It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR Nation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Just saw a report on CNN that basically said if Bush gets re-elected it will be on the back of what CNN calls the "NASCAR Nation". This would be people all over the country (not just the south) that support stock car racing. CNN estimates this to be about 41% of the population, all pro-Bush.

As a NASCAR fan I don't care to be pigeon-holed like that, but the fact is, I'll probably be voting for Bush.

So, is there a big right-wing conspiricy in auto racing or is CNN full of sh#t as usual?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The idea is that NASCAR fans in general have been supportive of the president or at least the Republican party. NASCARs core fans are seen as patriotic and conservative. Most races feature not just the Star-Spangled Banner and a Christian minister leading everyone in prayer, but also an accompanying military color guard and a flyover by members of the closest air base.

President Bush's appearance at Atlanta (at least I think it was Atlanta, as this is somewhat off the top of my head...) was certainly geared to place him with the popular stars of a popular sport. It's quite noticeable that he consciously made the effort to appear with Dale Earnhardt Jr and Tony Stewart, just to name two.

Considering both of them, along with many others in NASCAR's ranks, have had the opportunity to meet with the president and they openly show their support for him, it's generally considered a favorable environment for him. You can't tell me that the President doesn't understand the free publicity of being seen with Junior. That could sway some of those fans to vote for President Bush, believe it or not.

I don't know if you can say it's a conspiracy so much as the simple fact that a lot of these guys have similar political beliefs. The President is simply drumming up support where he knows his message will be well-received and highly visible.

Now all of this isn't true for all NASCAR fans obviously, because I'm definitely a NASCAR fan but I'm certainly not pro-Bush. But by and large though, the Republicans feel the NASCAR community is one they can count on for support at election time.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
It's not that NASCAR makes you a Bush supporter. It's just that people who like NASCAR also tend to be on the more conservative side of things.

Sort of like how we're not paranoid because we post on ATS. We post on ATS becasue we're paranoid

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
One thing for sure, if you watched the end of the Talladega race this weekend, it should indicate that this crowd is easily riled by the appearance of impropriety.

Candidated looking to this crowd for support should be wary their words are monitored for integrity, or they will shower you with trash, and offer several gestures and 'diplomatic' words.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDemonHunter
Considering both of them, along with many others in NASCAR's ranks, have had the opportunity to meet with the president and they openly show their support for him, it's generally considered a favorable environment for him. You can't tell me that the President doesn't understand the free publicity of being seen with Junior. That could sway some of those fans to vote for President Bush, believe it or not.

At what point have you ever seen a NASCAR driver openly support the President? The racers wanted the chance to meet him, they asked for it not him.

Also, that was at the Daytona 500 race. The President flew in and then left before the end just to show the fans that he cared about the sport.

At no time when the President was there did he make any kind of election reference (that was published).

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Cars, beer, white people and JASUS!!!

Of course Republicans can count on what they call the "NASCAR Dad" vote... as opposed to Kerry's "Soccer Moms".
Nascar Marketing Jesus and Bush

However, Bush is inept enough to almost blow his core constituency by calling them "Bubbas". Thankfully (for Bush) his core constintuency is too dumb to know when they've been insulted.
Bush to Start Your Engines

The Texas native hosted the top NASCAR drivers this December at the White House quipping "I see a lot of the 'Bubbas' who work on my administration showed up... I wonder why."
~President G.W. "Bubba" Bush

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
At what point have you ever seen a NASCAR driver openly support the President? The racers wanted the chance to meet him, they asked for it not him.

Also, that was at the Daytona 500 race. The President flew in and then left before the end just to show the fans that he cared about the sport.

At no time when the President was there did he make any kind of election reference (that was published).

Ah yes, Daytona.... sorry for the lack of brains on my last post. Don't know what I was thinking. Still in shock over Talladega, I guess.

Anyway, the France family has been openly supportive of the President and the Republican party. The Earnhardts have been firmly behind the Bush family, particularly since Jeb Bush signed the law that protected Dale Earnhardt's autopsy photos, but it's no secret that they're Republicans. Darrell Waltrip has also been vocal as a supporter of the Bush family in the past. I believe that he was invited to the inauguration of one of the Presidents Bush.

I don't have any articles in front of me, but I do know that some drivers have been publicly supportive of the president, even if not openly campaigning. And just for the record, the President already had many of those same drivers he was with at Daytona to the White House last year. It's not like he'd never met them before or vice-versa.

As for the President not making election references, he doesn't need to. If he's there and he's visible, that says it all when you're "preaching to the choir" so to speak. It's basically a big photo op, where a picture is worth a thousand words.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
NASCAR is the sh_t! I'm a home grown Southern boy and if you call me a 'redneck', I'll hunt you down!!

