It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Studies within Reach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'm trying to get a "feel" for those who respond on this board.
As far as 'gut feeling', 'premonition', 'intuition', 'ESP' in general, 'fortune telling', 'prediction', 'astral projection', and many, many others.
Where do you stand.

I here so many in the news disclaim. But, bet money they've got a rabbit's foot, four leaf clover, Holy Cross, or some other symbol of fate intervention.

Question: Have you ever had anything like Deja Vu or other significant occurrence that you can't explain?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by eyecatching

I've certainly had deja vu before, but as there is now valid physiological reasons for this (don't want to go into the science, look it up!), I don't bracket it with the same things you do.

I have been fascinated by all these subjects since I was a young man, and have done many hours of research, my conclusion? All a load of woo woo. No one has proved any form of ESP, mediumship of future predicting ability.

In my opinion, all done by charlatans who like to be important in the eyes of the gullible. Please feel free to disagree, but this is my view.

EDIT- Just to add, no four leaf clover or rabbit's foot here, not even lucky pulling pants!

[edit on 28-4-2009 by Molech]

[edit on 28-4-2009 by Molech]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
There's certainly enough fakers. But, there's also some scientific evidence that refutes the lack of, that is scientific proof.

Certain experiments among a gifted crowd can show uncanny results.

As far as Prophecy, well who would want to believe that. Biblical accepted, most would scoff at someone whom had foreknowledge of events. But, there are those who glean information from them that can prove useful.

Psychics and fortunetellers seem to be the most prevalent in American culture, with Shamanic and Witches coming in second.

Other cultures differ from the United States on this, and it seems there's a great deal of precipitant goings on.

The Deja Vu and seeing into the future, I've been adrift in that since early memories stretch.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I would ask you to question the validity of this scientific research again. There have been many cases of mentalists and magicians fooling reputable authorities, search for Project Alpha on youtube. I also have in my possession a paper written by a highly regarded researcher regarding Steve R. Shaw. This man was lauded as an incredible psychic in this paper, Steve R. Shaw is now much better known as Banachek, magician and mentalist.

Group studies can be misleading, ideometric effects can cause amazing occurrences, and is amplified in these situations.

I started off as a believer like yourself, however, if your research is as obsessive as mine, I'm sure you'll find yourself in a similiar mindset to me.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Molech
I would ask you to question the validity of this scientific research again. There have been many cases of mentalists and magicians fooling reputable authorities, search for Project Alpha on youtube. I also have in my possession a paper written by a highly regarded researcher regarding Steve R. Shaw. This man was lauded as an incredible psychic in this paper, Steve R. Shaw is now much better known as Banachek, magician and mentalist.

Group studies can be misleading, ideometric effects can cause amazing occurrences, and is amplified in these situations.

I started off as a believer like yourself, however, if your research is as obsessive as mine, I'm sure you'll find yourself in a similiar mindset to me.

I'm biased, also. I've had premonitions since early childhood.
Major events are almost always, around 90%, "sensed".

This is known.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Molech

when you have only some insight into the workings of science, then you should know, that proceedings are horrible slow and painstaking and that there are no major breakthroughs before at least a considerable amount of the established professors agree about a specific topic. Unfortunately most professors are so damn stubborn, that they defend their opinion even in front of clear facts. Think of Galileo, of Tesla, Freud, Kant etc etc. New data will naturally need to present itself for some decades, before it will be excepted by the "scientific community"

edit: on the other hand, yes, science makes mistakes. But that's somehow insignificant, because the vast majority of paranormal studies are not even honestly evaluated by the scientists

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Wachstum]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
With all the problems we are having now, do you not think that the scientific community would not be entranced by forms of energy produced by the human mind. We can see to nearly the beginning of the universe, understand the workings of the smallest particles and manipulate matter to an extraordinary degree; yet not one person has been able to prove such abilities?

If such an ability was performed in a double blind test, then I wou believe. Why are all these people so honest and good they do not profit from their powers? This isn't the human nature I know. Where are the lotto winners who use premonition? Every popular predictor has used vague interpretable language. These are linguistic tricks.

How is it that every so called psychic, ESP practitioner etc. can be replicated by stage magicians? I am an intuitive person, I can get a feeling of what type of character a person is within a few seconds of meeting them. This is a human survival skill, not proof of the power of the mind.

If your premonition is 90% correct, feel free to tell us of a future event, I'll predict it will be one of the 10% you get wrong!

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Molech
With all the problems we are having now, do you not think that the scientific community would not be entranced by forms of energy produced by the human mind. We can see to nearly the beginning of the universe, understand the workings of the smallest particles and manipulate matter to an extraordinary degree; yet not one person has been able to prove such abilities?

If such an ability was performed in a double blind test, then I wou believe. Why are all these people so honest and good they do not profit from their powers? This isn't the human nature I know. Where are the lotto winners who use premonition? Every popular predictor has used vague interpretable language. These are linguistic tricks.

How is it that every so called psychic, ESP practitioner etc. can be replicated by stage magicians? I am an intuitive person, I can get a feeling of what type of character a person is within a few seconds of meeting them. This is a human survival skill, not proof of the power of the mind.

If your premonition is 90% correct, feel free to tell us of a future event, I'll predict it will be one of the 10% you get wrong!

The lottery paradox. Would you inform the lottery corporation you CHEATED. No.
If you could predict the future in such a way, and desired this money, I don't think you would want to prove this ability.

Psychic Detectives, the accurate ones, verified by court implications to be within 85% of factual data.

Tomorrow, may not make the mainstream news, a plane will wreck in Mexico City. Due to the landing area being disrupted by the earth quake. Common sense, but defiant ones want to gawk at the destruction...around 9am local.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Plenty of scientific proof. But as i said: No one cares to listen

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Molech:
Evidence is plentiful, if you look for it. I can't believe that you have done much research if you really think that no significant evidence has been presented.

A few things to read:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.paranormalia.com...

Parapsychology and the Skeptics by Chris Carter
The Conscious Universe by Dean Radin

Also, make sure you look at pseudoskeptics' arguments as well as those of actual, unbiased skeptics. It's nice to have a balanced view.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I have a good friend from a company from Flight Data Services Ltd., they are involved in international flight safety, I will ask him to confirm if this event happens, and if it does I will doff my cap to you.

I have read through the other links provided. The Daily Mail is not a reputable source, as unbelievable as this seems, another friend of mine is on the board of Associated Newspapers, who own The Mail. He is quite open as to the fact that it is aimed at forty plus women. If you wish to see their grasp of science, check out their reporting of the Large Hadron Collider, not even understanding basic schoolboy physics!

Youtube videos are ten a penny..................the same as quoting wikipedia as proof.

I do not wish to annoy anyone here, though it seems a bit late for that. I have my viewpoint, you have yours.

As for Psychic Detectives being 85% accurate in court. I know of no case where psychic evidence has been used, unless it is the psychic claiming it has been of course!

I could name hundreds of phony psychics, healers etc., however, I'm sure I would be informed that these are the bad ones, but there are plenty of good ones out there, ah the old psychic paradox!

I will be back in amazement when this plane crashes tomorrow, poor old Mexico, they're not having the best of times are they?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
PS, Parapsychology is not a recognised science, whatever you may say to me!

new topics

top topics

join