It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we should have already closed the border with Mexico!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Mexicans take swine flu lightly on U.S. border
27 Apr 2009 20:57:09 GMT
Source: Reuters

TIJUANA, Mexico, April 27 (Reuters) - Many Mexicans crossing into the United States on Monday at one of the busiest crossings on the border shunned advice to wear surgical face mask to curb the spread of a deadly new flu.
Most Mexican immigration officials at the Tijuana-San Diego crossing were using masks and surgical gloves, but Mexicans crossing by car and foot seemed unconcerned by the influenza scare and only a handful wore masks.
"I don't think anything will happen to me, it's old people and children we need to look after," said Gloria, a 35-year-old woman waiting to cross by car into California who declined to give her last name.
Many of the up to 149 people who have died of the new virus in Mexico have actually been aged between 25 and 45, a worrying sign as pandemics tend to target healthy young adults.
The World Health Organization raised its pandemic alert level to phase 4 over the flu virus as infections of the new strain spread to the United States, Canada and Europe.
U.S. Border and Customs Protection agents checking vehicles were equipped with masks and were checking travelers for symptoms. "We are isolating travelers with symptoms, offering them masks and alerting health authorities," said a customs spokesman at the San Ysidro crossing into California.
There are currently no travel restrictions between the United States and Mexico, the U.S. consulate in the northern city of Monterrey said on Monday, although Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urged caution in traveling to Mexico.
Many residents of Mexico's densely populated capital, Mexico City, spent the weekend hunkered at home or went out wearing face masks distributed by soldiers.
In the northern business city of Monterrey, hundreds of people lined up at pharmacies to buy packs of face masks after initially playing down the threat of contagion from other parts of Mexico. (Reporting by Lizbeth Diaz in Tijuana, Alejandro Bringas in Ciudad Juarez and Robin Emmott in Monterrey; Editing by Cynthia Osterman).

Hello......McFly......!

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review This Link

[edit on Mon Apr 27 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Yes we should have closed the border both ways, a person in my class went to Mexico this weekend and since the virus takes about 5 days to show up, my entire school could be in for a surprise later this week.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Realisticly the US and Mexico should both have their borders shut down, its already made its way around the world, lock down is the only sensible option.
Of course it will never happen though.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
What Gloria said, will in my opinion be the defining words that will kill off all of humanity. "I don't think anything will happen to me, it's old people and children we need to look after,"

People, you can all be affected, this nothing can touch me, nothing bad can ever happen to the USA, nothing nothing nothing, is bullocks, you too can be affected, and thats not fear mongering, it's being a realistic person.

I will not be surprised at all if the majority of the virus hits the USA, only second to mexico. While other countries battle it with effieceny, we seem to battle it with kindness and fear of being called racists.

Risk your life for fear of being a racists in others eyes, I don't give a darn, I don't want any potentially deadly virus to kill me, because everyones afraid that the mexicans won't like us and think we are racists.

I predicted this would happen in another post, i'm spot on with the mexico america border everytime.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I for one think that closing the border would make things worse. The panic that would arise, the people who would try to get past the barricades and out of the country would be insane.

That would make infected people and non infected people show up in large numbers at the same places spreading the infection further. Then you have food shortages and hospitals become over run with patients.

It's just a bad idea all together this early in such situations.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I for one think that closing the border would make things worse. The panic that would arise, the people who would try to get past the barricades and out of the country would be insane.

That would make infected people and non infected people show up in large numbers at the same places spreading the infection further. Then you have food shortages and hospitals become over run with patients.

It's just a bad idea all together this early in such situations.

~Keeper

Um that is prob. going to happen anyway if the illness gets worse in Mexico, they will prob. come to the good ole USA and get good healthcare.. Digest that one...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

And letting the sick and infected into the country is a good idea?

Shutting down the border is the only logical idea that there is. Letting more and more possible sick and infected into this country only increases a chance of further spreading of the virus and possible mutations of the virus.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
You people are so cruel, how can you let all those poor people without free health care at the expenses of tax payer in America without proper care?

How dare you.

I am just joking.

I agree the borders should have been closed the first day that the virus started to show up in numbers in Mexico but as usual some fat rats in Washington are to gain from all this pandemic.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Ok folks.

I think we've sensationalized this a little bit too much over the past couple of days. I understand it's scary, and doesn't really look like it's gonna turn out very good so far.

However, we can't let that fear take over and make us take drastic actions when it isn't warranted. It's simply too soon to shut down a boarder for this type of thing.

If in the next couple of days this continues to spread and people start dying OUTSIDE of Mexico, then yes close the thing down.