Seriously though, whats the problem? Advertisement is advertisement...its money for the teams and money for the sport. These comments regarding so and so family or so and so driver openly professing who they like and support or not is a right we all have....why are they any different? I don't know a sport today where when a player was to be asked his or hers personal presidential choice, etc. that they wouldn't come right out and say...you?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
NASCAR is the sh_t! I'm a home grown Southern boy and if you call me a 'redneck', I'll hunt you down!!

You stupid goddam redneck!

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seth BullockSo, is there a big right-wing conspiricy in auto racing or is CNN full of sh#t as usual?

After watching Sundays race, I will honestly believe there is a conspiracy if Jeff Gordon comes out in support of the President and Bush still has the Nascar vote. If my theory is correct it should have the same effect as the Al Gore/Michael Moore kiss of death for demo candidates.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Gosh dammit JohnNada!
I knew you would have to call me that......
Where again did you say you lived in the UK?!

seekerof

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Seriously though, whats the problem? Advertisement is advertisement...its money for the teams and money for the sport. These comments regarding so and so family or so and so driver openly professing who they like and support or not is a right we all have....why are they any different? I don't know a sport today where when a player was to be asked his or hers personal presidential choice, etc. that they wouldn't come right out and say...you?

I agree completely. I don't see anything wrong with drivers, team owners, sponsors, etc, discussing who they like. It's not like there's some giant conspiracy involved. I believe the President's appearance at Daytona was a well-planned attempt to gain public support, which is what you do in preparing for an election year.

I see no conspiracy here. Just a bunch of politically like-minded people who are highly visible showing their support. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
NASCAR is for rednecks and ppl who have nothing better to do than watching cars drive really fast in circles. sure there are crashes once in a while but who really cares about those anymore? Hell, if u want REAL racing, the kind with no rules and where anything goes, try illegal street racing. u get all the "fun" of nascar plus u actually get to see REALLY cool cars.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Where again did you say you lived in the UK?!
[Edited on 26-4-2004 by Seekerof]

HAHAHAHA!!! Anytime anywhere man. Pistols at dawn?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
silQ......
Its apparent that you haven't been to any of those NASCAR weekend driving schools like Richard Petty's Driving School? Please feel free to drive one of those cars around Charlotte Motor Speedway at about 180mph. Those drivers do faster than that. In any case, I'll be your 'redneck' and I LOVE to watch those cars go-round-n-round!

BTW, in those 'illegal street' races, any of those top prize worth hundred's of thousands of dollars...you know, like those guys get payed when they go "round-n-round"?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
NASCAR is for rednecks and ppl who have nothing better to do than watching cars drive really fast in circles. sure there are crashes once in a while but who really cares about those anymore? Hell, if u want REAL racing, the kind with no rules and where anything goes, try illegal street racing. u get all the "fun" of nascar plus u actually get to see REALLY cool cars.

Gimme a break. I drive an 03 Jetta GLi VR6 24 valve with a sweet after market chip and I'd trade it in a second for the car starting 43rd in the next crappy ARCA race.

Anyway, my original point, if as CNN said, Bush's NASCAR nation is 41% of the population, and he has the majority of the people who actually go to church instead of the track, sounds like this whole election is a foregone conclusion.

EDIT - Seeker, have you done Petty driving expeience? I'm saving my pennies for hte one in Vegas....

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by Seth Bullock]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Just thinking outloud...

many races are no longer in the south,
much of tv ratings are becouse of national exposure,
many teams owned by yankee's
NASCAR is the number ONE spectator sport

Weeee Dogies !

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seth Bullock
... if as CNN said, Bush's NASCAR nation is 41% of the population, and he has the majority of the people who actually go to church instead of the track...

Of course to consider that much of your population description is not a popular Democrat voting crowd.

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ

Um.... yeah... right....

We all have our personal preferences. I prefer to see racing done in an environment where the innocent aren't an unwitting part of the action if they happen to wind up in the way of an unsanctioned, uncontrolled event. There's this little thing called safety that you need to keep in mind.

If you want to run wide open with whatever type of cars (cool is a subjective term, and I find very little cool about the kind of cars you probably like), then I suggest you find a local dragstrip to provide a safe haven for your need for speed.

Meanwhile, this thread is about politics surrounding NASCAR, not the merits of which form of auto racing is best.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The voting block has been termed 'NASCAR Dads" by the poly sci guys, and the media picked-up on it. It replaces the 'Soccer Mom' moniker. People love their soundbites!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join