It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Couple executed by Taliban for having affair

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This is a video of two people who were accused of committing adultery being executed by Taliban in Afghanistan.

WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO

link.brightcove.com...

This is the link to the story.

politicom.moldova.org...

When I see incidents like this, I know it will be chalked up to cultural differences. That is true; however, do we have a duty to intervene and stop these senseless murders?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well ..., it proved to be a capital sin

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

JS, I feel we do have that responsibility...but not just the U.S., the civilized world at large bears this responsibility.

Some on this board will shout me down though and say they are within their cultural rights to behave this way.

Personally, I don't see how we grow/mature as a species when we have these religious cavemen acting as a weight around the neck of humanity slowing us down.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
First of all this should not be allowed to happen, regardless of what idiotic religion you follow. There are way too many radicals that are trying to hide their murderous ways in this religion. The Catholics had their day with this same type of stuff.

The second point is these are the very same people that this country is up in arms about torturing. They murder their own people for adultery, they murder our people just because. For those of you that will defend these people and their acts you are no better than they.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
While I believe this is a disgrace, and should be stopped from happening, I also believe that one must look to ones own backyard first and clean that up before moving onto others.

Some western countries still practice the death sentence for people, in Russia they are taken out the back and shot immediately after sentence. In America they are stuck in a little room for 10 years then strapped to a chair and electricuted or turned to liquid mush by chemical injection.

Some of these people executed in western law are later found to be not guilty.

None of these are any different to this execution, except that the methods used are a little more complex.

[edit on 28/4/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Kryties, I see your point...but disagree slightly, yes we practice death penalty here in U.S. as well, I would like to think though that we would not impose it on matters of morality, ie...adultery.

I realize their religious dogma places adultery and murder on par as equal crimes...but I don't see it personally.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by deadbang

Drugs are a morality issue and yet are dealt with in a criminal way, sometimes executing people for it.

That is just another example of how western society is no better than any other in terms of the way it deals with certain issues.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Kryties, you got me there, I agree, just goes more to the point, morality cannot be legislated.

I do however feel execution for adultery is beyond the pale of normalcy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is morality issues should be the purvey of the civil courts and not criminal...drugs, adultery, etc...

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
While I believe this is a disgrace, and should be stopped from happening, I also believe that one must look to ones own backyard first and clean that up before moving onto others.

Some western countries still practice the death sentence for people, in Russia they are taken out the back and shot immediately after sentence. In America they are stuck in a little room for 10 years then strapped to a chair and electricuted or turned to liquid mush by chemical injection.

Some of these people executed in western law are later found to be not guilty.

None of these are any different to this execution, except that the methods used are a little more complex.

There is a profound difference between a state sanctioned death penalty for the punishment for capital crimes, that is carried out after a trial by jury, AND a gang of religious zealots stalking about killing innocent people. To compare the two and infer that both parties live in glass houses is the heigth of mindless politically correct thinking. It's no wonder society is circling the drain.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by RKWWWW]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by deadbang

I pretty much agree with you there, deadbang. It's the responsibility of the entire globe to put an end to atrocities such as these. I doubt these people were even given a trial; even so, the punishment does not fit the 'crime'.

And we cannot wait until we are blameless. Stopping these atrocities will hasten cleaning up our own backyard, imo.

Also, I am in favor of capital punishment for certain crimes.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by RKWWWW

There is a profound difference between a state sanctioned death penalty for the punishment for capital crimes, that is carried out after a trial by jury, AND a gang of religious zealots stalking about killing innocent people.

Not really, it just means that the people have even less chance of getting law against morality changed because it is state sanctioned. Just because the government says it's wrong does not mean it is - it just means that someone in a position of power thought it is wrong and therefore so should everyone else.

To compare the two and infer that both parties live in glass houses is the heigth of mindless politically correct thinking. It's no wonder society is circling the drain.

I agree that society is "circling the drain" but when I see people being executed for drug "crimes" where it is a matter of morality I cannot see the difference between that and the Taliban executing people for adultery. Both are very very wrong with the only difference being one is state sanctioned murder, and the other is religiously sanctioned murder.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

There is a profound difference between a state sanctioned death penalty for the punishment for capital crimes, that is carried out after a trial by jury, AND a gang of religious zealots stalking about killing innocent people.

Not really, it just means that the people have even less chance of getting law against morality changed because it is state sanctioned. Just because the government says it's wrong does not mean it is - it just means that someone in a position of power thought it is wrong and therefore so should everyone else.

To compare the two and infer that both parties live in glass houses is the heigth of mindless politically correct thinking. It's no wonder society is circling the drain.

