It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously need a good mask?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I see a lot of people asking "What is a good mask"? "Which type"? "Is a N99 mask ok"?

Well, I have used several types of mask over the years...

Ones like the FFP3 or the N99 are ok for short term use only.. They are prone to tear, get wet in the rain, fall apart and the straps can come away from the mask itself..

So what else can we use?

How about one of these (or similar) MAXIMASK 2000 15.00 GB pounds from most builders merchants or hardware stores.. replacable filters that simply twist off and on..

The premium half mask, offering maximum protection and comfort. A unique, extra wide sealing surface offers unparalleled comfort and fit. Protects against organic vapours and gases with boiling point 65°C and above, inorganic vapours and gases (excluding carbon dioxide/monoxide).

Ok, You've got one of these now, but how is it any better from any others?

The thing with this type of mask is that it seals your entire nasal and mouth area and you can test it to see if you have fitted it correctly.

How do you test it?

By placing both hands over the filters and breath in.. if you have completely covered the filter then the mask will get tighter on your face as you breathe in.. if you do not feel the mask being sucked onto your face, then you have a leak somewhere. Ensure your hands completely cover the filters and/or adjust the position of the mask on your face. You will feel the air being sucked into mask on your skin if it is not seated correctly.
Please watch this video for an exmple.. yes this guy uses a full gas mask, but the seal test is the same. Watch as the mask shrinks onto his face as he seals up the filter with his hand.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by Extralien]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
As I recall from the olden days of 29 CFR 1910.120........ (I can't believe that bit of fluff is still STUCK in my head) one should also cover the exhallation port and pressurize the inside of the mask with a breath and hold it. Sometimes it is easier to hear and detect escaping air. For myself, a North silicon respirator fits the best, followed by a SurviveAir. Of course, it has been 15 years since I regularly wore a half-face.

We have a couple of NBCs tucked away in ziplock bags justincase. I think that most of the masks I've seen people wearing on the news are basically dust masks. The N95 is supposed to be the standard for mold cleanup and the like, but I think it's still just a dust mask. They certainly can't be fit tested.

cheers

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Heh...I remember those morning drills at boot camp....laying in the bunk deep in sleep and having the RDC come in yelling GAS GAS GAS! ....good memories =] ...stupid gas masks.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
OK so how easy is it to buy one of these masks?

I am living in Phuket Thailand??????

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
do anyone know where i can buy online a good mask in europe?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
www.nextag.com...

found this

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by muddyhoop

Muddyhoop, try looking in any shop that sells building materials or tools and equipment.. or any shop that supplies equipment to anyone who spray paints cars..

These types of companies usually have the better 'face hugging' masks or 'half masks' as some know them.

Failing that, try to get on online but there might be a delay in you receiving it due to postage times.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
just a thought, the flu is a virus, a really, really small virus.

i did a quick search online and came up with this, it's not conclusive by any means but it gives you some idea.

Unit of measure, abbreviated nm. One billionth of a meter. The average diameter of a human hair is about 80,000 nm. The influenza A virus, in its spherical form, is about 120 nm, intermediate in size for a virus. Thus its size is between that of a 20 nm rhinovirus (a cold virus) and a 200 nm Ebola virus, as seen here. Note that this is more than 100 times smaller than a human red blood cell or ragweed pollen.
source

my fear is that the type of mask being discussed probably isn't going to stop the virus itself, and okay, a mask like that will mean your less likely to directly inhale other peoples bodily fluids but if they hit the filter the virus might be inhaled anyways.

in that regard, disposables would probably be a better bet, don't you think?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I had the understanding the flu spreads mostly by touch alone. People asked me about getting a mask and from day one I told them its not going to save you. Most masks are better at keeping contamination in then out as far as surgical masks go anyhow. You exhale quite a bit of vapor. So remember that rule of thumb and that youre going to get it by touch, keep a 8 ft distance from people and you wont need a mask anyhow.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

If these filters are not as good as the usual N99's or FFP3's then maybe just stick a couple of these over the fliters of the face hugging masks too.

I would rather wear something that prevents as much access to my mouth and nose as possible than something which has been moulded out of fibres to a predifined shape and only offers (REALLY ROUGH estimate) 65% protection from all the air you breathe in.

