It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli official: Swine flu name offensive

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaveTheDrama
Wow, now the name of a flu is offensive?

I think that some people have too much time on their hands...

www.phillyburbs.com

The outbreak of swine flu should be renamed "Mexican" influenza in deference to Muslim and Jewish sensitivities over pork, said an Israeli health official Monday.

Deputy Health Minister Yakov Litzman said the reference to pigs is offensive to both religions and "we should call this Mexican flu and not swine flu," he told a news conference at a hospital in central Israel.

Is this crazy or what. Beef and pork exports from the US are being blocked because of this flu which by the way is not transmitted via meat.

Drug companies stocks rise, airline stocks drop, what else can we pile onto this story?

Oh add some conservative on Cavuto saying this is the time to block all illegal immigration, seal the borders, since in his mind they are somehow to blame for this.

Craziness, take a deep breath, and while you keep yourself aware of this potential pandemic, Keep a keen eye on what is going on under the radar..

Funny as heck i tell ya, i say screw them , its a flue from a swine, not a mexican swine but a china swine. (so the reports point) How about we call it, a nasty F@#$ virus and see how they like that.

Some people have way to much time on their hands, its pathetic, all the crap going on in the world and they decide to fuss about this?
to freakin PC any more.. its sad.
Unless you are porkin the pork, i dont see where it could be offencive

[edit on 4/27/09 by SaveTheDrama]

[edit on 27-4-2009 by severdsoul]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
OMFG, What the hell is happening to this world!!

Can anything be said, done, spoken about, etc etc, without offending somebody!

Its looking like a major pandemic and people are worried about the word swine may offend some.

A lot of people in this world need to harden up.

Sorry about the rant, it just drives me crazy, everywhere you turn its happening.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
They really are lame. If the swine is an offensive creature, and the flu is an offensive disease, then what's the problem? Unless they don't consider flu viruses to be unclean?

Just get a life, you Abrahamic morons

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

"The virus spreading around the world should not be called "swine flu" as it contains avian and human components and no pig has so far been found ill with the disease..."

That sentence from the article doesn't even make sense. Is it even true? They are repeatedly saying the flu contains avian, swine, and human strains...so why did they phrase it this way. I know it's an article from Reuters and all but I'm REALLY beginning to question their reporting in the past few years. Sounds and looks pretty sloppy to me.

As for the name swine flu being "offensive" to some. Geeeeeeeeeeeeez. If that's where it came from that's where it came from. Maybe the Swiaviman flu might please everyone? This just makes me shake my head. Attentiontards are all they are.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Oh my god... Now the discussion over "Swine Flu" has actually taken a turn to: "The name is offensive".

This is getting way too much attention if you ask me. I can't believe how many people are going nuts over this issue these days.

It's not the end of the world folks!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The World Health Organization (WHO) just issued a statement recommending that from now on, this influenza outbreak be referred to by the name of North American Influenza. Here is the link to that story in the New York Times:

www.nytimes.com...

WHO claims that "North American Influenza" follows their regular naming conventions for disease outbreaks.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Yes it's offensive, how dare they blame this on poor little piggies when we all know Obama carried the Swine Flu into Mexico, it should be the OBAMA FLU!

Obviously I am not serious, but I really can't help to get a tear in my eye when I see all the pictures of the poor little pigs who were mostly destined to be slaughtered anyway.
Swine it's self is a strange intense word.

But anyway, making a stink over the name is a little over the top now if they named it after the first person who came down with it I'd say maybe that is wrong and cruel but there are actually a few illnesses named after people so what do I know.
I bet they won't think twice of care to be bothered by the name if they came down with it themselves those kinds of things just seem to be a little trivial once finally put into perspective.

I think the most effective thing to do with people who make a fuss over things like this is just not to pay them any mind, let them rant and rave but if it's not replied to or addressed it kind of just losses it's point.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaveTheDrama
Wow, now the name of a flu is offensive?

I think that some people have too much time on their hands...

www.phillyburbs.com

The outbreak of swine flu should be renamed "Mexican" influenza in deference to Muslim and Jewish sensitivities over pork, said an Israeli health official Monday.

Deputy Health Minister Yakov Litzman said the reference to pigs is offensive to both religions and "we should call this Mexican flu and not swine flu," he told a news conference at a hospital in central Israel.

Is this crazy or what. Beef and pork exports from the US are being blocked because of this flu which by the way is not transmitted via meat.

Drug companies stocks rise, airline stocks drop, what else can we pile onto this story?

Oh add some conservative on Cavuto saying this is the time to block all illegal immigration, seal the borders, since in his mind they are somehow to blame for this.

Craziness, take a deep breath, and while you keep yourself aware of this potential pandemic, Keep a keen eye on what is going on under the radar..

[edit on 4/27/09 by SaveTheDrama]

WOW this is the first time that some body from Israel is talking for the Muslim world and now everybody on ATS is saying THEM and THEY , as for Muslims and Jews , and i saw some bad words written and no MOD has erased those bad words.

Now as a Muslim i don't see anything wrong in calling it swine flu although it doesn't have any thing to do with pigs, i mean let it be swine flu so what , its only hurting those pigs feelings and i don't care what so ever, so for that guy in Israel SPEAK FOR YOUR SELF AND YOUR PEOPLE.
i really laughed last night when i received this news on my cell phone and all of my friends were laughing too, we just didn't know why was this guy angry, seriously i mean why should i care when we don't have pigs in our country?

so please ATS members talk only about this guy and not Muslims cuz we didn't say so.

peace

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Hold the phone on the WHO name change, now it's the U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack (oops, the Washington Post just changed that to the Department of Homeland Security, whatever) who doesn't want to offend pork interests, so Vilsack just announced his solution:

voices.washingtonpost.com...

Here is the original story, attributed to Ag Secretary Vilsack:

voices.washingtonpost.com...

Frankly, this Obama cabinet "solution" strikes me as the worst of all possible worlds: "H1N1 Flu Outbreak"

Stupid.

[edit on 4/28/2009 by Uphill]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I have a theory, and I am surely going to get flamed for it, but here goes...
1] This flu has been identified as comprising of avian, human and pig flu, which screams to me that it is not a natural virus.
2' Which country has been known in the past for developing major biological weapons?
3] Which country's citizens are reputed to control the world's banking system?
4] And finally, which country would NEVER be suspected of anything to do with pigs?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you.......ISRAEL!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by royspeed

Yes, you nailed it. Undeniable proof. Goebbles will give you a hug. Call it Israeli flu. Happy? By the way - there are pig farms in Israel. There is a large (mainly ex-Soviet) population that consumes pork.
And for OP - Mexican official protested Israeli official protest since our guy called it Mexican flue. So even though our politician showed that he is much more insane, other politicians are also in usual good shape.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join