It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the panic over something as trivial as Swine Flu?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
The differance is that HIV is a disease that you can live with for a very long time. It is no longer a death sentance, there are treatments and very potentially a cure. This "flu" is killing people within days. Not years, but days and it's new. Not to mention a mutated strain that has the potential to kill thousands if not millions within DAYS. That's my two cents for what it's worth.

Your argument is somewhat flawed.

The 'common' flu in the US kills around 547 people per day, thats based on the CDC figures of 20,000 deaths per year attributed to the 'common' flu. The 'common' flu also kills within a few days, tho recover does take longer. It has been stated that this new flu strain kills healthy adults rather than the young and old making this more 'deadly', but as this is a new strain its too early to make this kind of assumption.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freelancer
Why the sudden concerns and general sense of panic when something as trivial as Swine Flu starts to hit the headlines? Are people really that uneducated and close-minded to the world they live in?

Lets take a quick look at whats happening around us right now.

AIDS is killing around 3.1 million per year. Source
The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) recorded in 2006 36,828 new cases of AID's for the US alone.
World wide, The Yale AIDS Watch has a figure of 5.1 million new cases of AIDS per year.

People are dying in their millions from AIDS yet life goes on as normal around us.

Lets look at cancer.

According to WHO( World Heath Organisation)

* Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide: it accounted for 7.4 million deaths (around 13% of all deaths) in 2004.
* Lung, stomach, colorectal, liver, and breast cancer cause the most cancer deaths each year.
* The most frequent types of cancer differ between men and women.
* More than 30% of cancer deaths can be prevented.
* Tobacco use is the single most important risk factor for cancer.
* Cancer arises from a change in one single cell. The change may be started by external agents and inherited genetic factors.

So Tobacco use is killing 100'000's of people a year and is still generally sociably acceptable in main-stream society. Do we see people wearing face masks when they pass a group of people smoking?.

For 2005, CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) recorded the following catergories of Deaths in the US

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

* Heart disease: 652,091
* Cancer: 559,312
* Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 143,579
* Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 130,933
* Accidents (unintentional injuries): 117,809
* Diabetes: 75,119
* Alzheimer's disease: 71,599
* Influenza/Pneumonia: 63,001
* Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 43,901
* Septicemia: 34,136

Kinda makes this Swine Flu seem pretty small eh?

There seems to be some similarities between the Spanish flu and this Swine flu. It appears to be attacking young, healty adults with strong immune systems. Also both contain the H1N1 variants.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by aero56]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I honestly don't think people are panicking ENOUGH about the situation. While right now the situation does not look so painstaking, what the real concern is the spread of the disease and how little people are worrying about it at the moment.

It has been confirmed that it is airborne and able to survive for long periods of time on inanimate objects. If the airborne virus isn't enough, think about door knobs, gas pumps, money, food products, and think about how little of time this would take to literally spread to almost all of the population.

The big problem that people don't seem to understand is that most people have an immune system that is able to combat the everyday run of the mill influenza virus. There are lots of cases where healthy people don't even have to see is a doctor and it will take care of itself. Our immune systems do not recognize this virus. There is no defense. If we come in contact with it, there is a 99.9 percent chance that we will acquire it.

Now with that put into perspective, say the virus mutates and none of our medicines are working. Say it already has mutated and they aren't telling us. There is no quarantine zones set up yet either and basically our lives are in the hands of our governments and what they decide to do.

Look at statistics here. A death rate of about 6% to 8% do far. Not so many dead yet. But slap that percentage onto 6-7 billion people? That is 520 MILLION people. Even if only a fourth of the population got it, that is 140 million people dead.

That is like half of the population of the United States, all around you, dead. But it won't be so noticeable in that respect because theoretically it would be widespread. So imagine Istanbul, Berlin, Madrid, Beijing, Los Angeles, London, Mexico City, Hong Kong, Delhi, Moscow, Mexico City, Tokyo, and New York's entire populations dropping dead, and you know the theoretical potential of a disease we are defenseless against.

