It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli official: Swine flu name offensive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Wow, now the name of a flu is offensive?

I think that some people have too much time on their hands...

www.phillyburbs.com

The outbreak of swine flu should be renamed "Mexican" influenza in deference to Muslim and Jewish sensitivities over pork, said an Israeli health official Monday.

Deputy Health Minister Yakov Litzman said the reference to pigs is offensive to both religions and "we should call this Mexican flu and not swine flu," he told a news conference at a hospital in central Israel.

Is this crazy or what. Beef and pork exports from the US are being blocked because of this flu which by the way is not transmitted via meat.

Drug companies stocks rise, airline stocks drop, what else can we pile onto this story?

Oh add some conservative on Cavuto saying this is the time to block all illegal immigration, seal the borders, since in his mind they are somehow to blame for this.

Craziness, take a deep breath, and while you keep yourself aware of this potential pandemic, Keep a keen eye on what is going on under the radar..

[edit on 4/27/09 by SaveTheDrama]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SaveTheDrama

Attention seekers,give them back the lime light,ha what about us.
Swine flu name offensive ok call it Pig Flu,Mexican Flu,Gods Flu,Alla's flu,Death Flu opps forgot one jews flu.

I don't think this Swine Flu cares what your beliefs are it's marching on with the Grim reaper by it's side!

Zelong.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SaveTheDrama

besides it isnt even Swine Flu it's an Hybrid of Avian/Swine and Human Influenza.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Raider of Truth

Aha!!! Great point.... Could be the reason the US cases have been described as mild..

Whereas the folks suffering down in Mexico have the mutant form of the flu..

Which makes sense...

Then tell me why it isn't being reported as such, everywhere I look, it is all conveniently beneath the blanket called swine flu...

There has to be a reason..

[edit on 4/27/09 by SaveTheDrama]

link   
My own nick name this bug is Frankenflu in recognition for how much stuff has been spliced into this thing

link   
See, I told you this Sensitive to everything thing was awful.

We have to change the name of everything to be well suited so noone could possibly, maybe, likely, eventually, take offense to it.

I'd really like to meet the Jew, muslim, or whatever who is going to come out and demand the name be changed because His/Her feelings are hurt.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Jezz...then let us just name it to be known as the Baxter-virus then...true and honest thou

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
LOL, I was wondering how long it would take a Jew or a Muslim to be offended by having an illness known as swine flu. Apparently not long at all.
clearly swine influenza is anti semitic

[edit on 27-4-2009 by searching4truth]

[edit on 27-4-2009 by searching4truth]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Are they really serious?

So we should rename this disease that is killing people because the word swine offends them?

Do we really need to get a group of people together to come up with a PC name for it?

They can go lick a swines butt.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This renders me speechless,a rare phenom indeed.

Do these people have NOTHING BETTER to do than to stir up chit when the pot's already boiling over?
Seriously...I'm going to ask all of my Jewish friends if they are indeed offended and see how they react.Bet they throw something at me for my sheer stupidity?

The world's simply gone mad.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It's one flu over the cuckoo's nest.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
As a taxpayer in the U.S. if offends me that so much time and money is spent on a conflict dating back to the beginning of their respective religions. Since God/Allah/Whoever you choose to believe in is the creator of all, shouldn't we blame him for creating such an offensive creature in the first place?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
People should check the report here. www.alertnet.org...

Calling this thing Swine Flu is technically incorrect.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Give me a frigging break! Sounds like naughty kids needing attention all of the time. They really need to find something productive to do for once and give the world a break.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I think "Mexican Flu" would be offensive to Mexicans. I don't think the pigs care? I mean did anybody think of asking the the pigs if it was offensive to them? Some people are WAY too sensitive. Yes Israel the spotlight is off of you for a minute. Calm down, we'll be back tomorrow.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is good news in a way. It signifies that Israel has advanced to the point that they no longer consider Mexicans to be "unclean!". Equality is just a stone's throw away now.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I believe the Israeli doesn't know his G-d. The command was not to eat of the swine. G-d didn't say one couldn't mention the creature by name, he said don't eat it for health reasons. The creator made the pig in the first place which makes the creature not evil.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Lets ask the Pigs what they think.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I would think people who don't eat pig would be excited that the title is possibly insulting to pigs and pig products.

Not sure about the beef and meat, though. Doesn't make much sense. Otherwise, I would agree the title is misleading because it's a combination of things. I would just call it Influenza followed by the letters and numbers assigned by the WHO.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Wow I didn't know that we were renaming diseases because it offends some religious groups.

Look it's what it is. It comes from PIGS, therefore SWINE flu is very appropriate.

Leave it to Israel to flail their arms on a subject they have nothing to do with. I guess they were tired of not being in the news.

~Keeper

top topics

<<   2 >>

join