It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Sattelites in 15 mins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Sitting out back there and watched 12 slow moving sattelites pass over in the space of 10-15 minutes.

Is this normal activity for the sky the most I have saw before was 4 in 20 minutes but this sets a new record for me. What are all these slow moving lights, and how are they so bright?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Hiya mate, when was this?
The reason i asked is because sat night my mate & i saw 6 in about 30 mins then last night we saw 10 in about 20 mins.
Both nights we saw changes in direction, sometimes arcing and some zig zagging/slowing down, then speeding up to where they would have been if hadnt etc. We also watched one ( i was using decent binoculars ) that suddenly lit up really bright for say 2 secs then dimmed back again.

I know people will say they are all satallites but they dont change direction or flare up.
Also the sun was well gone so cannot blame that.

Also they seem quite big so how would you see something the size of a satallite from that distance?

Im not convinced they are satallites at all, in fact im positive some werent.

Nice one for posting this thread as i was thinking of doing it myself earlier & im glad im not the only one looking up in the garden!

S&F

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This was tonight at about 10:15 pm UK time. At one point I thought they were going out of sight, doing a U-turn then coming back it seemed like everywhere I looked something was moving.

Sometimes they do look like a curve in flight but its hard to tell whether they change direction. I haven't looked at them through binocs that would be cool I would say.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BigC2012

Sounds like nyour seeing same things we were as in uk too.

Its weird how some look much bigger than others too.

Bit cloudy here but definately going too have a look now.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Has anyone got a way of finding out just what sattelites were supposed to be moving over at that time?

8 of them were moving in a generally north direction 4 going the other way roughly.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I forgot to say I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It seems weird the activity up above whilst all the panic over swine flu down here.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Hi there.
I'm in Portugal and i've been seeing this supposed satellites as well.
I either don't think all of them are cause some do this slight changes in trajectory and lit up.
I got a video on youtube where one can see the object slightly go out of direction.
Please check the video and comment what you see.
Sorry for the shaking in the half of the video but i have the tendency to try to get a closer look and when the zoom is extreme the camera get's sensible to my movements.Watch closely the final seconds.
www.youtube.com...

And here's that final moment zoomed version

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This is fairly normal for sattelites, the thing is there are lots of them up there, and certain times are much better to view them, the angle of the sun light is still there even when it is dark but eventually it dissapates as the night goes on. Normally there is a major window of an hour or two where lost sattelites will be seen in a short amount of time and its generally an hour or so after dark and an hour or so before sunrise. Sattelites do flare up when they reach the peak of reflection and can almost appear to dissapear after the flare up.
A good site for tracking sattelites is
www.heavens-above.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Sounds like you're seeing iridium flares. The site on the previous post (heaven's above) is pretty accurate, and they also list passes for the ISS and any STS missions.

That said, I've noticed a few oddballs too... Most specifically Saturday night (4/25) around 0330 UTC. I live in UTC -5, and was viewing the eastern sky. Not to the point of screaming "UFO", but there were definitely some oddballs.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Heavens above had no details on what I saw last night. Especially in the case where I saw 12 of them in such a short time, are they secret?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by cropmuncher
Hiya mate, when was this?
The reason i asked is because sat night my mate & i saw 6 in about 30 mins then last night we saw 10 in about 20 mins.
Both nights we saw changes in direction, sometimes arcing and some zig zagging/slowing down, then speeding up to where they would have been if hadnt etc. We also watched one ( i was using decent binoculars ) that suddenly lit up really bright for say 2 secs then dimmed back again.

S&F

There is no way what you are describing could be, or is a satellite.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
on the evening of the 25th, saturday, my hubby and i witnessed one of these little moving stars (thats what they look like) aroud 11pm MDT, moving from west to east. i witnessed a second on the same evening about 20-30 minutes after the first, moving from south to north.

this may not sound like much compared to the multiple per hour posts in this thread, but it is significant enough to me considering i live in a larger city with alot of light pollution, and have never seen this kind of stuff. i see planes regularily, but never anything that seemed as far up as these did, and they also seemed to move across the sky much faster than i would think a plane at a rather high position would appear to move. also, if they were planes, i would likely see these things often way up there. anyway, you all know the story.. :p

now i don't spend hours upon hours outside at night looking at the sky, (too cold lately plus the light pollution and all...), but i do go out regularily during the evening on most nights to smoke, and to spend some time scanning the smallish peice of sky that is visable to me from my back yard.

the only explination my husband and i could really give to the sighting(s) was that they were satallites.. however, before (and since) saturday, i'd never actually seen any satallites, in town with all the light pollution..

ive seen similiar things in the sky while away from the city.. always chalked those up to shooting stars or satallites. i just really did not expect to see one while in the city, let alone 2 in one night, within the same hour or less.

anyway, i thought it was odd alittle, as did hubby.. but satallites seemed to be the only, and probably the best, explination... but then i came across this thread here, and now i think the sightings are a bit more interesting again.

anyone have any ideas of why satellites would've been so much more visable to people over the past few days, or week?

[edit on 28-4-2009 by sitara]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
That's odd, I can't imagine seeing 12 satellites pass by in such a short period of a time, so perhaps they were not satellites.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigC2012
Sitting out back there and watched 12 slow moving sattelites pass over in the space of 10-15 minutes.

Is this normal activity for the sky the most I have saw before was 4 in 20 minutes but this sets a new record for me. What are all these slow moving lights, and how are they so bright?

Twelve satellites in the span of 15 minutes?!

I'm not tech/sat expert, but that amount considering the time interval sounds staggering quite frankly.

Please try to describe the sight with more-detail. Like you say that they moved slowly...Do you recall if there was any back-and-forth movement? Say left-to-right than right-to-left?...Because in that case I'd be doubtful of a satellite explanation.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Seeing 12 objects in the space of 15 minutes is not that unusual. It is to be expected given the right viewing conditions, of course one can not account for everything that you see, but if the sky is busy it would be easy to take your eye off one object and its paths cross with another giving it the appearances of changing directions. Plus its not just sattelites that are up there, the vast majority of the mess is space junk, the discarded material from previous rocket missions and older sattelites breaking down or colliding. With the amount of rubbish that is up there it is suprising you dont see more than that. As i mentioned before it cannot account for all sightings im guessing, but Yes it is normal to witness such activity.

www.space.com...

List of Space Junk

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GateCrasher

Using just the visual list from Space-Track, it's not uncommon for there to be 3-4 satellites overhead simultaneously. Usually there's 1-2 high up and 1-2 just starting or ending a pass.

new topics

top topics

join