It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Lawmaker Wants Mileage-Based Tax on Vehicles

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Top Lawmaker Wants Mileage-Based Tax on Vehicles

news.yahoo.com

A House committee chairman wants to enact a mileage-based tax now rather than wait years to test the idea.
Rep. James Oberstar, D-Minn., said he sees no point in waiting since such a tax system is inevitable as gasoline tax revenues decline.
"Why do we need a pilot program? Why don't we just phase it in?" said Oberstar, the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee chairman. Oberstar is drafting a transportation bill that is around a half trillion dollars.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hosted.ap.org

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
"Cap-and-Trade" to fund health care? Higher gasoline and electricity costs to force lower consumption? Ownership of banks and manufacturers to control corproate payscales and operations?

What else can the governmentof "hope and change" do to 'help' cash-strapped workers and students?

How about tax them for driving?

Gas tax revenues — the primary source of federal funding for highway programs — have dropped dramatically in the last two years, first because gas prices were high and later because of the economic downturn. They will likely continue going down as drivers switch to fuel efficient and alternative fuel vehicles.

A mileage-based tax has been unpopular in states where it has been proposed, mainly because it unfairly penalizes drivers with long commutes or who live in rural areas, and intrudes on privacy.

A commission on transportation finance recommended a vehicle-miles traveled tax, but estimated it would take a decade to put a national system in place.

Another committee member, Rep. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., recommended that the transportation bill include pilot programs in every state to test the viability of a mileage-based tax. Blumenauer said public acceptance, not technology, is the main obstacle to a mileage-based tax.

Pilot programs would increase public awareness and comfort and hasten the day Congress could make the transition according to Blumenauer.

The tax would work by equipping vehicles with GPS technology to determine how many miles a car has been driven and whether on highways or local roads. They would then calculate the amount of tax owed.

Oberstar spokesman Jim Berard said there is a strong need to find revenue, and that a miles-traveled tax is logical, and perhaps a replacement for fuel taxes.

deny ignorance

jw

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
They've been talking about this in Kaleeforneea for a year or more. It doesn't seem to be very smart idea, specialy in states where the average commute is 40-50 miles one way or more! If this guy is still in office next election, we'll know there's no intelligent life in that state!LOL
!!

Zindo

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Ok so I do not want to sound like a whiney little kid, but man. That is just not fair. I live in BFE and have to commute to work, and now they're talking about taxing my milage to get to where I work, and pay even more taxes? Not to mention the fact that I pay taxes on gas and my car already.

It's silly. They would literally be taxing us to go pay more in taxes at wherever we're driving to go spend money.

I don't want a GPS unit in my car anyway. Way too big brother.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The real trouble with this mileage tax is that fuel taxes won't go away.
The government never fails to keep a tax in place even when they say they will eventually repeal it.
The county where I live enacted a wheel tax on vehicles,15 dollars per vehicle. This tax was supposed to lower the property taxes. Now 20 years later our property taxes are high,and the wheel tax is now 40 dollars per vehicle.

Once they get the money rolling in,they just increase the costs. Someone should shove something green up congress's tail pipe!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
We need to penalize people that bought fuel efficient cars.

If they don't pay enough taxes when they buy their gas, we'll get the money somehow.

How dare those hybrid drivers think they can avoid paying their fair share.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
How dare those hybrid drivers think they can avoid paying their fair share.

My thoughts exactly. Lets punish the people who bought fuel-efficient cars too. How dare they decrease the taxes they pay by using less gas.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
We must, must rebel against taxes and taxes and taxes. We are but cash cows. They believe they own us and have no fear whatever to run their traps about new taxes.

This is part of the world socialization thinking. Tax the taxable and spend it all over the earth. Health care my a**.

Over 300,000$ for the Obama flyover and they want more taxes. They are junkies!

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Originally posted by Heatburger

... now they're talking about taxing my milage to get to where I work, and pay even more taxes? Not to mention the fact that I pay taxes on gas and my car already.
They would literally be taxing us to go pay more in taxes at wherever we're driving to go spend money.

This was 1st proposed a while back, and we were told it wasn't true. Now Congress is seriously considering it.

When will Obama & Co. admit that they may drop Income Taxes for many, but will get it back in spades with fuel and energy taxes?

What a charade! How many still believe this is still the best we can do for our people and environment?

jw

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Originally posted by daddyroo45

The real trouble with this mileage tax is that fuel taxes won't go away. The government never fails to keep a tax in place even when they say they will eventually repeal it.

