It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why countries should NOT close borders..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Hello everyone

Okay so here is my opinion about why countries, especially America, should not close borders... Have you guys seen I Am Legend(2008)? Think about right in the beginning of the movie when everyone is running to get out of the streets and people are being blocked from doing anything. Imagine that, today, in our world but on a MUCH MUCH MUCH larger scale, like in airports and border control.. it would be insanity! There is no reason why the US should close borders.. its going to get here anyways, and around the world no matter what you do if its airborne, which it will most likely mutate to be, if some strains havent already... I honestly see no reason why we should close borders considering there will be massive riots and people dying.. it would be horrible..

What do you think?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

i'm pretty sure they're not going to close borders as the CDC already said that they weren't going to be able to contain the Swine Flu ... it's here, in mexico, in the UK, pretty soon it'll be in every country or at least every continent ... i'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by scghst1
What do you think?

I think that is a fallacy to try to equate something that happened in a Hollywood movie to a real life situation.

Closing the borders completely would be near impossible. But closing the official border crossings would slow the exposure rate of non-infected persons by limiting travel between countries. There would be less people coming and going so less chance of a person infecting more and more people. I don't believe it would completely contain the virus but it would slow the progression.

In the movie, it made complete sense to close off the city of New York even though it didn't work. It's like cutting off your hand to free yourself from a trap. Just like in Outbreak when they completely quarantined the entire city even though there were still people uninfected. It's not a great decision to have to make but sometimes tough decisions have to be made for the good of all. But again, those are just movies.

Also just because it may be airborne doesn't mean some guy in going to sneeze in Mexico and the virus is going to travel on the jet stream to Africa. It doesn't work like that.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Makes sense. However, the question did arise on CNN. They said
that the President seen no cause for alarm as of yet, however
cause for concern. Then no sooner, an informant on CNN Live
said there could no doubt be some reported deaths soon even here
in U.S. by this virus.

Not too sure if the circumstances would be the same as in I Am Legend.
But who knows! Hopefully it doesn't happen. Hope is all we have in any
case. And to panic would not be wise for any of us at this point.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Would you prefer to close a border to Mexico or wait until your friends and family get the flu. What happens in Mexico should stay in Mexico!

Close the Mexican border, ban travel to and from unless it's a citizen returning to the US or Canada, but not before an exam.

top topics

join