I agree that society is "circling the drain" but when I see people being executed for drug "crimes" where it is a matter of morality I cannot see the difference between that and the Taliban executing people for adultery. Both are very very wrong with the only difference being one is state sanctioned murder, and the other is religiously sanctioned murder.

Are you unable to discern the difference between laws passed in a representitive democracy and a gang of thugs with no authority, killing at will?

Get back with me when governments execute people for adultry.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by RKWWWW]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Are you unable to discern the difference between laws passed in a representitive democracy and a gang of thugs with no authority, killing at will?

Would that be the "representitive democracy" that silences opposing opinions, that rigs elections and indoctrinates it's population with propaganda so as they cannot see the real truth through the lies?

Get back to me when we are not living in a twisted version of "1984".

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Would that be the "representitive democracy" that silences opposing opinions, that rigs elections and indoctrinates it's population with propaganda so as they cannot see the real truth through the lies?

Get back to me when we are not living in a twisted version of "1984".

Ok you are right. Let's not condem out right murder when it's stuck in our face. We shouldn't make moral judgements until all the wrongs in the world are righted and governments are perfect. Laws are flawed so obviously acts carried out in utter lawlessness should cause us no more concern than "official" acts. Talk about a twisted version of "1984".

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Can you please point out cases where the US has executed someone for a drug crime? Recent cases. Or please show which states still have laws mandating capital punishment for drug crimes.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

The US is not the only country that claims to have a democratic system and yet still uses capital punishment for "crimes of morality". Indonesia is the perfect example. They execute people left, right and centre for drug crimes.

While not being democratic, China is another example of a country that executes people for drug "crimes".

Now while the US may not have executed anyone for drug "crimes" in recent years, there is still a statute in your law that allows for it to happen. I find it quite disturbing that you can sit back and talk about how the Taliban are executing people for adultery and how much you want to kick their asses, and yet you won't even give countries like Indonesia or China a second glance while they are executing hundreds of people per year for similar "morality crimes".

en.wikipedia.org...

Execution for drug-related offenses

Several countries around the world execute offenders for drug-related crimes. Human rights activists have heavily criticised this. Following the execution of an Australian in Singapore for drug smuggling, Australian prime minister John Howard stated that "the punishment certainly did not fit the crime".

The following is a list of countries with statutory provisions for the death penalty for drug-related offenses.

United States (Although Federal Law mandates execution for certain drug offenses, no one is on death row for such offenses)

Iran
Singapore
India (no execution carried out for such offenses)
Kuwait
Bangladesh
Indonesia
Egypt
Pakistan
Afghanistan
Zimbabwe
Brunei
Vietnam
Laos
Iraq
Oman
Republic of China

Now don't get me wrong, executing people for adultery is a disgrace, but so is judging people for other morality crimes such as drugs. Once you clean up your own backyard THEN by all means go right ahead and kick the Taliban's ass.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

The US is not the only country that claims to have a democratic system and yet still uses capital punishment for "crimes of morality". Indonesia is the perfect example. They execute people left, right and centre for drug crimes.

Please, name some of these "crimes of morality" which have a death penalty attached to them in the US.

Do not make statements like that and expect not to be challenged. It is irresponsible to do so.

I find it quite disturbing that you can sit back and talk about how the Taliban are executing people for adultery and how much you want to kick their asses, and yet you won't even give countries like Indonesia or China a second glance while they are executing hundreds of people per year for similar "morality crimes".

This shows your ignorance and lack of familiarity with both me and ATS. Whenever these types of atrocities are committed, someone here is sure to object and point them out.

You seem to be more interested in bashing the US and spreading disinfo than you are with discussing the current topic.

Indonesia, btw, is one of the most heavily populated countries in terms of muslims. Maybe they practice Sharia law, and that may account for their actions.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Stop the strawman approach. No one in this thread is defending capital punishment for drug crimes. I can't believe convoluted thinking required when one is a moral coward. Grow a spine. Murder can be morally judged as wrong without the accompanying weasel words about "cleaning up your own backyard".

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Wow, how easily people can misconstrue my intent when they want to.

I will put this as simply as I possibly can. What the Taliban did was wrong - this I have agreed with all throughout this thread, but I find it wrong that we should judge them for what they have done when other countries we are friendly with are doing similar sorts of things - and yet we do not scream bloody murder about that do we.

It's all about double standards. Clean up our own mess before we go poking around in others.

I really hope you get this now, I am a little sick of repeating myself again and again for people who cannot read properly.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Grow a spine.

If I did not have a spine, I would not be able to stand upright.

OK, so now that the insults have started to fly, I am outa here - have a good day kids.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join