It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAA Memo: Feds Knew Flyover Would Cause NYC Panic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic
reply to post by UmbraSumus

That's been running through my head too. Don't announce it, because that sets it as a target.

The vulnerability issue however, I can't see. AF1 has to be defensively tough no matter what the altitude, being that it has been flown in Iraq, and other hostile areas. So that part I'm not buying into.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by Mekanic]

Yeah, that excuse wouldnt work. The jet, as Airforce One, flies all the time. You can sit near Andrew's and watch it take off. So its not like it was at risk of being a big target. If that was the case, they would never announce where the president was flying.

[edit on 4/28/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
There's a lot of enjoyment to be gained from scaring New Yorkers, and why not, they scare me

Seriously, why the big deal over this, it was just some poor judgement that scared a few thousand idiots.

Slow news day perhaps.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I am SO glad you started this thread. I want to know more about this.

We know that the police chief knew but wasn't allowed to tell.
We know people were threatened with "sanctions" if they told. what are sanctions? in ludlum novels i think that means killed off but chances are that's not the official pc meaning.
We know all sorts of military must have known because no alarms were raised though chances are nothing unusual occurred until it started flying low over manhattan.

Can they have "classified" the description of the training exercise even though we all now know about it? Can we ask for the memo under FOI?

Remember the good old days, when we found it shocking that the president could fire the head of GM? Life was so uncomplicated then....

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I don't buy this crap for a minute. They say Photo op, I say BULL! If the plane stayed in NYC, then yeah maybe. Not right at all, but maybe. This thing was flying over Bayonne and Jersey City, NJ. What were they taking pictures of, oil tanks and garbage??
Whatever, I'm keeping my eyes wide open on this one..

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheKingsVillian

With all of the criticism of the aircraft images in the news videos of the 9-11 attacks, it is possible this would be terrific video to feed showing AF1 being chased and protected..........

BTW, "exercises" has long been the way to cover unusual mil activity....

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Here's some more about the photo op though not the underlying exercise.

An Air Force combat photographer took pictures from one of the fighter jets, administration officials said.

The photo op was combined with a training exercise to save money, according to another administration official who also spoke on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak publicly about the behind-the-scenes discussions about the flight.

The FAA notified the New York Police Department of the flyover, telling them photos of the Air Force One jet would be taken about 1,500 feet above the Statue of Liberty around 10 a.m. Monday. It had a classified footnote that said, "Information in this document shall not be released to the public or the media."

yahoo

The article also says that the person from Bloomberg's office who was told not to tell the mayor, and did not, has been reprimanded and a letter placed in his permanent file. and you say there is no accountability.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman
I'm curious as to where AF1/AF2 departed from for this "exercise." If it was a training mission then it seems that they were simulating a scenario in which the President is leaving from or flying through NYC...I think it would be interesting to know where it was coming from.

I believe an earlier report stated that it departed from and returned to Andrews, it's home base.

I know that any flight plan of AF1 is secure and non-published for security reasons, but as stated over and over this was not AF1 or AF2, it was either SAM28000 or SAM29000 (no POTUS on board).

Personally, I can't image that there wasn't someone of power on board for the joyride, hence the added security. All they had to do was make a statement that a "Military" aircraft was going to make a flyby of the Statue of Liberty on Monday morning, and there would have been limited or no panic from the masses. Another less stressful option would have been to make a NE to SW low pass take the shot and be gone before everyone started to freak out. From what I can see, the visibility wasn't that clear, and it couldn't have made for a very good shot anyway.

How about this theory...

BO: Arlen, you know we really need you on the team. Having you as a registered Dem would really help the cause...

AS: Mr President, I would love to help you out, but I will need a few things in return.

BO: What things?

AS: I need some additional money for some pet projects in my state.

BO: Done

AS: A high ranking position in the party come the next election..

AS: an iPhone loaded with Sinatra..

AS: ..and a flight around the Statue of Liberty in Air Force One so I can take a few pictures..

BO: Done, see ya Monday morning.

This stinks, and I'm sure in the coming days we'll find out more, that is if it isn't brushed under the carpet..

[edit on 28-4-2009 by stealthyone]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
So the most media savvy administration in history doesn't know how to photo-shop? And the Air Force can't use flight simulators for a training exercise?

In the words of Randy Marsh, "What? I thought this was America!?"

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthyone

Thanks for verifying one of my earlier posts.

'Air Force Two' is the ATC call sign for the VEEP....usually on a C-32 or C-40 (B757 and B737 equivalent).

There are various airplanes in the 'fleet', also used for certain dignitaries.

Oh, and stealthy...(warning, tongue firmly in cheek, here)...didn't you see the Daily Show with Jon Stewart? They had the exclusive photo (shopped) image of Biden in the left seat!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
There's a lot of enjoyment to be gained from scaring New Yorkers, and why not, they scare me

Seriously, why the big deal over this, it was just some poor judgement that scared a few thousand idiots.

Slow news day perhaps.

