It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basic Needs and Preparations to combat the Swine/Genetically Made Flu Everyone Should Have

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
We have many information threads about the Swine (in reality Genetically Made) Flu, but what we don't have, is ways to combat and prepare for it thread, until now.
This thread is strictly about preparations everyone should do, it is not for discussing it - there are many other threads for that.

EDIT - I posted this below - but it needs to be here! This is your ONE STOP SHOP of information and preparation - not a sales site either. EVERYTHING you should do: getpandemicready.org...
Awesome information - Best Site I have found. In PDF files for each area of prepping - so you can save them on your computer!

The first on the list in regards to information on it and ways of prevention is here:
www.pandemicflu.gov...
Of course they have - taking a vaccine (which I won't personally touch with a 10 foot pole - no matter how "mandatory" it may become)

Another good site is the Red Cross site: sanjuan.redcross.org...

Please see the Survival thread of links - for information regarding needs for any survival situation or event which could happen here.

I will not be going over the links in that thread here, but please look at it, for information on FEMA's site - and regarding various needs that should be on hand and stocked up on, at all times.

It seems this GM flu - is running rampant (2 cases a few miles from me today - Tennessee and 2 cases next door in North Carolina - on the local news this morning)

Basic needs specifically for a pandemic situation that everyone should get and have on hand are the following:

Face Mask a good supply of them - should be stocked up on - I had purchased ones a few months back, but I have now found they are not ones that are good for this situation. I saw a site link on ATS to a face mask company - I will be visiting that one later.

latex gloves - a good supply of those (few months) should be on hand - in case it gets really bad, you don't want to touch surfaces etc. I have purchased these before at drug stores and home improvement stores. There are also non-latex gloves for those who are sensitive and allergic to latex.

FOOD Please - Please get a few months supply of food on hand - this is mentioned on FEMA's website for any situation, anyway. I hope many here have started gardens this year too.

Water - you should have a few days supply of water, again this is mentioned on FEMA's website as a should be stocked up item on any event or situation.

bleach everyone should have a few gallons of it on hand - to clean and kill germs off surfaces. I also have the bleach wipes for door handles, knobs etc, to wipe off easily.

hand sanitizer - I have a huge bottle in my car, but I also carry a small bottle with me when I am out and about and can not wash my hands after touching things.

vitamins C and D and echinacea - immunity boosting vitamins - I have found the best and least expensive ways to buy my vitamins is through Puritan Pride at: www.puritan.com... - they have a sale going on right now too.

I want to also say with the above - as a Red Cross volunteer I go to schools to teach kids prevention of getting sick and keeping clean. A misconception is the fact, people think the most common way of them getting sick is getting germs through their mouth. The real fact is, our eyes are the ways we most often get the germs in our body. Think about it - how often do you put your fingers in your mouth? - Not too often I bet. Now how often do you touch the corner of your eye with your fingers? Have to think about that one? Yep, all of us do it more often than we think, so, I teach the kids - if their hands are NOT clean and they feel the need to touch their eye - to use their knuckle. Yeah - go ahead and try it right now and please remember this. Your eye is the vehicle for germs entering your body more often than your mouth.

I had more to this thread, but my first attempt after finishing it all - went into cyber heaven and I have rewritten it. In saying that - I would like all members to add what you can to this thread for prevention and preparation of a pandemic.

I will add more, as I remember what I forgot this 2nd time around.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by questioningall]

[edit on 28-4-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Thanks so much for this solid info presented in a clear manner.

I think it'd be "good" to have all this on hand no matter what,we are living in perilous times.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
WOW - I just found a Great site!!

getpandemicready.org...

It has pdf guides, you can open those and save them to your computer!!

Please look at it, it covers everything about surviving it and it is NOT a site - trying to sell you something.

Best all around site I have found!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
According to the Mexican government, it's the healthy 20 and 30-year-olds who are dying from the disease, while the very old and very young recover. The experts surmise that it is the healthy immune systems of these individuals overreacting to the new type of virus that is causing them to become very sick.

So maybe we should all cut the vitamins, and reach for the Twinkies (not me though I'm Into Doritos)!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

thank you for the links/list ... another good thing would be peace of mind/calm, if it happens, it happens ... just a go with the flow attitude and not freak out because someone in the state next to them/or not even near them has it.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

I agree, the media is hyping the flu big time.

Just careful planning and prepardness in a calm manner will also provide peace of mind.

Lots of the info provided are already things, people should do and have in the first place.

