It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you staying on board with Windows XP for awhile?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
There is an interesting story posted today on CNET news for those, like me, who would prefer to continue using Windows XP operating sysem for at least the rest of this year:

news.cnet.com...

That online article contains quite a few links to useful sites for XP fixes and suggestions.

One of my family members is a beta-tester for, among other things, Microsoft products, and he claims that so far, the beta version of the post-Vista operating system is looking exceptionally good. If that turns out to be true, I may hold out for upgrading to that down the road, and avoid Vista altogether!

Are you currently an XP user? What's your survival strategy going to be, now that Microsoft no longer supports XP? I'd appreciate any tips you can share.

[edit on 4/28/2009 by Uphill]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I recently switched from XP Pro to Vista Business(32 bit) when I built my new PC and I have to say that I really like it.

I will more than likely move to Windows 7 when it's released but Vista with SP1 really doesn't seem bad to me at all.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I moved to Vista two years ago, but on the company where I work most computers have Windows XP.

As these have not access to the Internet they are less subjected to problems and need less updates, so I think they will be used for some more years (we still have one computer running Windows 2000).

My sisters also have Windows XP on their computers (and Vista on a new laptop), and I (the responsible for their computer's maintenance) see no reason for change.

Windows 7 looks promising, but I haven't had the time to play with it.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I haven't really gotten to Vista yet. But I did check it out and fiddle around with it a bit using my friend's laptop.

Just didn't like it frankly, XP is still the best for now... like you I will be waiting for you Windows 7.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
XP generally seems to run quicker than Vista. Vista seems to hog resources. It takes a more stout machine to run Vista quickly.

I've not changed to Vista. It seems to be an unnecessary expense right now. Maybe some time when Windows 7 rolls out I might give it a try.

I'm running Fedora 10 right now along with XP, dual boot.

I'm hoping something good comes out of ReactOS. It's a free OS that uses Windows drivers, but isn't Windows, and isn't Linux.

I say, if you are going to charge for an OS, have an option to charge the customer a yearly, reasonable fee to use it. Done. You can bring the software into your home for a small price upfront, and as long as you keep paying toward support of the software, you get all the updates, support, and everything. And this way, you aren't shelling out a chunk of money for a buggy system. Heck, we'll stop paying for it if we don't like what we see. It keeps Microsoft "honest."

Troy

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I'm still using my five year old HP computer loaded with XP Home. We all know the idiosyncrasies of MS products, but all in all XP is a mature OS and furthermore I know how it works, it works with all my peripherals, and, of course, it works well with my computers resources.

I just bought an Acer Aspire One netbook that has 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, an Atom 1.6Gh processor and loaded with XP Home. It's a great little computer, whose shortcomings are minimal considering the niche the netbook is intended to fill.

I have resisted Vista because it is a resource hog and I just don't see why I have to upgrade to an outrageously powerful computer that will run slower than a lesser computer running XP.

I hear that Windows 7 will be leaner and by the time it comes out, it will be time for me to buy a new computer. Maybe, I'll be lucky and I'll be able to upgrade my computer specs and actually realize better performance by doing so.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Our family member who does some Windows beta testing told me today that it looks like Windows 7 will go live in the summer of 2010. No guesses yet on what the price will be.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

Considering that the Release Candidate expires on March 2010, I think it may be earlier than that, but we will see.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
now vista is stable and nice,afcourse u need to tweak and hack it a little,so it runs a little faster,it still is a little slower then xp but still more stable and secure for me.
still windows 7 will be great we need to get that
its going to be nicer and faster then both from what ive heard

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Are you currently an XP user? What's your survival strategy going to be, now that Microsoft no longer supports XP? I'd appreciate any tips you can share.

I just received two security updates from MS. The XP OS is very popular and so here is a word from MS.

We know you love Windows XP and you’re in good company. Hundreds of millions of Windows XP users are fans of the operating system, and many depend on Windows XP to run legacy applications and hardware not yet compatible with Windows Vista. Even though we’re retiring Windows XP, we won’t leave you hanging. Our Microsoft Support Lifecycle explains it all.

You can still buy new PCs and use Windows XP. Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate have downgrade rights that let you return your operating system to Windows XP. We plan to provide support for Windows XP until 2014.

www.microsoft.com...

The consumers are not those who call for new operating systems to be introduced every two years or so; it's Bill Gates legacy that does. These cosmetic changes requiring still more RAM makes older computers obsolete, so downloading and running Window 7 may not be a smooth process with older computers.
Solution?
Just buy a new computer preloaded with Windows 7 and contribute to the MS money-making venture. MS = More $.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

I hear you on a very deep level. If it wasn't for security issues, and my need to run updated word processing and other updated software, I would never bother with their O/S upgrades. The deficiencies of Microsoft are many and growing.

In three years or so I will get a new desktop computer. Hopefully that computer will either be an Apple or something that runs Linux. Time will tell.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander
The consumers are not those who call for new operating systems to be introduced every two years or so; it's Bill Gates legacy that does.

The only times I thought I should upgrade my operating system was at the times when they changed the whole OS, from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, from 95 to 2000, from 2000 to Vista, so I think I will not change to Windows 7 unless I see something that I like (I only changed from 2000 (server, much better than professional) because of some things XP had to follow the hardware evolution and 2000 lacked).

[edit on 14/5/2009 by ArMaP]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

The early OS changes were cool; they introduced innovative ideas and really forwarded the Windows operating systems. But now the frequency of the changes are hard to account for except that there are business-oriented. How many people realized when comparing Vista and XP that the latter OS was really inferior to Vista? The fact that MS decided to extend its support to XP till 2014 tells you that there were only a few.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

I never really liked XP, that is why I kept 2000 server as long as I could and that is why I installed Vista as soon as I got my hands in the beta version.

The changes from XP to Vista are bigger than the changes from 2000 to XP, but although most people did not liked them, I did, I think Vista is a much better OS than XP, specially in security and memory management.

Popularity is a strange thing, we can never know what people will like.

new topics

top topics

join