It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter will switch from the Republican to the Democratic Party

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Soldier

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by Dark Soldier

We are doing quite fine thank you very much.

I just wonder who I send the sympathy card and flowers to for the GOP?

send them to new york, since the empty suit scared half of them yesterday with his 200k dollar fly over.

Mod edit -
Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

... given what a mess the GOP has become I suspect that they will cater to the base and lose the moderates... after all if the past few months are any indication the GOP is hell bent on irrelevance.

given what a mess the liberals have become, i suspect that they will cater to their base and lose the moderates, after all, if the past few months are any indictation, the liberals are hell bent on destroying our country

fixed it for you

nothing is more funny then conversations between republicans and democrats.

why do any of us follow these guys down the paths they have taken us?

divided we fall

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

Originally posted by cbianchi513

send them to new york, since the empty suit scared half of them yesterday with his 200k dollar fly over.

200k ? could that be the price of each innocent civilian killed in iraq by the gop , bush, and cheney?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

This is, IMO, not just a bid for reelection... It's the first move in a bid for Supreme Court nomination (If there is a vacancy, which is a distinct possibility).

He's way too old to get nominated to the SC.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Good riddance. Specter has been a pariah in the party for some time now. He fits in better with the Democrats and the Republicans don't want him, so where's the problem?

The man is, and has always been, a political opportunist, like Sen. McCain. Hopefully this is the beginning of a cleaning house in the Republican Party.

However, the fact that the Democrats have single-party control of government makes one very wary of the future. Even if it were full of Conservative Republicans, I would still be scared. History shows us that single-party government leads to abuse, even with the best of intentions.

Hold on to your seats, kids... it's going to get bumpy.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

We'll see who is laughing after the next election cycles. Karma can be a real bitch. Imagine the chagrin of Specter when he ends up getting thrown out of Congress with a lot of other very unpopular dems.

And who's to say a right-wing dem won't also switch to bring the numbers back into line?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I wonder what he was promised in return.

I guess now the Dems have no one to blame but themselves for not getting things done. The bad thing is that they can pass any agenda they so desire.

Hmmmm. Is he resigning to give the Democratic Party a monopoly?

The idea of a unipartisan America scares the crap out of me.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Schaden

keep telling yourself that, if it helps you sleep at night...

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iago18
However, the fact that the Democrats have single-party control of government makes one very wary of the future. Even if it were full of Conservative Republicans, I would still be scared. History shows us that single-party government leads to abuse, even with the best of intentions.

But did you think that when the Republicans had a stranglehold on power and people like Rove and mush loosebowels were openly gloating over the possiblity of a one party state?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

The idea of a unipartisan America scares the crap out of me.

I couldn't agree more.

Sum of all fears?

That kind of power can remove "the people" from the equation.

They can literally do anything they want.

Regardless of your personal ideology or party affiliation republican or democrat etc. you should realize that no single party should have supreme unstoppable power.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Though I understand your frustration with the previous administration, they never had full control over the reins of power with the ability to steamroll political opponents. In order to get their more radical measures passed, they had to have at least a few democrats on board.

Now, there is no real dissent possible.

Edit: Likewise, I would say something very similar if this were republicans and not the democrats. Abuse can come in a lot of shapes and sizes

[edit on 28-4-2009 by Iago18]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I don't want a one party system either regardless of the party.

As for the Republican congress under bush minor... they did if you will recall lock literally the Democrats out of committee meetings and the like.

That is a lot of power.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

keep telling yourself that, if it helps you sleep at night...

Specter is 79 years old. The oldest person ever nominated to the SC was 65. From an actuarial point of view, he could die at any minute.

The chance of Specter getting nominated to the SC is .000000001%

But don't let common sense + logic + history get in the way of your pet theory.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Schaden

Ok, I'll expound on "my" theory:

www.post-gazette.com...

From the above link:

There will be those who will say sotto voce that Mr. Specter is too old at 79 to be named as a justice. I would disagree. I just watched him last week face more than an hour of vigorous questioning from the Post-Gazette editorial board. He is sharp as a tack, speaking fluently of Washington and local political affairs while drawing judiciously and with humor from U.S. historical experience and precedents.

Not saying it's gospel, but we've all seen stranger things.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Schaden

Originally posted by Schaden

but he is a republican so those silly things dont matter.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by elitegamer23]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
this broke because of the freaking stupid fly over in ny .

as for spector i have no respect for any politcian

i especially have no repsect for any politican to jump ship .

if you aligned with a party your there because you beleive in the core of the party while you might not agree with everything the party does-you shouldnt in fact. you should work within to keep them on the path they should be.

heres spector trying to keep his job his own power and i hope his constituents see what type of person he is and vote him out.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
reply to post by Schaden

Originally posted by Schaden

but he is a republican so those silly things dont matter.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by elitegamer23]

I'm a republican, or Specter is?

Wrong on both counts toots.

"When we assume things, we make an ass of u and me".

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This is important breaking news and I see hardly any serious discussion of the implications of it... just a bunch of trite back and forth.

Disgusting.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Seriously? You don't see the importance of the possibility of Specter being nominated to the highest court in the land?

Oh yeah, you're right. I guess you should go back to bashing the previous administration. That was relevant to the topic also.

By the way, did anybody care to mention that this would potentially be the "Filibuster buster" vote?

Specter is such a tool. He makes me sick.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

reply to post by grover

Seriously? You don't see the importance of the possibility of Specter being nominated to the highest court in the land?

Oh yeah, you're right. I guess you should go back to bashing the previous administration. That was relevant to the topic also.

By the way, did anybody care to mention that this would potentially be the "Filibuster buster" vote?

You are the only one I have ever heard suggest him for the court so I seriously suspect that is your own opinion and no one else.

I was not bashing the previous administration I was pointing out a fact whether you like it or not.

And yes the filibuster buster vote is important so why aren't you talking about in instead of just rattling your trap?

My first post on this thread was a serious attempt at discussing it and all I got back was childish bullhooey.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join