It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If NASA landed on the moon then, why not now?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I am a firm believer that we have never reached the moon, but I have this question that has been bugging me for years. You see, if NASA really did reach the moon, why don't we hear projects from them about going back there doing research and stuff? I mean, if they were capable then, why not now? Thanks for the replies.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I saw something a few months back about how they were thinking of going back.

I think that we should concentrate on going to other planets. What research do we need to do on the moon? What would be the point?

The reason we went to the moon in the first place was because we heard that another country was trying to go.

You know the whole space race thing.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by OhRico

Like to be the first to welcome you, Rico.

That is a good question, many have asked it. Just to be clear, I am of the opinion (based on personal observation and being a bit long in the tooth) that the Apollo was true, as seen.

Having said that, if you 'search' on ATS you will find many alternative thoughts, and you are free to judge for yourself!

Only advice (not that you asked) just focus on the question, and take in all of the answers. Draw your own conclusions.

You will encounter varying opinions....some not fully backed up by science, nor science facts. (There will be exceptions). I mentioned, in a thread earlier (not to blow my horn) that some folk are stuck in two-dimensional thought. Expansion of one's knowledge is always a good idea!

Again, welcome.

I was editing....jd140, he's a good guy.....OK, carry on.....

[edit on 4/29/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Either because there's no more research to be done on the moon, or the ETs don't want us there and using it as their base.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

jd....a good base, from the Moon. Lower gravity well, for future InterPlanetary missions. Just one idea for establishing a permanent base.

Problem?? International rivalries. And, 'ownership' of the Moon. Truly, we think there will be battles over territories at the North Pole, on Earth??

Not to mention, the 'next' frontier..."Antarctica".

This conflict will translate to the Moon....or any other ExtraTerrestrial planet....UNTIL or unless we have ONE unified voice, on this planet. AND, THAT will require quite a few generations.

This pretty well sums up the problem.....Human Beings, as a species, are ill-equipped at this point in time, to comprehend anything greater than "America's Top Model", or whatever is culturally relevant to his/her culture at any given moment.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by OhRico

I think this extract answers several aspects of your question...

NASA's current plan for manned space exploration focuses on establishing a base on the moon, as a vital stepping stone for a visit to Mars. The initiative has been trumpeted by the Bush administration, which wants the first mission to launch by 2020. But trouble is brewing as a growing group of former mission managers, planetary scientists and astronauts argues against any manned moon mission at all. One alternative, they say: Send astronauts to an asteroid as a better preparation for a Martian landing.
Dissent Grows as Scientists Oppose NASA’s New Moon Mission

We haven't gone back since the 70s because of money, political necessity, political expediency and disagreement between various Government Departments and NASA. The implications of cost means that the next time we land, it's going to be for reasons that add to previous gains in knowledge. Exploration seems to come some way down the list of priorities and with a recession and excessive debts building, isn't changing soon...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

Well we are broke for one thing but yes we will be going BACK to the moon it's in the works. The reason we stopped going was because of two reasons really one they wanted to save money to build the shuttle fleet and second because everybody pretty much got bored with the Apollo flights. There were two or three more flights that were planned that got canceled. We beat the Soviets to the moon and the public lost interest no need to spend billions if you don't have to.

Returning To The Moon

In January 2004 President Bush announced his plan to send Americans back to the moon and onto Mars. Those bold goals—which NASA estimates it could achieve by 2018 and 2030, respectively—would at last free the nation of the 25-year drudgery of the shuttle program. The idea raised eyebrows--not least because of its price tag, distant target dates and suspicious initial timing, at the start of the 2004 election cycle. In the two years since, however, funding has been forthcoming and design work has begun, with aerodynamic testing on scale models under way at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala. While political and fiscal obstacles could still scuttle the whole plan, the ships taking shape in the NASA labs are winning deserved raves.

NASA unveils moon program

(CNN) -- NASA Administrator Michael Griffin rolled out NASA's plan for the future Monday, including new details about the spaceship intended to replace the shuttle and a timeline for returning astronauts to the moon in 2018.

Russia wants to join NASA moon program

MOSCOW - Rivals for lunar conquest four decades ago, Russia hopes to join the U.S. moon exploration program with technology and know-how, a Russian space agency spokesman said Thursday.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

bl4ke....see my post just after yours.

HE3, for instance, as a possibility of mining on the Moon. HE3 is a possible isotope to be used for cold-fusion technologies. Rare, on Earth, seemingly abundant on the Moon. Cost of excavating, and trasporting back to Earth...should make oil-baron's mouths water, with the potential of avarice!!!!

OR!! Cut them out, someone else make a profit! Maybe the Western World, for a change! Blow the Middle East back to the Middle Ages!!!!

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The US will not send manned missions back to the moon or to Mars. With the current left-wing, politically-correct, nanny-state mentality that infects most of the federal government bureaucracies (including NASA), the risks involved in a manned lunar or Mars mission would never be acceptable. And gutless, popularity conscious political hacks like Obama, would never approve a program that had even a hint of risk.

The reliability engineers at NASA predicted early on that 1 in every 50 space shuttle flights would fail and probably result in the loss of the crew. The shuttle program has had 2 failures in 125 missions, so the program has been somewhat "safer" than predicted. But even though it was safer than predicted, look at how much angst there was over the two program failures (Challenger and Columbia) that occurred.

The US won't pursue a risky manned mission to someplace like Mars, but other more totalitarian governments like China or India certainly will eventually.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Because the moon is occupied by non humans.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by OhRico
I am a firm believer that we have never reached the moon, but I have this question that has been bugging me for years. You see, if NASA really did reach the moon, why don't we hear projects from them about going back there doing research and stuff? I mean, if they were capable then, why not now? Thanks for the replies.
\

maybe because its been proven we cannot travel to the moon (beyond the asteroid belt) it is too dangerous

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PeterGriffin

Wait. What? The Moon is beyond the asteroid belt?
I never do this but I'll make an exception:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
lol, i dont know much about space, i just know it has been said we cannot travel to the moon because of radiation and meteors...maybe i misstook that as the asteroid belt, but im sure you know what im talking about

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

How can we be sure that there aren't any classified DoD(or otherwise) Moon mining operations for HE3 excavation already?

Heh, just a thought.

[edit on 2-5-2009 by GateCrasher]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

PeterGriffin?

With such a cool name, really???

The Moon is 'beyond the asteroid belt'?????

Truly, you need to study your Astronomy better!!!

Here...enjoy...learn. (Be sure to put your headphones on)!!

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
thanks weedwhacker..great post...can anyone in here tell me why i have posted 2 posts now over the past 2 days about a pre 9/11 dream and both got delted??i am looking.searching for help......anyway that vid was great...thank you

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Peter....did you "start" a thread?

If not, try to remember the title of the thread(s) you posted in, then use the 'search' button.

Or, look for, under the 'Board' button, the Introduction Forum. Post there, someone (likely a Mod) will be happy to help!

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Check your U2U's

[edit on 5/2/2009 by semperfortis]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join