One other thing, it is better to get items now and be prepared, than to wait too late and can't find what is needed.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

i agree people should have the things ahead of time ... just some people are pushing it to the extreme because of the media, like you said

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
vitamins C and D and echinacea - immunity boosting vitamins - I have found the best and least expensive ways to buy my vitamins is through Puritan Pride at: www.puritan.com... - they have a sale going on right now too.

About that echinacea...
It might not be the best thing for this flu.
This article deals with H5N1, so it may not be exactly the same for this variant.

www.the-health-gazette.com...

Echinacea - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. Although it is often used for normal flu, research shows that it may increase the chance of cytokine storms for H5N1. (Pubmed PMID 15556647, 9568541)

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread. Another good idea will be tissues, toilet paper, and paper towels. The tissues for obvious reasons, the extra toilet paper for the diarria that this flu is causing, and the paper towels to dry your hands after washing them, as the germs can remain in cleaned linens. The germs can also stay with plates, glasses, ans silverware, so some paper and plastic ones may not be a bad idea either. Above all else, we will not want to venture out for basic supplies if our areas become truely "hot". So anything that will save you a trip to the store will be good to stock......not that the stores would even be open in a "hot" zone. And like was mentioned above...water, water, water! Also something with lots of electrolites would help.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
something to have on hand are a few dollar store spray bottle to use with a mix of bleah and water for disinfection..

and think ahead of what you and your family may need if you infact cannot leave the house for a few days to a week or two..Best to stock up now just incase,and if this storm blows over you will use it anyways

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
An excerpt taken from the Wolfe Clinic site. Having trouble with linky. Will get it in a minute.

Super Strength Oil of Oregano is a highly concentrated oil of oregano. It is 300% more concentrated than the regular oil of oregano on the market.

Oil of oregano is a completely natural substance derived from wild oregano species.

Oil of oregano is a potent germ killer. Jean Valnet, in his book The "Practice of Aromatherapy", describes how oil of oregano superceded anti-inflammatory drugs in reversing pain and inflammation and is nearly as powerful as morphine as a painkiller. The oil also possesses significant antioxidant power. Furthermore, it stimulates the flow of bile, which greatly aids digestion.

Isomeric phenols (primarily carvacrol) in oregano oil in dilutions as low as 1/50,000 destroys Candida albicans, the Aspergillus mold, Staphylococcus, Campylobacter, Klebsiella, E.coli, Giardia, Pseudomonas, and Proteus. Another phenol constituent, thymol, boosts the immune system. These compounds also act as free radical scavengers (shield against toxins) thus preventing further tissue damage while encouraging healing.

Oil of oregano is antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic. It also has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects and is an ideal product to use for people who suffer from CFS and/or fibromyalgia. This is not regular oregano, but a wild form (wild mountain oregano, vulgare species) of the spice, which has, until recently, not been available in Canada. Do not use a substitute or oregano from a grocery store because it will have no effect. oil of oregano natural herbal supplement offers a variety of remedies.

edit to add link.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by whitewave]

mod edit to shorten lengthy quote

[edit on 29-4-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Here is one suggestion for any survival kit, pick up a bottle of tea tree oil from a health food store. It is a natural antibiotic that is useful in diluted concentrations for sores or acne for which I am using it with some success. It is similar to eucalyptus and has a very piercing odor that immediately clears nasal congestion so it may help if you get the flu. A bottle of concentrate costs $7-$12 for a few ounces, if you want to use it for skin problems or cold sores there is a good smelling one at the Body Shop that smells like Oil of Olay.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

by whitewave
Oregano oil (Origanum vulgare) is well known in the Mediterranean world (Greece and Crete) for its ability to slow down food spoilage through its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic and anti-oxidant activity. The related herbs thyme and marjoram sold in most North American supermarkets, are labeled incorrectly as oregano and possess little of wild oregano's miraculous healing properties.

Thank you, I was not aware of oregano oil. I will get some now.

by secretagent woooman
Here is one suggestion for any survival kit, pick up a bottle of tea tree oil from a health food store. It is a natural antibiotic that is useful in diluted concentrations for sores or acne for which I am using it with some success. It is similar to eucalyptus and has a very piercing odor that immediately clears nasal congestion so it may help if you get the flu. A bottle of concentrate costs $7-$12 for a few ounces, if you want to use it for skin problems or cold sores there is a good smelling one at the Body Shop that smells like Oil of Olay.

I always have tea tree oil on hand, I have used it for many purposes. It is a great all around oil to have on hand.

by NathannewZealand

removed by staff

Personally, I think that is just uncalled for, we are posting about positive steps people can take to help prevent infections as much as possible. What you posted is simply vulgar. That is my opinion.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I don't think it is just material preparations we need to make.

