It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Cockateil Laid Eggs!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Recently my brothers cockateil started laying eggs on the cage floor there are 2 eggs so far. The two birds share the cage.

Can anyone give advice on what to do? Has anyone bred these things and what are his chances of bringing up the bird or its survival?

Help :bnghd:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BigC2012

Birds aren't really my area as i keep lizards

I did have a quick look on the net though and i found the following, hope it may help?

Breeding

The hand raising process begins with the breeding of two adults. Prolific breeders, cockatiels will breed at just about any time of year once reaching sexual maturity. However, breeding in the heat of summer should be avoided. Hens lay between five to seven eggs and share the incubation with the cock, which lasts from 18 to 21 days. Chicks grow rapidly after hatching and are ready to fly (fledge) at around five weeks of age. Hand raised cockatiel chicks are removed from the nest at around seven to 10 days. The chicks are then hand fed, using a syringe with special chick feeder, for between one to six weeks. Breeders say that more effective bonding occurs if the birds are hand fed for up to six weeks by an experienced person before the bird is sold. When hand feeding, normal feeding patterns are duplicated, with feeding occurring up to five or six times daily. As the birds grow, the feeds are decreased until they are five to six weeks old and starting to feed themselves.Defrosted frozen peas and corn kernels are a particular favourite. Once reaching seven to eight weeks, the bird will generally be able to feed itself.

www.burkesbackyard.com.au...

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

Thanks for that.

He is looking on the internet but wants to find someone who could talk him through the process. It sounds like its possible but would need personal care and attention which unfortunately he doesnt have.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
There is now three eggs. The birds are doing well now so hopefully we can see some chicks and maybe rear them?

new topics

top topics

join