It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minimal Posts in the Writing Forums

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Quite often, as we read a piece of work someone has done, whether it's a short story or a poem, we are moved to say something.

Good criticism, both pro and con, is always appreciated a great deal by the author (or, at least, should be).

We are a community of writers here on ATS, BTS and a lesser degree in Media.

But in the Writing Forums in particular, we should be able to post more than just a line or two saying that you enjoyed reading something. We should also be able to express WHY we liked it.

What did it mean for you?
How did it affect your mood?
Was it the way the poem or story was written?
Was it the choice of words?
Did it evoke an emotion... anger, joy and everything in between?

What I'm getting at is that just saying you liked something doesn't help the author at all.
Neither would just saying you didn't.

It's what else you can say that really helps.

[edit on 1/5/09 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I've tried to post a reply in the writing forum, but evidentally I'm not allowed to because I'm not a member. Why do you have to be a member of that forum to be able to say, "Hey, I really enjoyed your story, it...bla bla bla....etc.?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

If you like to write just request writer status from world watcher there are a few guide lines they go by before they dub you writer. I think it's to keep out the people who will just jump in and talk nonsense.

Having people that enjoy writing being the only one that can post in the forums limits a bunch of nonsense and allows for constructive criticism from other writers who aren't out just to bash on ideas like a lot of people are on the other boards. Just my opinion though.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I like to write, but my writing is not something I would like to share on this board. It's mostly a journal---my life events. I do love to read other's stories, poems, etc.

If I don't have to write anything to be a member, then I'll ask.

Sorry masqua, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

You can request nothing wrong with that. Who knows you may have an occasional brainfart like me and write something for all to read.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Clarification.

Writing forums:

Short Stories - open to ALL members

Collaborative Writing - for those with Writer status only. In collaborative efforts, it's best that posts related to the story being created is left only to those who are actively engaged in it. For an example, please read this:

The Voyages of the Penelope and the Yydryl

You can see immediately that non-participatory posts would be a problem.

This is why the forum is for writers only.

[edit on 29/4/09 by masqua]

new topics

top topics

join