It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debates on Life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
If this is in the wrong forum please move mods.

I had a friendship ending debate.

The debate was how we treat friends and family vs. the way we treat strangers and acquintances. (Probably spelled wrong)

I exclaimed we treat family and friends the way we would treat strangers in no higher regard then family or friends, she/he (doesn't matter) exclaimed that we treat family and friends to a higher regard.

I expressed that family and friends were there by purpose of proximity and uncontrolled relations, and that strangers were to be treated as the same as family visa versa.

He/She expressed that family and friends should be treated to a higher regard then strangers, because we hold them closer.

I respect personally my parents opinions as those of my acquintances. Because of such they are more close, had I be born of different parents I would think otherwise of my current parents opinions, therefore I should treat them as strangers.

He/She suggested that Parents be treated in a higher regard being that they gave you life, to were you suspect them to know more then you. This bring me great grief as to, they may have given you life, but so do hill billies give life but to inbreds.

Who does BTS think is right, I suppose I am do to bias, but what is the final on BTS, your opinions matter to me?

Parents are still people. I feel there influence should matter as much as strangers. We are all thinking people with our own faults, thus they have there own faults, we are both grown adults, and should realize this, although one of us doesn't. Could be me, I reluctantly admit.

I just think anyone could be right and could be open minded, I'm just dumbfounded on his.her opinion of it.

(This could be drunken babble but, will edit later because i've always wanted this discussion.)

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
When I am in a bad mood or pissed off it is those closest to me that bare the brunt of my mood.
For that reason I hold them in higher regards for putting up with me.
A stranger only gets my common respect like I will hold a door open for them or give them directions if asked.
Theres common respect for strangers and earned respect for those close to me.
Thats my 2 cents worth.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I believe family is 1st, friends are 2nd and acquaintances are 3rd in order of respect/regard. Most families are always there for one another. In times of grief and happiness and hold the same family values. I could not uphold a mere acquaintances idea of suggestion simply because I did not know them, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Then, I don't understand why a friendship would end over a debate on the issue. Friendships must endure almost as much strain as families do when times get tough.

join