It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Secretary's Message to Employees Along The Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

To DHS employees working near the Southwest border:

Understandably, many of you working along the border or at other ports of entry into the United States have many questions about protecting the integrity of our borders, as well as your health and the safety of you and your family as result of the reported outbreak of swine flu. With all of the uncertainties surrounding this virus, we have been working with the Centers for Disease Control to obtain better guidance on actions each of you can take.

The interim guidance CDC has developed recommends actions you can take personally as well as what to do if you encounter someone you assess to be exhibiting symptoms consistent with an influenza-like illness.

Guidance for Passive Surveillance

Should you encounter travelers who appear unwell, including those with a cough or apparent fever:

* Separate that individual to a private room or area maintaining six feet of distance from employees and the public
* After separating the traveler from others, the CDC quarantine station should be notified
* To protect others, the ill traveler should wear a surgical mask
* A room that separates the ill traveler from the airspace of others is preferred

Additional Guidance for Employees

* CDC recommends that a distance of six feet should be maintained between all employees and someone who appears ill
* The use of N95 masks are suggested if an employee must maintain closer contact than the six feet of distance

The interim recommendations also provide additional guidance for the use of surgical masks, gloves, and hand sanitizers. As always, hand washing is suggested following frequent contact with an ill traveler as well as when interacting with the traveling public in general.

If DHS is prompted to deliver protective measures to our employees along the border and at ports of entry, the Office of Health Affairs is prepared to work through the appropriate component management channels to ship, store, and distribute equipment and antivirals.

Employees working along the border and at ports of entry should closely review the guidance at www.cdc.gov/swineflu

We will continue to send guidance as needed.

As always, thank you for what you continue to do for the Department and the country.

Sincerely,

Janet Napolitano

Secretary

This E-mail was sent to my box Monday 4/27/09 at 8:00 AM

I find it odd that the E-mail would be sent to everyone. Especially since this is not supposed to be a pandemic.
This e-mail leads me to believe that it is a pandemic and they arent telling us everything we need to know.

Insight would be most helpful. And I will post more E-mails as they come along.
If you doubt the credibility I can foward you the e-mail. [email protected]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Semper,

Are you a DHS Border agent?

If not this could very well be a hoax email, or someone looking out for people by informing them what to do, but trying to get as many people to look at it by making it look official.

One of the things that really strikes me as strange and and makes me skeptical is the usage of the term "swine flu", especailly after DHS made a statement saying to stop calling it that, and start calling the flu H1N1.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I am a SN in the United States Coast Guard which is under the Department of Homeland Security ever since 9-11. It came from VADM Crea. What I dont get is why was it sent to the Coast Guard when it's the job of the U.S Border Patrol. We in the coast Guard Protect the Waterways, So I dont understand why we got the E-mail

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I got the same email and I don't work for DHS...
However as a truck driver I am on their list as a contract transportation contractor... guess its going to evenyone in their database???

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
I got the same email and I don't work for DHS...
However as a truck driver I am on their list as a contract transportation contractor... guess its going to evenyone in their database???

I dont understand why though because shouldn't it only be for those that constantly scour the border??? It just doesnt make much sense to me. Border Patrol and those that constantly have to transfer cargo around that area yes, but im all the way in Cleveland.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
You should check with your CO because... I had a friend drive 2 hours last night and paid for a 300 dollar dinner to get some real information on this and this last part bolded is untrue..

If DHS is prompted to deliver protective measures to our employees along the border and at ports of entry, the Office of Health Affairs is prepared to work through the appropriate component management channels to ship, store, and distribute equipment and antivirals.

They DO NOT have an antiviral for this YET. (Tamiflu is helping)They have been trying to get the seed stock out of the CDC"s hands so they can start a vaccine. This is already a pandemic that part is true. I was also told that we can expect many death's here in the US this week, because of the fact it has already had upwards of 30 days in our country to spread.
The protection measure's are exactly what I was told. BUT make sure that the hand sanitizer has isopropyl(sp? just woke) in it! If it doesn't it is worthless to kill off the germ's.
Secondly eat healthy, stay away from processed foods that have high amounts of sugar and caffenine. Especially coffee it not only contains caffinee but a couple acid compunds that can make your stomach irritated. (yeah I know the men in my family drink it like water too.)
Try and stay well hydrated and take alot of vitamin c and when ya cook use lots of natural herbs instead of the dried one's in a jar.
Other than that what I was told was to expect it to get real ugly soon. Because a lot of countries are already freaking out over it.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
What did you mean the last part bolded???

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SemperParatusRJCC

I don't understand why though because shouldn't it only be for those that constantly scour the border??? It just doesn't make much sense to me. Border Patrol and those that constantly have to transfer cargo around that area yes, but im all the way in Cleveland.

I'm just guessing mind you but maybe in fear of missing someone they opted to just send it to everyone... heck what do I know maybe when networks guys got the mail to send out they were to far from a save Crystal to think on it and hit the send all button?

[edit on 29-4-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Maybe, but it still doesn't sound right, and it doesnt feel right either. Its going to spread, that much I can see happening by the pandemic map. I can provide a link as well so that you can watch and warn loved ones.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I just found another mistake, there is a spelling error with "travellers" in the email.

Semper, I'm not trying to be mean or anything like that, you're reporting on the email that you got. And wanted to spread the word out. And thats a compassionate and honorable thing. I'm not saying your at fault or making any accusations whatsoever.

I honestly thinking that this is a hoax with the best intentions. And the original writer/e-mail spoofer/hoaxer was hoping that the email would spread virally (pardon the pun), and get the word out to get the public to be more safe.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SemperParatusRJCC
I am a SN in the United States Coast Guard which is under the Department of Homeland Security ever since 9-11. It came from VADM Crea. What I dont get is why was it sent to the Coast Guard when it's the job of the U.S Border Patrol. We in the coast Guard Protect the Waterways, So I dont understand why we got the E-mail

I think the key words are ........"other ports of entry into the United States"
I would imagine as Coast Guards ~ that is your responsibility .

Understandably, many of you working along the border or at other ports of entry into the United States have many questions about protecting the integrity of our borders

Though Mexico is still the greatest suppository for the virus , it is no longer confined to one country .

[edit on 29-4-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That would make sense. Though why would it say "To DHS employees working near the Southwest border" Why not Attn. All hands DHS. Something to catch our attention. Though now I can see where you are coming from. I will also keep you all updated everytime I get an E-mail from VADM Crea

top topics

join