It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seal the border with Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Having identified the source of this virus as Mexico, and now that the US has it's first confirmed death, in a border state no less, why are we not taking action to restrict all travel to Mexico and seal the border crossings?

Doesn't it just make good sense?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
We should have done this to begin with. However its far far to late now. Id be willing to bet every state but hawaii has it by now.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Lets see, what other redeeming value can Mexico give us, at this point? (end sarcasm) Many other 1st rate nations are taking steps much more aggressively than the US, to thwart the spread of this swine flu Bull crap. CDC is a joke, HLS is a joke. How much more of this non stop ass rape are we supposed to endure?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
It's also in Canada and the USA so with your logic of sealing the Mexico border shouldn't we seal the Canadian/USA borders as well? Restrict all travel to USA, Canada and Mexico. Doesn't it make good sense?

It's past the point of containment, it's already here. So closing borders isn't going to do anything now. If it was going to be done it should have been done 2 weeks ago. Too late now.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I don't have a link, but I just heard that the baby that died in Texas was brought here from Mexico by his family in search of better medical care, after they knew he was infected.

Even if that ultimately is proved to be untrue, I have no doubt that there are hundreds or thousands of other Mexicans bringing their infected relatives here in search of treatment.

I agree with those of you who say we should have done this 2 weeks ago, but I still think there is a huge benefit to us helping control this disease if we seal the borders.

But we have to do it NOW, and get the military down there to police the entire border.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a few things.....

there is no way to seal the border, if there was we wouldn't have an illegal immigration issue

the virus is already spread around the world, so even if you could seal it...too little too late

Going to the extreme of tryin to completely seal the border is foolish, since swine flu is hardly the raging deadly virus that the media and some total idiots are making it out to be. Maybe we should start sealing the border next time a tourist gets the runs from eating at a taco cart too huh?

Bottom line: sealing the border, dumb idea.

thread closed.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by liquidsmoke206]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
a few things.....

there is no way to seal the border, if there was we wouldn't have an illegal immigration issue

You've heard of Korea, right? They have a pretty big border, 155 miles to be precise - have you ever tried walking across that?

Or how about the East/West border during the Cold War, that was even longer, and only a handful ever managed to cross that.

We don't have a lack of ability to seal the border, we have a lack of WILL to seal the border.

It is perfectly feasible.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Do you know 100% that it started in Mexico? I think that is still up for debate.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, people are dying in Mexico. But could it also be that many died because they waited too late to see a doctor thinking it was a common cold.

Having identified the source of this virus as Mexico,

Where is the source to back this statement up? I believe you said you don't have one, so I guess it is safe to say that the source of the virus is not confirmed.

Closing the border is not going to help IMO. People will still find a way to get across if their life depends on it.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If the border were that easy to seal, then Lou Dobbs would have done it himself a long time ago.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
retseh,

have you ever heard of apples and oranges?

nuff said.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well since patient zero has now been confirmed as a Mexican child living in close proximity to a large pig farm, I believe that we can now definitively say that the source is indeed Mexico.

Either way, they have the highest number of cases, and every single international case has been tied back to Mexico as the source.

So seal the border eh?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
retseh,

have you ever heard of apples and oranges?

nuff said.

Yes, I believe that 90% of the California crop is picked by illegal aliens.

Nuff said.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
NO, it doesn't make good sense, it makes no sense.

According to the CDC, regular old influenza kills about 36 THOUSAND people a year in this country. How many people has swine flu killed in this country? One?

You're clearly more terrified of swine flu, which has a much, much lower mortality rate.

Why?

Because you've been duped by the news coverage? This is a wonderful example of reverse psychology - the talking heads on the news tell you not to panic, and it's the first thing you do.

Close the border! Wear a mask! Don't associate with Mexicans, they could be contagious!

It's so ludicrous..I can't even muster the energy to deride it further.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
It's too late. That should have been done two or three weeks ago BEFORE it crossed the border. It's off and running and there is no way to stop it now.

WyrdeOne .. this is NOT like the regular flu so those stats are useless. This is a swine/avian/human hybrid which has the potential to act like the 1918 flu that killed tens of millions.

