It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan launches attack on Taliban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

PAKISTAN has launched an offensive against Taliban militants in its north-west after coming under heavy United States pressure to halt advancing extremists.

"Enough is enough. We have decided to flush them out," Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik said on Sunday.

"The peace accord was linked to peace. When there is no peace, there is no use for that accord," Mr Malik said. "I appeal to the Taliban to lay down their arms. There is no other option for them."

Sounds like the Pakistani's have thrown in the towell.

This can be a good thing or bad thing, If neither the US nor Russia could defeat them, what hope does a Pakistani military already infected with them have.

What happens when the Taliban over-run the military? what will stop them from taking Pakistan's cities?

www.watoday.com.au...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
More importantly, What would stop them from getting to the nukes. Some of the Generals in Pakistan's Army are actually loyal to the Taliban. It is a huge concern of analysts around the world. Because if they got control of the nukes, it is believed that they would either use them themselves or let a few loose in the hands of terrorists.

[edit on 27/4/09 by spirit_horse]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I fear this action will be futile. As mentioned, a percentage of the Pakistani Military is loyal to the Taliban and the ISI has been a material and monetary backer of them for a long time.

If this offensive fails and the Taliban start to make a real push on Islamabad, I fear we'll see either NATO troops or a full out invasion by India to prevent the country from completely collapsing. It isn't far from that point now.

This is a lose/lose situation unless the Pakistani Army are overwhelming successful and drive the Taliban back to the Swat or into the mountains.

This scares me more than the Flu outbreak. Much, much more.

If they manage to get there hands on even a small amount of material for a dirty bomb, you can be almost sure they would use it in Kabul or Kandahar or elsewhere in Afghanistan or possibly Iraq.

new topics

join