posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:29 AM
I have sen TONS of threads about this flu. Most of them consisted of updates, panic, and questions. It has become clear to me that the News is not
going to give us any REAL ways to avoid this problem aside from the obvious washing of the hands and all of the common sense tactics. I feel that
everyone on ATS should come together and post ways to keep from coming in contact with this thing. I'm going to start it off with something I posted
in a thread earlier. These are 7 easy things you can do to avoid this sickness. Also, I suggest that everyone start their sanitation of your homes. I
started with the computer, phone, and door knobs.. High traffic in my house there.
1. Get enough sleep. Your immune system functions much better when you get enough sleep. Most people really need about 8 hours per night for optimal
health. If you're body is fatigued, it simply won't be able to fight off the flu virus (or any other infection) very well.
2. Exercise regularly. Exercise helps keep your immune system strong. In fact, a recent study showed that mice who performed mild exercise as soon as
they were exposed to the flu virus had much lower death rates. Read about the study here.
3. Avoid sugar. Even small amounts of sugar can significantly impair your immune function, making you more susceptible to a flu infection. A large
amount of sugar, such as the amount found in a normal can of soda, hurts your immune function for hours.
4. Drink lots of pure water. Keeping your mucous membranes well-hydrated is a key to helping them fight off viruses. Shoot for about eight 8-ounce
glasses per day.
5. Reduce stress. Too much stress has a highly negative impact on your overall health and, over time, it will make you much more susceptible to a flu
infection. Studies show that prolonged stress is at least partially responsible for 90% of all illness and disease. Regular exercise and sufficient
sleep both help reduce stress levels. Also, meditation is a proven stress-buster that is easy, enjoyable and can be used on a daily basis.
6. Wash your hands often. Also, carry a bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer with you and use it frequently, especially after you touch anything
that others have touched recently (like doorknobs).
7. Eat immune-boosting foods on a daily basis. A healthy diet, including a few proven immune-boosting foods, is one of the best ways to avoid catching
the flu. The best flu-fighting foods are:
* Fresh, organically grown fruits and vegetables - Brightly colored fruits and vegetables are packed with healthy phytonutrients that can
strengthen your immune system, lowering your susceptibility to the flu virus.
* Fresh raw or lightly-cooked garlic - Garlic has strong natural antiviral properties that can help to fight off a flu virus. Also, garlic
provides a strong boost to your immune system, especially when eaten on a regular basis.
* Green Tea - Like garlic, green tea has shown the ability to both kill viruses and to stimulate the immune system to fight off flu infections,
especially when used daily. Try to drink 3-6 cups of strong green tea per day during the flu season.
* Cayenne Pepper - Cayenne has a long list of health benefits and is believed to be a mild immune-booster. Also, cayenne contains large amounts of
natural vitamin A, considered to be an important "anti-infection" nutrient.