Meh.. even I would like to know why they would keep a "photo op" secret. As if they really needed to fly the plane that low, I am sure the Government has enough money to have a photo edited to place the damn plane whereever they damn well choose.

No.

Something more then government stupidity was/is at work here. Granted, whatever the plan is, it is still likely inundated with government stupidity, but the objectives are probably less benevolent.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I would think that if you announce something like that to the general public, there is a possibility you will have 30-40 unstable people with a grudge against the government aiming laser pointers at the pilots' eyes. Or worse.

Originally posted by weedwhacker
...didn't you see the Daily Show with Jon Stewart? They had the exclusive photo (shopped) image of Biden in the left seat!

LOL I saw that. Conclusive evidence it was him! Haha

[edit on 28-4-2009 by TheComte]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
If one was to test the detection system of a newly installed missile defense shield located in lower NYC or NJ, making a public announcement & using a military jet would jeopardize the secrecy of such a system. Use the president's plane, have a cover story, yes a few days of backlash, but then all goes back to normal and the real mission remains unknown. Also, where are the photos which were taken from the fighter jet?

[edit on 4/28/2009 by thomasblackraven]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Well, maybe instead of Lincoln bedroom sleepovers, this adminstration is doing "tours in the skies" for their friends. Id accept that excuse over the ones being given now!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thomasblackraven
If one was to test the detection system of a newly installed missile defense shield located in lower NYC or NJ, making a public announcement & using a military jet would jeopardize the secrecy of such a system. Use AF1, have a cover story, yes a few days of backlash, but then all goes back to normal and the real mission remains unknown.

Except now, it caused so much contraversy that people are going to go LOOKING for something where, if they RELEASED the info ahead of time as a photo shoot without getting the paranoids all up in arms, no one would necessarily go looking for an ulterior motive.

AB1

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Photo op? More like psyop!

Saw this one on the news here last night, what an absolutely stupefyingly dumb thing to do!

What were the pilots thinking at the time I wonder? "Let's fly low over NYC, with a fighter plane following us and see what happens!"

Actually, it reminds me, a similar thing happened last year over Sydney! Big army aircraft flying low over the city for one of these supposed "photo ops".

Really, give me a break.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
That's really flippin weird! I was going to post this too. I'm really at a loss for words as to why they would need to keep it quiet. It was one thing when we thought they were just being insensitive and not thinking it through enough.

Now it's completely another when they not only knew it would freak people out but ORDERED people to keep quiet with threat of sanctions against the city.

We gotta get to the bottom of this...

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The funny thing is, in typical American fashion, the White House can offer a lame, hole-filled explanation and the public will eat it up.

Then when any protests are made by those who think action needs to be taken, they are the nuts for going against the official story.

Firstly, the White House apology lied about notifying the Mayors office. They also stated it was Air Force One, which it is not to be called unless the POTUS is on board.

Also, really think for a second. What reason... what POSSIBLE REASON could they have for keeping this flight secret? There is none! Everything could have been avoided, the public panic, the media frenzy, just by notifying the Mayors office and local media.

Now we have to go back to the one constant. Who benefits and how?

The puppeteers benefit. They get a fresh gauge on how terrified they have the sheeple. How much of the leash have they shook off? Obviously not much if all it takes is a plane flying overhead to cause building evacuations.

They have the public exactly where they want them, and after yesterday, they have their proof that things are still as in control as September 12, 2001.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
almost 8 years later and they still have everyone by the balls. To me it was to test peoples fear.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The Boeing 747-based "Air Force 1's" appear to have been in service since 1990.

That's almost twenty years, and not once in all that time can I recall one of these planes being flown over a city for a photo/op training mission.

Not once.

Not to mention to have flown one at such low altitude over a densely populated city.

I'll have to conceed to our resident aircraft experts here with the following question:

Why would a pilot of a large, presumably "military" aircraft need to practice flight operations at low altitude over a city? Something to do with evasive maneuvers perhaps? Concerns over skyscraper-generated winds?

Maybe it's easier to hide from a space-based laser weapon if you "Duck-and-Cover" in amoung the tall, shiny buildings?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

This is a followup to my thread started yesterday about the AF1 flyover of NYC.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
According to Channel 2 news NY they have obtained an FAA memo stating that they knew this would cause panic and threatened to some kind of "federal sanctions" against the city if word of the flyover got out before hand.

This whole thing just gets stranger by the minute. I don't understand why a photo op would need to be kept secret. I really don't buy the offical story that this was just a photo op setup by the Office of Military Affairs just to have souvenir photos of Air Force One with the Statue of Liberty in the backround. Any idiot would know that this could easily be done with Photoshop.

I am trying to contact someone from CBS news NY to see if they can release the memo to the public. I think this was some kind of test to see what the public reaction would be. I really don't think this was an accident. Things like this are done for a reason. I will post updates if I hear back from CBS news regarding the memo.

wcbstv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

The reason they kept it secret was they fear an act of terrorism...say a shoulder-fired missile or three.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join