It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter will switch from the Republican to the Democratic Party

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by madhatr137

Your post truly was well worded, and made your point in a very concise manner. To be frank, I don't really mind your view.

I'm not on this thread to argue about which party is better, I think they are both equally trash.

The points that I had quoted disturbed me, most specifically your willingness to accept mandatory service.

The only way people fix problems is if they do it of their own volition. I liken it to alcoholism if you will... You can't force an alcoholic to quit drinking, they have to want to, and even then don't always do it.

Thats the beauty of our REPUBLIC.

Specter is swine.

cbianchi513... committed to staying on topic

[edit on 29/4/09 by cbianchi513]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden

Originally posted by cbianchi513
Sure... In the last election, McCain... simply because I considered him the lesser of the two evils, and I identify with his veteran's status. I couldn't just "throw away" my vote by voting for Paul, although he was clearly the more appropriate choice in my case.

The GOP needs to start listening more to Ron Paul.
It was absolutely disgusting the way the mainstream conservative media treated him in the run up to the primaries. All because he didn't support the disasterous Iraq War.

Drop the hard right social policies, go more libertarian, while getting SERIOUS about fiscal conservatism.

Otherwise, the GOP is going the way of the whigs.

Honestly I don't have much hope. The GOP has jumped the shark.

But weren't people predicting the doom of the democrat party not so long ago? Everything runs in cycles. The democrats are already over playing their hand. There will be a voter backlash. Round and round we go ...

[edit on 4/29/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

That's exactly the point. I have two predictions:

1 - prediction based on Clintonian-Bush-era is that the Republicans gain control of Congress again in 2010 and Obama wins re-election in 2012 due to a lack of quality Republican contenders. Republican-led congress tries to undo the damage over the next 7 years that the no-holds barred Democrat congress does this year and next year resulting in a Republican candidate of some substance and a Democratic candidate that isn't nearly as well spoken as Obama, which means a fair race when you factor in the liberal MSM.

2. The Democrats headed by Obama will screw up on a massive scale to the point where 2010 will be a huge shift in power to the right and Obama will lose the election in 2012. Given the recent happenings, the chances of something like this happening aren't nearly as remote as I thought they would be.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
There are clowns on both sides of the aisle, but Arlen Specter is not one of them. He was being bullied and threatened to go lockstep with the Republicans. He won't be going lockstep with the Democrats either.

We NEED a two party system and as I have written before, though I am an avowed Democrat I am eager to see the GOP get its act together, but alas they are lost strategically.

The GOP strategy seems to be attack at every petty opportunity..which just makes them seem petty and to oppose all Democratic initiatives and hope they fail so they can regain power in future elections....which is also petty and frankly speaks to them seeking power over the good of the American public.

Alas...what has become of the house Abe Lincoln built?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by cbianchi513
reply to post by grover

Just because I am the only one (so far) on this thread that thinks the ultimate motive for this move may be a SC nomination doesn't mean I'm wrong. Heck, I didn't even come up with the idea, I read the article I linked in a previous post!

Yes, the implications are far fetched it seems, and quite unnerving... I just don't understand why you accuse me specifically of making incredible statements with this. I feel it's a legitimate angle, and when I'm right, I'll be expecting you to eat crow.

Justice Souter to retire in June... Vacancy in the SC, Specter jumps parties just in time.

Maybe not such a far fetched idea after all.

Who's laughing now? Nobody.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join