It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the panic over something as trivial as Swine Flu?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Because people are susceptible to hype and panic.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Freelancer

Go study the swine flu of 1918 and you might learn why the CDC and WHO are freaking out. They know this is the big one. There will be millions, maybe billions of people dead within 1 year.

Once this gets to India and China, its all over. This is a virus, not a bacteria, there is no cure, no vaccine.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The reactions by MSM we are seeing are a direct result of Katrina... the government learned it's lesson from that disaster. Now, they are trigger happy. We are damned whatever we do, is the train of thought by them.
By making such an issue of it, the government can say that it did its part.

As stated before, in so many words...YOU are responsible, the individual, for your own well being. We can not be dependent on the government to prevent US, you or me, from catching the swine flu, or the next cross town bus.

My point being...panic will not keep you safe, but good judgment and common sense will... but when has that ever been an attribute of the general public??

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Oh let's see..
Is this enough reason for people to panic?

Reported confirmed cases in the folowing countries:

Switzerland, Spain, Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand,
Mexico( 2028 infected155 DEAD), Mexicali, Canada, U.S.,
France, Denmark, Norway, U.K.,Israel, Peru, Chili, Bolivia, Columbia, Russia, Tiland, Tiwan,
Austria, Germany, Austraila (70 new cases in last 24 hrs.) South Korea...etc.

This strain of Swine Flu is far from trivial.
See for your self. When you look at a map it becomes very scary !!

www.idemc.org...

maps.google.com...,9.316406&spn=34.792294,79.101563&t=h& z=4

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I have not seen any "panic" over this anywhere yet. I have seen people who are concerned, people who are seeking news and information, people who want to be prepared and informed in the event that this gets worse.

Really, is there anything wrong with that?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Our medicines don't work, they have nothing to treat this. Tamiflu cannot treat this variant and they know it.

It will take them at least 6 months before they can even grow out a strain, kill it and use the left over RNA to make a vaccine, then they have to test it6 more months, human trials, 3 more months. By then the first wave will have run it's course and millions will be dead.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
You can see how the threshold is rising in what is being broadcasted on the News --little things are getting WAY too much attention. Why? Again, we have to feel in danger, or threatened so the Government can step in and protect us. A few years ago it was terrorism, and of course, still is. But now, it's our health. The health threat is just now getting launched, that's the reason for the over-exposure. There will be "worse" diseases coming and soon we will all have to get shots.

You can reflect back and see how things have transpired from September 10, 2001, until now. Things are progressing against us in many areas. Now, it's all about time. The quicker people get out of control, the quicker the Government will step in and put the Constitution on an Etch-A-Sketch. The more people panic, the quicker they will enforce shots, and shots is just the beginning. Just like the definition of a terrorist has been severely broadened to include almost anyone, the term "quarantined" will also be broadened very soon, and yes, you guessed it, it will include almost anyone. All in the name of National Security folks.

Very smart they're starting with the flu-like symptoms. And anyone with these symptoms in time will have to be quarantined.

From here on out anyone going to the ER and complaining of "flu-like symptoms," will be put in a data base. If not now, soon.

And the genius of it all will be, if you don't get the shots, or go under quarantine, you will be labeled a terrorist.

And the circle around you will be completed and cave in on you.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The only panick is the one being generated by the press. While this is important, it isnt that big a deal yet, not comparitively speaking. I believe this is a primer virus. Spread for the purpose of being sensationalized so the Media, DHS, WHO and US Gov can make a big deal of it. I believe it is quite possible we will see new, have to get passed immediatly, legislation pop up that calls for manditory vacinations. There in will lie the real threat as the vacinations will be primers to make us receptors to the next wave of virus and that will be the real mass murdering epedemic. Just my opine

[edit on 28-4-2009 by Barkster]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Damn people im in the middle of the storm in Mexico

All media prime time coverage is for one reason
In order to diminsh the outbreak of the virus people need to be informed in order to know what to do or what not to do

Simple things like dont shaking hands, washing hands, staying at home can reduce significanty the spreading of the virus

Also this outbreak model fits like 1918 pandemic starting the first wave on summer followed by a far deadly 2nd wave on winter.

So yes we must be prepared

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Why the panic or fear? Not justified at this point in my opinion but certainly informing people is the right thing to do especially if you want your and your cronies stock in flu vaccinations to increase dramatically.

It is too bad the MSM doesn't also share the common flu number of deaths and the hospitalizations each year to reduce the panic factor.

However if the thing mutates like the Spanish Flu then we are in a world of hurt.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freelancer
Are people really that uneducated and close-minded to the world they live in?

Yes they are. It's even worse than that. Look at this thread.

A big part is people demand the facts before anyone has any to report, so the media obliges with a combination of hysteria driven wrong info and now urban myths like those driving this story.

It would appear the normal seasonal flu is more deadly and yet we have panic.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by the8th

How will panic and false information help? The ordinary seasonal flu and pneumonia kill more people every year than this one is likely to kill. Why are we not panicking over that?

Is it not likely that millions in Mexico is the true number who has been sick and that we don't know that because the mortality rate is so low and few have gone in to hospitals?

It turns out the hype about the mixture of flu's was wrong. It is a mixture of the Euro/Asian variety with the North American variety making Jones and his kin a horses ass for spreading the false information.

Of course you folks are panicked. Say thank you to the media because the panic is unnecessary.

This thread has a link to good information from the first reliable sources.