But so long as deaths are only being reported in one country and people in other countries are recovering, as they have been, then why go all out and quarantine an entire country whose already in somewhat of a civil war among many other things.

It won't help. Not now anyway.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bonesinis

And to escape the pandemic they will resort to crossing at places that are not controlled.

The ILLEGAL entrants have NOT been stopped...when the panic sets in, there won't be stopping any of them.

Time to visit your local gun shop at stock up on rpgs, hand grenades, and C4 explosives, I guess. Don't forget your fully automatic AK47 and ammo for it.
Turn the citizenry loose, they'll stop 'em.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
wow everybody is treating mexicans as if they were a plague...
Even in my country (Colombia) they all have to pass by lots of exams before they can leave the airport and enter the city..

And then they get an Earthquake.

I dont say let them go anywhere as if they didnt have anything but dont talk about em as a zombie plague!

It sure feels bad.. lol Like when I enter the US from Colombia and they ask some of the passengers if they are Drug Dealers

[edit on 27-4-2009 by aNdReSk]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Of course they are keeping the borders open. How will the drug companies make billions of dollars saving Mexicans with no health care or even decent hospital support? They want the US population to have this so that they can get all of that 'flu drug' income.

Anybody got a number on how much money is spent on politicians by the drug lobby? I'll bet its a tidy sum.

After the entire country is too far gone to stop things with quarantine then the drug companies will suddenly come up with a high priced vaccine and some new miracle drugs that will go at inflated prices. The drug companies stand to make a killing off of this situation and the citizens will foot the bill.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the politicians will vote almost unanimously to give emergency powers to the President to remove even more of our rights as citizens in the name of effective emergency management. This will be very necessary because they will have to make up for the fact that they intentionally left the borders open and allowed the virus to enter the country unchecked. This will also put many Americans in a situation of not being able to afford the treatments for the disease.

How many of our politicians will have trouble getting treatment?
Take a guess.

Our good leaders (Mr. President and the rest ) who are not even attempting to stop the influx of infected carriers from Mexico have very good reasons for following this course. They are called greed and control.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Well this is going to make some very worry,

Some Mexican ill say doctors turned them away
Country faces criticism for seemingly slow, confused response to outbreak

MEXICO CITY - Two weeks after the first known swine flu death, Mexico still hasn't given medicine to the families of the dead. It hasn't determined where the outbreak began or how it spread. And while the government urges anyone who feels sick to go to hospitals, feverish people complain ambulance workers are scared to pick them up.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

This people have to go somewhere to take care of their sickness and an open border will be a easy target.

Still this whole issue is sad.

Then again you most ask if this virus is the result of a act of nature or the act of some lab playing with nature.

Until now Mexico has not been able to pin point from where the first outbreak came out or where the first animal to human transmission happen.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I wonder how helpful the Mexican government is being with sharing information with other world health organizations/governments....

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
chr1z, they have not been able to handle the pandemic situation because the Mexican nation is not prepared for this type of disaster.

Even the numbers of infected and death are not accurate as they can only count people in the main cities, the rest of the nation is off limits to government right now.

This makes the situation more dangerous as the government has not been able to find the most important information that can help other nations if they face pandemic proportions.

The need to find out how the disease spread from animal to human and the animals needs to be destroyed, so far the government has not been able to do that.

This means that while in the US we are getting perhaps a weaker strain of the virus it may be some carrying the more virulent strain still.

But What can we do, even when I am here joking about the borders, I find this very sad and tragic and after all we are all humans.

The only way that the government can not find the link to the first contamination could be that the virus was a lab mutated one.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
So, you (OP) obviously think by shutting down the borders you can prevent a virus to spread?

Well, then you have to shut down international tourism completely. And, by the way, it's already in the US. So, that would mean US citizens shouldn't be allowed to travel outside the country either, right?

[edit on 27-4-2009 by thegreatobserver]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
If the level rises to 5 now is 4 you bet that it will be no traveling for a while, no gatherings, church or protest not people in the streets and marital law.

That is what is going on in Mexico right now.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thegreatobserver

I think that if we shut down the borders right now we might be able to keep a more powerful strain out.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Consider one thing if you will. In Mexico you can get antibiotics without a prescription. The border towns are full of US citizens buying drugs there. It could be that there will be Americans clamoring to these border towns wanting to get into Mexico when the US health care system is overwhelmed with sick people and not enough medical personnel to deal with it. They have clinics and small pharmacies in greater abundance in Mexico and it's much easier and cheaper to get health care there.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
And while we are at it, let's close all the borders from each state.

Everybody is quarantined to their own country or state.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join