You don't wait until it actually starts killing tens of millions before you close borders and schools. You are supposed to get ahead of it.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Sealing the boarder (if 100% possible) might slow it down but wouldnt keep the USA from exposure. What would need to happen is ALL shipping, airports, borders would have to close. In effect, the USA would have to be completely cut off from the rest of the world (other than communications) but even then with all that, it probably wouldn't put a complete stop to the spread of the virus.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

and every single international case has been tied back to Mexico as the source.

Then please explain the ties to Mexico of the two children near San Diego that contracted the virus in late March?

Federal, state and local health officials are investigating why two kids in California got infected with a new swine flu in late March without getting into contact with pigs or with each other.

The 10-year-old boy from San Diego County and the nine-year-old girl from neighboring Imperial County recovered from the H1N1 subtype of influenza A, which is rare in humans, and there are no indication the virus is spreading, U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) officials said Tuesday.

www.vitabeat.com...

Well since patient zero has now been confirmed as a Mexican child living in close proximity to a large pig farm, I believe that we can now definitively say that the source is indeed Mexico.

You are still making an assumption because you have no proof this pig farm is the source.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by jam321]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
We need to control the damage already done. If there is a run on hospitals- who will be the people getting the limited anti-viral drugs? We have 50million doses. We have 300+million citizens. We have an unknown drain on our resources crossing our borders. There is no way to know how long it will be until the U.S. runs out of anti-viral meds. When that happens the mortality rate will go up astronomically. That is why Mexicans are running for our borders to get, free, life saving drugs. To be blunt: my tax dollars paid for it, I fought for it (I am a military member), I want to preserve my way of life, and protect my children from any danger. If that means turning the sick away to die in there country so U.S. citizens can live- so be it. If you want an open border, you go cross into Mexico. Otherwise call your congressman, call DHS, or protest in the streets... Tell the government to deploy troops to the southern border. We have several thousand in Texas waiting...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Another Point: The number of confirmed cases in the U.S. has roughly doubled each day since Friday. To confirm a case of swine flu a sample needs to be shipped to the CDC, tested and other processes are involved. The actual number of infected people will remain unknown. An estimate of people infected is reported for Mexico. The fatalities are also estimates (based on the fact reports come out before cause of death is established). So for what it is worth the AP is reporting a 6:100 (159 dead 2500 infected) mortality rate for the swine flu in Mexico. So do the math. If half of the 300+million U.S. citizens get sick and 6 out of 100 die that is a total of... 300/2=150/3=50 [6:100/2=3:50] 50x3:3x3=150:9.......... or 150+million sick 9 million dead... the common flu doesn't kill or infect this fast... and uhh yea, we only have 50 million anti-viral meds... I wonder what the numbers will look like when we run out of effective medicine to combat this swine flu for the other 100 million citizens (assuming only half of us get sick and we only treat citizens).
good day

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

this is NOT like the regular flu so those stats are useless. This is a swine/avian/human hybrid which has the potential to act like the 1918 flu that killed tens of millions.

Where did you hear that?

Swine flu is swine flu, human flu is human flu, and avian flu is avian flu. If and when they mingle, they may be completely innocuous, or very deadly.

Seriously, who is coming up with this notion that the swine flu is a deadly hybrid strain? The symptoms are standard flu-like symptoms, and in the vast majority of cases they clear up without incident after some rest.

ANY influenza virus has the potential to achieve pandemic status and kill tens of millions of people - it's a constantly evolving pathogen. I don't understand what all the fuss is about..fact of life on this planet, no more or less scary than any other day at the office, so to speak.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Then please explain the ties to Mexico of the two children near San Diego that contracted the virus in late March?

Seeing as how this happened in southern california, a more appropriate question would be - "prove the disease didn't come over the nearby border".

You are still making an assumption because you have no proof this pig farm is the source.

Did IQs just suddenly drop around here? The child is PATIENT ZERO, he has been identified as THE SOURCE of the outbreak, the proximity of a pig farm is incidental but noteworthy.

Don't you get it, the scientific community is confirming Mexico as the source, infectious outbreaks around the world are being directly linked to Mexican related travel.

Our failure to be decisive and proactive in situations like this will one day be our downfall.

top topics

join