It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert Study: Conservatives Don't Know He's Joking

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I love colbert. SO, so clever! I have a friend who took one of those online tests to see which presidential candidate would best fit his beliefs...Colbert was his best match. I didn't have the heart to tell him the colbert line is satire, he was so intent on mocking my best fit...obama, which I would have to somewhat agree with now. I think I would be the best fit on one of those tests! And maybe a few of you on here.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
That's probably why Colbert's ratings are better than Stewart's. He has conservatives watching, both those who "know" and those who "don't know", and everyone's laughing.

More hilarious to me is how Discordian Colbert is.

Discordians, Subgenii, and other ne'er-do-well members of the lunatic fringe have noted certain Discordian subtexts primarily present in Colbert's shtick, but also to some extent in Jon Stewart's. References have been made to Illuminati and Discordian symbols - some subtle, some quit explicit.

For a few weeks after the 2008 writer's Strike, Colbert and Stewart were without their writers. Though each anchor is more than capable of running a one-man-show, we are sure that they could have used more material. Some have noted that even Colbert's writers, without a show to write, have taken to jaking the public. We are certain that even if they don't explicitly consider themselves Discordians, they are hip to our mumbo-jumbo. Stephen Colbert himself seems especially keyed-in to the Discordian wavelength.

So how can we be SURE that they're hip? At our prompting, they slipped Discordian references into their broadcasts. Now we know for sure that we have them in our clutches. Muahahahahahahahah....

[edit on 28-4-2009 by sadisticwoman]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Ill repeat

This is not constructive
The last thing we need right now is to be further divided

Peace
-E-

[edit on 28-4-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I would really like to see an end to this sort of stuff from the OP in the Breaking Alternative News forum. This isn't news, it is political baiting. And it is getting old.

There's nothing conspiratorial about it and you're using ATS as a personal platform for political diatribe. You say childish things like "It's ok if I do because they do it too". How old are you man?

I was one of the FEW people who backed you up during the election season(until Obama proved to be just another liar). You seemed to have become as bad as the conservative machine you were fighting against and it is the reason I can't and won't back you up anymore.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

AMEN!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

This thread is in PI, which is where it belongs. The title is the exact title from the article, too. Sure, we could all do to not bait the conservatives, but this is still interesting, that they can't tell the difference from funny and truth.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Cute... you almost have it... but your attempt at funny fell flat/short... diluted by the fact that your ruse in wit is not obvious, as in over-the-top obvious... such as saying that i had descended from alligators. Such a serious claim is obviously crazy... even if you were to translate it's meaning metaphorically... it's funny.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman

This thread is in PI, which is where it belongs. The title is the exact title from the article, too. Sure, we could all do to not bait the conservatives, but this is still interesting, that they can't tell the difference from funny and truth.

It started in breaking news, and i'm sure when a mod saw it he moved it to the proper place

-E-

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

It started in Breaking News. It was moved in the last few minutes. Regardless of the content of the OP the intention is quite clear. When you write things like "Conservatives can't do this, and won't do that, and can't tell when something is a joke" it is baiting. Not discussing and it doesn't add anything of value to the discourse in this nation. It isn't even a political issue. It's non-sense.

As a fan of the Colbert Report and of the Daily Show I can see where some might be fooled. And that's fine, one could discuss that all they want, but like my Colbert thread, it belong in BTS.

Edit to Add:

The response about the alligator allegation was hilarious...And speaks volumes of that particular persons mental capacity.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

This thread is just as relevant as any. What i am tired of seeing are adult-children blindly running our country into the ground, by voting representatives of their myopic views into office.

Satire is a kind of psychological test. Children have a very hard time grasping irony... and as we have noted some adults do to, and thus become a great source of irony themselves. This shows why we have so many public officials who are naive in the face of reality and their own spun hypocrisies.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by The All Seeing I
reply to post by MysterE

Cute... you almost have it... but your attempt at funny fell flat/short... diluted by the fact that your ruse in wit is not obvious, as in over-the-top obvious... such as saying that i had descended from alligators. Such a serious claim is obviously crazy... even if you were to translate it's meaning metaphorically... it's funny.

Did you read the OP? He didn't think that colbert actually though he descended from alligators. He was unhappy with the fact that colbert essentially resorted to name calling. In fact the example used to demonstrate how conservatives take things too seriously is in fact incorrect. No one actualy believed anyone was descended from alligators. This is exactly why I hate the two party system. Conservatives and Liberals are too busy pointing fingers, playing the blame game, and calling each other names to get anything productive done.

Well The All Seeing I, I'll offer you this concession. Since I believe we are wasting our time going back and forth, I respect your opinions, even though I disagree with them.

Peace
-E-

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Well there was that Republican congresswoman from Florida who recently thought animal husbandry had to do with beastility.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I think this would be a BTS topic. Not a conspiracy topic.

Grover, you must be very bored again. Let's talk about Pelosi's lies instead

Some day you will figure out both Parties are equally bad.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Children have a very hard time grasping irony...

I wouldn't be so sure about that... I have known some pretty sharp kids.

Oh I do know both parties are equally bad...

As I have said before I have no faith in the Democrats but I have less faith in the Republicans.

Besides that I am not so much pro Democratic rather I am anti-right wing and by extension since they have a stranglehold on the party... anti GOP.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by grover]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well, in an attempt not to further the back and forth political hatred, I'll put in a somewhat neutral opinion.

I've never seen more idiocy in one place than I have when observing humans in groups.

IQ wise, I'm in the top 7% of the population... and I don't even consider myself to be that intelligent.

Which means 93% of people are dumber than I am.
... that scares me.

So when I see a large group of people who are clearly acting like morons, I have to remind myself... 93%.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I read the OP, the article in link and the video clip in question

As for this being down graded to BTS status... i think you guys fail to see past the surface of this article, which sorry to say is a typical conservative myopic approach to people, places and things in general.

The premise of this article is based on the research conducted at OSU, that was published in The International Journal of Press/Politics, appropriately titled The Irony of Satire - Political Ideology and the Motivation to See What You Want to See in The Colbert Report

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Children have a very hard time grasping irony...

I wouldn't be so sure about that... I have known some pretty sharp kids.

Oh I do know both parties are equally bad...

As I have said before I have no faith in the Democrats but I have less faith in the Republicans.

Besides that I am not so much pro Democratic rather I am anti-right wing and by extension since they have a stranglehold on the party... anti GOP.

There you go saying that you know that both parties are bad again.

You have in past threads called yourself a Liberal.

Yet you can't seem to give both Dems and Repubs equal postings. You love to post about those evil Republicans and are rarely post the same abuot the Dems.

Admit it you post about the Repubs because in the past that has been a popular subject. You use to be able to get 10-20 pages of republican bashings. You could get alot of flags and stars and your points would shoot through the roof.

Guess what? Now it isn't so popular. Since the election people have realized that it isn't the party that is bad it is the politicions in general. They realized both parties are one in the same. There isn't a differance and that fact, for you, has not caught on yet.

There are two things you can do.

1. Come to the realization that both parties deserve equal treatment.

or
2. Come out of the Democratic closet and own up to it like a man.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Do I have to repeat myself?

I consider myself a social Liberterian with a distinctly liberal slant.

If the GOP had not evicted its moderates and liberal branches you might find that I agree with them more than the Democrats... at least on occiosion.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by jd140

Do I have to repeat myself?

Repeat whatever you feel you need to.

I can repeat that I am the king of the world a hundred times and it won't make it true.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I don't think this is baiting at all. I've heard people on ATS say "Wait, it's a joke? Really?"

I think it's kind of serious actually.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join