Another thing that strikes me as odd is the concept that those masks will filter out a virus. They won't in fact. You won't find a Hazmat team wearing them
The masks are a placebo. Common sense and washing your hands will do more good.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I agree,although i have seen it before.Looking at my family and the media its ASTONISHING how much they can influence people quite easily in a short period of time by bombarding them from every avenue with over the top reporting and scare mongering tactics.Unless circumstances change i really dont see where all this fear is coming from except straight from the MSM and straight into peoples psyche.The whole level 4/5/6 things isn't even about the threat of the virus imo,its more about psychological impact such *levels* have on the populace,just to add some more fear and doom on top of everything else of course.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yawn

The regular flu has killed more people in the last couple of months than this has in its fevered time in the spotlight.

The number of cases in the U.S. is said to be at 91. Ooh, 91. I found a percentage calculator to see what this added up to, and 91 ends up being about .000003033% of the U.S. population (some 300 million or more); something David Wilcock referred to in a recent article as a "statistical insignificance" (if that even needed to be said).

People need to educate themselves, as well as to put things in perspective.

At the moment, people are responding irrationally to what is an intense media blitz, which is unbelievably disproportionate to the threat. It's actually absurd.

So, if you're an American and you're reading this thread, you have more of a chance of dying from the regular flu than you would contracting this potpourri strain of the flu.

Look what happened to the dozen other viral freak-outs du jour and you'll get a pretty good idea how much you'll be talking about Swine Flu after the media blitz ends...Which won't be much.

Read up a little on viruses before you unnecessarily get your heart rate up (something that has a far better chance of killing you).

If you meet someone with the Swine Flu, get their autograph, because they will represent an extremely select few.

Is there anything else on? *switching channels*

[edit on 29-4-2009 by atswheat]

[edit on 29-4-2009 by atswheat]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Freelancer

You're absolutely right, in a sense. UNTIL this flu broadcasts and claims 20,000 lives, it is not an immediate threat worldwide. HOWEVER, the cause for concern is those agencies and countries that look ahead, mindful of the patterns that are being exhibited now. It is an extropolation of probabilities.

Don't forget...... a pandemic spreads geometrically. The first few days of reporting started showing a POSSIBLE pattern. It didn't crop up in major cities with international airports. It started in clusters everywhere. I would guess that it is as prevalent in the Middle East, Russia, China as other places, but perhaps the reporting is being curtailed. Even if that is not true (and if it is NOT, then ...... hmmmmm) there is a tendancy with viruses to infect in a geometric pattern, replicating, perhaps shifting, spreading.

By the time it reaches the threshold you spoke of --20,000 -- the war might have already been won or lost. I think it's entirely appropriate to treat this virus as a potentially serious pandemic.

If it doesn't shake out that way, several million dollars are spent unnecessarily, but not lost, as systems and responses are tested. If it does shake out that way, lives are lost. Lots of lives that might've been saved had "they" not acted as they are now. I think it's a good gamble to assume the worst. Ask any virologist...... the planet is long overdue for a pandemic, as compared with past history.

Certainly the scourge of AIDS has been a horror, and continues to be so. The spread rate, however, is small compared to an active communicable virus. I just thank God that it wasn't Ebola or Marburg that is spreading now.

cheers

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
And what would be the real reason behind this "Pandemic" hysteria?

In Mexico we are loosing a big part of income because tourism is going to hell, industry and commerce are getting slower.

Maybe because we havent lived on 1918. Maybe we dont want to face the fact that humans are fragile.

Its not about doom its about preparation

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Just came across a pretty good, evenhanded treatment of this media manufactured Armageddon at mercola.com.

A physician published his own thoughts on the Swine Flu and explains, with references, what everyone not moved by the pandemic of melodramatic, flashy and heavy-handed coverage should recognize - we've been here before, and there are other illnesses (not to mention news stories) that more warrant this attention.

Here is one excerpt from his article,

Honestly, your risk of being killed by a lightning strike in the last five years was about 2,300 percent higher than your risk of contracting and dying from the bird flu.6 I'm not kidding! In just one year (2004), more than 1,170 people died from lighting strikes, worldwide.

SOURCE ARTICLE

The statistics still continue to fail to support the fervor over these influenza cases.

You can track these cases - what there are of them, with Google Swine Flu Tracker.

You'll notice that many of the few cases that are being reported in the U.S. end up not being the Swine Flu. You'll also notice that most or all of the cases in the U.S. that have been confirmed cases end up being sent home and return to their daily activities.

Does this sound like a pandemic? No. There is not, by any stretch, an exceptionally large number of any population affected by this strain of influenza.

You'll notice that many of the statements made in the media and elsewhere are speculative; statements to the effect that "we expect to see a rise."

There is reason to believe that the number of cases might increase based on the fact that this outbreak (so to speak) just occurred. But to say in the media (including print media and the Internet) that a case is probably Swine Flu before it's been fully diagnosed, and reporting as such is irresponsible.

This anticipated rise isn't really manifesting to the degree that the media has everyone panicked about. Perhaps the rash decision by the media to blitzkrieg us with what appears to be modern day Armageddon was in fact premature and irresponsible.

People have the perception that if multiple media sources are reporting something, then there is good cause to believe the information is unbiased and accurate.

We understand now, however, that there are a small number of organizations (individuals) that control the myriad media outlets and organizations that provide us our daily bread.

Perhaps these are elements, which control certain segments of the media, want to perpetuate a level of fear and anxiety under the guise of public awareness...

That would be conspiratorial though, and we know how baseless conspiracy theories are...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Im not a doctor, but what if everyone that had already had the flu this season had this strain already?What im sayin is i had the flu they never tested the strain..I know there is a need to worry about any influenza ,especially coming from a family of doctors ,but there is something goin on behind the curtain that we are not seeing due to this lovely news!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join