If this does become a pandemic we need to be prepared for possibly months of disruption and fear and uncertainty and so on, possibly deaths of loved ones, other dead bodies, etc. And if it becomes, you know, the end of civilisation as we know it, we all need to be geared up to survive in a post-pandemic world. I don't think it's a mass-extinction-causing virus, this is not The Andromeda Strain, but I just think we all need to consider every possible eventuality.

Moreover, in the event of the collapse of civilisation and order, we must all uphold the morals and values of the society we've lost - hundreds of years worth of progress will be wasted if we lapse back into savagery. Culture, decency, integrity, memories of what we have lost may seem useless, but in the long run, losing everything our species has worked for would be an even greater catastrophe than the one that caused it.

We must maintain our sense of humanity and the things we value now, because if not, life after a pandemic would devolve to simply animal survival, when it is equally important that we do not ever forget what went before. I am not really a fan of the past, but I am of the present and I do not want it lost.

What matters to us now, morality, integrity, honesty, fair play, we shouldn't lose those things. I know it's wishful thinking possibly, but if this does get any worse, we must not descend to blind panic and hysteria, and we should not end up fighting amongst ourselves. If this were to become a truly awful situation with bodies piling up in an Andromeda Strain/Outbreak kind of way, we must remember we are all one species and should unite to save all of us, not descend into faction fighting and forget what it is to be human.

But that's just what I think. We should be prepared mentally too.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

I like tea tree oil too and even use a toothpaste with that as a base. Unfortunately, TTO is an antibiotic which does nothing for viruses. It also increases the likelihood of a cytokine storm which seems to be what is killing these people, not the flu itself.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Anybody know where to buy airtight goggles (eye protection)?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I have a couple comments in regard to cytokine storms.

Echinacea is probably not a good choice for this flu, it increases the bodies immune/inflammation response, which in normal circumstances would be a good thing but it seems that this flu much as the 1918 flu, kills people from the accumulation of fluids in the lungs. It is not recommended that people with immune disorders take Echinacea because it can cause a deadly immune response. You should also not take Echinacea for long periods of time because they body will adapt to the increased inflammation response and dial itself down, thus making the Echinacea ineffective.

One alternative is Astragalus. It is a root and can be purchased in capsule form from the site listed above: www.puritanspride.com I buy my supplements from here and its a great site with great prices. Astragalus does NOT increase the inflammation/immune response. It works by increasing the bodies ability to produce immunoglobulins. Immunoglobulins are the what seek out and destroy foreign substances within the body. It works more as a preventative supplement as opposed to treating but it can be used while ill as long as taken before as preventative.

Zinc-Is another good choice for preventing and decrease the duration and severity of symptoms related to cold and flu. I have used zinc cough drops and seen the results myself. Although it should be noted that you should not use these cough drops beyond the recommendation or for longer than it says on the box. Zinc will cause a decrease of taste sensation on the tongue. There have been several cases of people losing their sense of taste altogether but it is usually linked to overuse.

One other point to note. Most people are not aware but anti-inflammitory drugs such as ibuprofen should not be taken when sick as the decrease inflammation/immune response and will actually make your cold last longer....now this is with a normal cold or flu. Now, the following is my speculation with regards to the above comment. I would speculate that because this flu is different than most, causing death by cytokine storms which usually results in a massive fluid build up in the lungs and the sick individual dies of asphixiation. An anti-inflammatory may be helpful in preventing death. You may end up being sick for longer but the anti-inflammatory may decrease the inflammation/immune response enough to prevent the large build up of fluid in the lungs. Again this is only my speculation that it may help.

Now me personally, I would recommend when sick, if you suspect that its swine flu, the three best choices for combating it would be (1)ibuprofen-to decrease inflammation and potentially prevent the accumulation of fluid in the lungs. (2)Astragalus- to increase the number of immunoglobulins and help to counter act the ibuprofen decreasing your inflammation response. (3)Zinc to shorten the duration and severity of the flu itself. Now all three of these should also be taken with your normal multi-vitamin and an extra boost of vitamin C. Vitamin C has not been shown to reduce or prevent the cold or flu, but vitamin C is essential in building elastin in the body along with repairing damaged structures and cells, along with being an anti-oxidant it helps to "clean up" the body of free radicals.

Also, Garlic and onions have also been shown to have antiseptic properties and are beneficial when sick.

Hope this all helps and if you have any other questions feel free to ask. I am a Registered Dietitian and have taken several classes on herbal supplements, so i have a solid background in alternative medicine.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join