It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only Pedophiles Play Animal Crossing Say Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Slightly old, as in last month, but it hasn't been posted and it's very interesting.

"There is no reason an adult should have [Animal Crossing: City Folk]," says Andy Anderson, Mid-Missouri Internet Crimes Task Force.

Anderson says adults playing "Animal Crossing" and similar games are likely doing it for the wrong reasons.

Astounding. I don't think I should even have to mention that it's impossible for an adult to get in contact with a random child through Animal Crossing without first acquiring his friend code in real life, so what gives?

hellforge.gameriot.com...

This is close to home for me, because I am an adult who LOVES Animal Crossing. For those who don't know, Animal Crossing is a lot like the Sims. You play a boy or girl who lives in a town with animals, where you collect bugs, fossils, fish, and furniture, while trying to pay off your house with the in game currency, Bells. You quickly make friends with the animals, and they can move out and others move in.

The two most recent games, Wild World and City Folk have had online play. Our biggest issue has NOT been pedophilia, but rather item hacking to put rocks and buildings in front of crucial buildings in other's towns. The most you do in another person's town is play hide and seek, race, or catch fish. Sometimes you'll go to get an item you need for an animal's quest.

This game is about escapism, and many, MANY adults play it. It's a way to destress. Even if we do play with kids, there are swear filters and it's hard to communicate without Wii Speak. Even then, unless you know them IRL, you probably live thousands of miles from them, and if they feel threatened, they can block you from their town completely.

This is just another stupid politician trying to make us adults live boring lives, trying to control us and stop us from being happy. No matter who tells me to, I will NOT give up Animal Crossing. And I am not a pedophile.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

I'm late 30's, and I got Animal Crossing for my kids. But, I have the golden fishing rod, the golden watering can, the golden shovel...so, yeah, I like to play the game too. I see the point of warning parents to watch their kids whenever they are online, even playing a game. That has nothing to do with the game itself.

I know that there are websites where people can go to find friends to let them into their town...mostly to get fruit or fish. So, kids might be talking to people who they have no business talking to...online, which then transfers to the game.

We don't do the online web-play. So, I don't worry about Animal Crossing.

But to associate the game like that is wrong. Sheesh!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I tried it for the GameCube because it looked like a fairly unique and imaginative game. I played for a few months, offline only because the GameCube didn't really utilize it's modem for anything except for PSO. Got my house paid off and upgraded, completed the museum digs, and the just ran around at midnight being prickish by beating on my neighbors houses with my shovel/axe and digging pitfall traps. The save file took up an entire memory card (which came with the game), so I eventually just deleted it all and used the card for more PSO characters and haven't touched it since.

Not really my kind of game, and I certainly wouldn't want to play it online - with kids or adults. But I don't think it's indicative of child molestation either.

join