Things like AIDS and heart disease, they take time. Motor vehicle accidents are sporadic and follow random criteria. This is solid. Worst case scenario, this is what happens and THIS is why people should be afraid.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
people keep comparing the swine flue to other illnesses, just what you listed, shows that, you didnt really think into it.

cancer, smoking, and aids, ok?

well cancer, you cannot catch from someone sneezing

smoking, you can breathe (and smoke) in second hand smoke for years, and not die from it

aids, you put on a good quality, non-expired condom, and its fine, also, its NOT AIRBORN!

this flu is something where, someone sneezes 20 feet in front of you, and you walk through not paying attention, and theres a very high chance, youre going to catch it, which makes you sick, and possibly die. also you can infect other people, extremely easy, sneazing on a tissue, then turning a door knob, that a little kid touches later, and you made that kid sick.

i mean come on people, stop comparring it to things that are easily preventable, its getting rediculous

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Little lesson from Kuby Immunology textbook and Collapse by Gerard Diamond with a heavy dose of my own thoughts.

The H1N1 that we are seeing may be an antigenic shift combined with the emergence of a previously unseen strain that have mutated into a virulent form.

In 1977, British researchers in Hong Kong mixed H3N2 with H1N1 to give us H3N1 virons. Now, imagine if you will H1N1 merging with H5N1 and say H3N2 then throw in a dash of H?N? and viola, something of a emerging super bug that has never been seen in modern times.

A plague.

A plague emerging from very cradle of Mayan civilization!

Oh and why worry? If this is half as bad as the 1918 flu it will kill 75 million worldwide. Of course, I'm just being an alarmist, nothing to see, go back to American Idol.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darky6K

Originally posted by raz24400
Also according to some reorts, this is not regular swine flu, but a mutated version, which contains components of avian, H1N1, and swine flu. There was debate in WHO over whether to call this 'swine flu' as it is not.

I heard it was a mutation, but I must have missed the avian and other new components. Sounds like a genetic engineered virus. Damn government.

Good god that was exactly what i was thinking when i read yahoo news a little while ago...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It is new and there is no telling if it m ay top the charts. That is why.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

It has been confirmed that it is airborne and able to survive for long periods of time on inanimate objects.

when and where was this confirmed?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freelancer
AIDS is killing ...

I'm not sleeping around and I'm not using drug needles. I'm not getting blood transfusions either. I have nearly a zero chance of getting this.

So Tobacco use is killing ....

I don't smoke.

Kinda makes this Swine Flu seem pretty small eh?

Every pandemic starts out small and spreads.
Ask again next year at this time if Swine Flu is 'small' or not.
Only then will we know the answer to that question.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
It is scary but remember to take precautions. Wash your hands after using a public bathroom. If you have someone sneezing and coughing near by leave that area. If it spreads it spreads and there's nothing you can do but be smart and stay educated about swine flu. Panicing isn't the answer. I'm going about my life as usual and I'm trying my best to stay away from public restrooms, water fountains etc... You never know what this flu can turn in to so there should be a fuss about it, there should be measures to take and things to do to protect yourself and your loved ones. Talking about it on ATS is a good way to become educated about this but don't believe everything that is typed in these threads. I wish you all well and I hope we all come out of this swine flu alive and happy.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Freelancer

Freelancer, with all due respect your math is flawed it's 54 POINT 7 people per day based on CDC statistics. Not 547. At the rate this "swine flu" it spreading I think it's going to get ugly and fast. But hey, either we paninc and make it worse, or we all calm down and die. I say ef it all and get a drink.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
this flu may have already came to my little town. About two weeks ago there were some people sick I know three of them and I felt very run down.

We are is the Okla. Panhandle one student was quarantined to his dorm room for twelve days, He wasn't tested for the swine flu. He said he was well now.

Roper

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The real reason for the swine flu uproar is to distract the general masses from the baxter / avian flu controversy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

but thats just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

THis video is about the SHOCK DOCTRINE of control and manipulation.

as my friend Kay says< "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it ...."

[edit on 27-4-2009 by ehomero]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This is why you should be afraid. In 1918, the US census website states that there were 103,208,000 people in the USA. www.census.gov...

It is estimated that 675,000 died in the United States. That means that in the United States, .654% (thats right, less than one percent of the population died). The global number is estimated to have been between 50 to 100 million deaths. thats between 2.5% and 5% of the global population.

