It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legend of The Cursed Pillar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Legend has it that a traveling Voodoo Priest came to the city of Augusta,GA to preach at the corner of 5th and broad in the late 1800s. On a regular stop
through the city he was confronted by some hostile locals that refused to hear his good word. They chained the Priest to the pillar and began to whip him.

The beating was so severe it left the Preist immobile. During his final hours he cast a spell on the Pillar and anyone who dared to destroy it was instantly killed. The market where the beating took place was leveled later on by a tornado in 1878.

Ever since the curse came in to being the locals have reported men dying from lightning strikes, car crashes, and construction fatalities all while trying to move or destroy the Cursed Pillar. Some report standing near the Pillar and hearing the faint whispers of the departed...

www.weirdgeorgia.com...

To this day many locals refuse to go near this Pillar, they leave that up to the Tourists.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
That's a strange variant of the story I've heard.

In May 1878 after a thunder storm hit Lexington, Tennessee a man by the name of Robert Edge appeared and gave an Apocalyptic and Anti-Masonic Sermon, after which he gained a large following with his Christian Prophecies that were said to come true. One day he vanished from Lexington, but stories of Robert Edge later surfaced in Atlanta.

In Atlanta he continued his Apocalyptic Sermons as he also spoke of coming dangers and great threats to humanity. He did his preaching in the Market Place, which consisted of two large connecting sheds known as the Upper and Lower Markets. Here, farmers brought goods from their fields and towns people purchased their groceries.

One day, Robert Edge predicted that a storm would destroy the Lower Market and leave only the southwest pillar of the shed standing to prove that he was a prophet of God. Not long after, an electrical storm caused lightning to strike the Market Place and the Lower Market burned to the ground. Only the southwest pillar remained and the "Pillar of Prophecy", as it was called, survived another fire in 1916 and stood until 1920.

Robert Edge left Atlanta as mysteriously and quietly as he left Lexington and the "Pillar of Prophecy" seemed to take on a legend of it's own.

Still, a good find!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Oh that is AWESOME!!! I've heard about this guy for years. but his name was always a mystery and where he came from.

Almost everyone in this town is afraid to get near this thing, Thanks to You I can put another piece of the story together.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I'd expect these stories to be more or less "Postdictions".

I really want to go buy a sledge hammer, and take it down now, the strange urges we have, just because I don't think anyone else would, so why not me.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Whoa, hold on just a minute there Republican08..

You would most likely be ran out of town by the staff members of the Augusta Chronicle (local newspaper). This Pillar brings the city some cold cash because of its history and I know they wouldn't like their legend being trampled on.

I wouldn't mind seeing your bravery though it's been years since the Cursed Pillar was given a news article.

Just let me know before you decide to show your machoism I'll bring the old camera down in case sparks fly

top topics

join