They say this will someday replace the fuel tax, but I'd have to agree with you that the agencies and programs funded by fuel taxes (highway and infrastructure developers) will never let go of such an insidious and 'invisible' source of OUR money.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Oberstar..sounds contrived..

Anyway this guy is a tax hound. And the tax as your drive is obsurd.

HEY Oberstar..listen to this

A: Property taxes go to roads and schools..

B: local sales taxes go to local programs and services..

C: Do your job without harming americans even more with your tea
totelling, do you Oberstar want a monarchy? I can be king of america, and you can be my jester...ill parade you around on a chain..for extra humorous effect..then your tax by the mile will be worthy of passing.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Originally posted by mastermind77

Anyway this guy (Rep. Oberstar) is a tax hound. And the tax as you drive is obsurd.

Is this part of Obama's "stimulus:"

"Oberstar is drafting a transportation bill that is around a half trillion dollars."

How many dollars/mile does it take to generate $500,000,000,000? And they expect us to believe that they'll end the Federal gasoline tax?

When is enough, enough?

jw

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I think this is more about restricting movement rather than a tax grab. The way the economy is now, with many families' incomes decreasing, this would be a great way to restrict their travels.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I can see a booming industry if they were to pass some blindingly stupid legislation like this: disabling or removing said taxation devices
In all seriousness however somebody needs to beat this guy with a dead snake or something, its completely !@#$ing absurd to have my travels taxed (see also: curtailed). Of course now that the Democrats are approaching the point where they cannot be filibustered then its full steam ahead for the usual bad ideas that Congress comes up with.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
they just love milking the motorist cash cow..they know the car driver has know option but to pay...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
How about a crime-based tax on vehicles.? Every speeding or red-light violation means an additional $1000 tax sent to the highway fund. A DUI should be $5000. Make the criminals pay, not the law-abiding citizen.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

It's not a 'gasoline tax', it's a fuel tax. People that use alternative fuels are suppose to pay the tax, much like people are suppose to pay the states sales tax on items purchased outside of that state (in most states).

People that use alternative fuels, and do not pay the tax on those fuels are guilty of tax evasion.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I love to see this kind of Wise Man nonsense promoted by politicians who know they will not be affected as to their lifestyles of more mileage traveled. They are politically immune from this while foisting this stuff off on others.

The correct name for this kind of nonsense is "FEUDALISM." Royalty..a separate class of people immune from the laws they woefully foist off on others to finance programs guaranteed to keep them in office for another term.

Another name For this kind of nonsense is 'WHOREDOM"

Whoredom ..the buying, selling, and trading of the souls of others for lucre, profit, votes. All are the same thing from and for a politician.

Feudalism, Royalty, and Whoredom have been and are more so slated to become the buy word for the body politic in this country.

THe translation of all this is that they are going to bend the American worker over the table while making him work more for less to support more of this political whoredom by entitlement.

And Entitlement is another word for feudalism, royalty etc etc et al.

Please remember this about your politicians who vote for this nonsense...that they will be immune from the effects of these taxes they foist on the rest of us.

Our politicians will be flying in government aircraft ..driving in government cars or limousines... etc etc..on the government dole. Common sense people.

Remember this too when our whorish media shills and cheers for their respective political parties who also support this nonsense. For this is surely coming.

Get ready folks
Buckle up.

Orangetom

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heatburger I live in BFE and have to commute to work, and now they're talking about taxing my milage to get to where I work, and pay even more taxes? Not to mention the fact that I pay taxes on gas and my car already.

Here's what's likely going to be an unpopular notion, but does a milage-based tax not come closer to establishing a fair 'user-pay' fee on road use? The argument can be made that why should somebody who lives in the city and takes transit instead of driving, be called upon to subsidise the roads needed to accommodate urban sprawl? Paying taxes is always a pig...but it's tough to balance out user-pay versus societal good at the best of times..

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It has nothing to do with taxation or the road system. Its a political power play. They're trying to raise the cost of living in rural and semi-rural areas in an attempt to drive those people into the cities. They know that if they can get them out of those rural areas and into the cities, they can also destroy the self-sufficiency and traditional values prevalent in most rural areas that have plagued the Democratic party for years.

That's what cap-and-trade is about, too. It may raise electricity costs on everyone, but who gets hurt the worst? The poor. Who tends to be poorer on average? People in rural and semi-rural areas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join