No matter how many times the numbers get trotted out, they seem beyond comprehension. The global death toll from the 1918 flu was long pegged at 20 million, but most experts now think that grossly low. They talk of 50 million, perhaps 100 million.
John Hopkins

Simply applying those numbers to the current population of the US and the World would result in a death tolls of about 2 million Americans, and between 150 to 300 million deaths.

So if this swine/Mexican flu is as bad as the 1918 flu, millions of people will die. If this thing is worse, say hello to the end of the world as we know it.

I think thats much worse than heart disease.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Why panic !

as of right now i have every reason to panic.

true i dont live in the US , But i do have a 14 year old daughter who is being rasied by people who have lots of relitives in Mexico.

and She i s in the Modesto area in California , which really isnt all that far from two confrimed cases of Swine Flu inSacramento California.........

they say its not that bad and it can be cured in the early stages of the flu. but honestly folks i do have cause to worry here.

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2009/04/27/MN0O17A8Q5.DTL&tsp=1

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

What scares me is people thinking they have it and then going to the emergency room. If you didn't have it before you will by the time you breath in all that sickness waiting in the emergency room. You can panic but don't go overboard. Let your daughter know about the emergency rooms and to wear a mask if she has to go there. Just precaution not panic. Good luck and I hope your daughter stays well.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Alex says he thinks government of Mexico is hyping the reports on the flu to distract people from the war and corruption going on.

It's obvious the government (aka the Luciferians) are doing their best to kill us off. Dr. Deagle reported on Alex's show yesterday that the government recruits doctors and scientists to invent viruses and plagues to kill and sterilize people. Alex said the CIA tried to recruit his own father, and Deagle said they tried three times to recruit him (each time discussing with him some diabolical plot to invent a virus to kill and/or sterilize and/or miscarry people's babies. They are eugenicists, after all, the elite. They hate us and want us all dead.

They have such hubris that they have the coffins stacked up and the graves mostly all dug for us, the camps all built, the trains lined up ready to move us out.

And as Dr. Carley explains, (foremost expert on the vaccines and how the doctors and government are killing people with them), you cannot develop vaccine against a germ or virus that does not exist yet. Yet the government says they have vaccines ready to go and we should all get in line to get shots to protect us.

My advice is if and when the government succeeds in starting a bona fide plague (and we know they have been trying their best to do so for the past decade at least), do NOT let them give you any shots. Do NOT go to the emergency room. Stay HOME and eat well and take care of yourself and wait it out.

If the government people come banging on your door with their badges swinging off their shirts, do NOT let them in. Tell them to GO AWAY, that you ALREADY HAD YOUR SHOTS. Tell them you are avoiding contact with others. Get some mean dogs and let them run free. Put a sign up on your house that says QUARANTINE.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I think that before saying there is an overreaction to this pandemic, we must realize that what we're being told about this new flu is not even 10% of the truth. In my opinion, things in Mexico are far worse than we see in the media. Infected people may have easily surpassed 100.000, with a number of deaths around 5.000 (5%). If this goes global, it can kills around 2% of the world's population (130 million people approx).
And there will be more casualties due to indirect social and economic effects. All world's standard of living will be downgraded and economy will take a long time to recover.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
You are saying aids kills 3. some million, however, the swine flu, if kicked off and put into motion globally and uncontained has the potential just like the Spanish Flu to kill upwards of 20million plus people those numbers you put up come nowhere near that close in a short period, just look at the figures from 1918 and it didn't even take 2 years, now think about this, they did not have air travel like they do now and the levels of global travel, I think you need to really check the potential of this sort of outbreak and not trivialize it like you just did, if the World Health organization, Doctors and the like are not saying it is trivial what would lead you to believe it is so trivial? making comparisons like that show good fact checking acumen, however, they do not prove much more than that though a flu like this one is unpredictable and especially with lay people attempting to somehow downplay or disprove the facts that have shown it is a dead serious matter if it does break out in full effect across the globe, i really think it is just as ignorant to sensationalize as it is to trivialize and really I have not seen much sensationalizing of the matter just facts on where the flu is and where it might be going next

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join