These N99's and FFP3's are dust masks mostly.. they are not designed to prevent gasses.. whereas the MAXIMASK 2000 can have filters that stop very fine dust, particles, aqueous mists, fibres, organic and inorganic vapours and gasses...

my MAXIMASK is fitted with the AB1 filters..which stops organic and inorganic gasses and vapours.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

i see where you're coming from, it was just something that occoured to me while reading your post. you can't be over protected i guess.

i have to say, i would go more with memysabu's reasoning on the flu, wash your hands a lot, stay away from others where possible and wear a mask if you start to feel symptomatic.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I spent some time in Hong Kong a few years ago.. you see people walking around wearing masks if there is a scare, flu, cold, slight breeze or not..

Everyone is so used to seeing it over there that it is quite normal now..

I am yet to see one person in uk wearing one.

But the point of this thread is to show how to wear one of these MAXIMASK 2000 masks properly.. if anyone chooses to wear one, or similar type.

Prevention is sometimes the best.. Fore warned is fore armed.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

experts have warned that face masks could prove useless in combating the killer virus. Scientists have warned that masks would need to be changed at least twice a day to make them in any way effective - meaning tens of millions would be needed. And they could cause a public health hazard in themselves if they are not disposed of properly, by actually helping the flu spread. So, does wearing a face mask does really protect you and what would be the best mask to buy?
www.dailymail.co.uk...

There is a nice selection of people wearing different masks and a short explanation about all the types there.

But they do not mention anything like the type I have mentioned here in this thread.. interesting...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I think this is an important topic Extralien, and I wanted to reinforce the validity of your thread. Also, a note:

If you find yourself in the mode of wearing personal protective equipment, consider two things:

1. Don't forget to protect your eyes as well -- a possible route of infection. Not suggesting we all walk around with safety glasses, but perhaps standard eyewear....

2. Nitrile gloves also come in disposables and they are far more chemically-resistant that standard latex gloves. I think about the myriad of solutions we use to decontaminate. Besides, they're a cheery light blue color

Thanks again for the thread.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Thank you...trying to get an important message across is hard work sometimes

and yes, you are correct.. the eyes are a passage for a virul entry too.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Here are a couple of websites that sell NIOSH 95 & 100 level masks/filters and bio hazard suits etc.

Although I don't think it is necessary to run out and purchase a full "biohazard" suit, right now it never hurts to have access to info/equipment.

hope yall find this helpful

www.approvedgasmasks.com...

www.supplylinedirect.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Snisha

Thanks Snisha...

Shame about most of those gasmasks being obsolete though.. but it is helpful for anyone who is considering buying such an item..that link provides quite a bit of info in relation..

And the other link you gave lead me to a rather nice list of full and half piece respirators..

Thanks for the good find...

www.supplylinedirect.com...
www.prosafetyequipment.com...

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Extralien]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I've been doing a bit of research, for my own interest and also to post up here too. I am experienced enough to trust the type of mask and filter that I bought, but just thought I'd best check to make sure..

A chemical threat needs a different approach, because chemicals come as mists or vapors that are largely immune to particulate filtration. The most common approach with any organic chemical (whether it be paint fumes or a nerve toxin like Sarin) is activated charcoal.

Charcoal is carbon. (See this Question of the Day for details on how charcoal is made.) Activated charcoal is charcoal that has been treated with oxygen to open up millions of tiny pores between the carbon atoms. According to Encyclopedia Britannica:

The use of special manufacturing techniques results in highly porous charcoals that have surface areas of 300-2,000 square metres per gram. These so-called active, or activated, charcoals are widely used to adsorb odorous or coloured substances from gases or liquids.

The word adsorb is important here. When a material adsorbs something, it attaches to it by chemical attraction. The huge surface area of activated charcoal gives it countless bonding sites. When certain chemicals pass next to the carbon surface, they attach to the surface and are trapped.

science.howstuffworks.com...

So, the filters I have for my MAXIMASK 2000 are EN14387:2004 which is an organic/inorganic gas/vapour filter.

this is the company that produces this mask www.jsp.co.uk...

join