It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That Masks are Useless. (i've been told)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Been at Pharmacy today to get a mask and they told me that actually that standard maks or surgery masks are quite useless in case of Pandemic spreading large. In that case only real gas masks would work. True?

Masks

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I have been doing a lot of research on this too. It looks like the normal masks have a very small effect in stopping a pandemic and the only masks that work well are nano masks. Look them up on google!!!

[edit on 27-4-2009 by pcgeek]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Viruses are very, very small, and one approaching the fabric of a typical face mask would fly through the fibers like a swallow through a barn door.

The only filtration standard that would be safe would be a full face respirator (covers eyes which are mucous membranes) with HEPA filtration, which would filter out 99.97% of all particulates down to .3 microns.

3M has some good ones, and the P100 Organic Gas filters are ideal for a number of related unpleasant things.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by dooper]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Look for these:

3M 8233 N100, HEPA Particulate Respirator

They cost around $7.00 a mask.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

yeah that's what i've been told also. :/

so the point is: i've seen alot of pics around and people from Mexico only got THAT masks. Which means NO protection.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
masks are A affective part of PPG..personal protective gear..
You can have a mask on all day but still handle things that are infected without gloves on..After you take your mask of you do not wash your hands and then chew on your fingernails out of habit..Good chance your infected..Total protection needs to be done as a system,resperator,gloves and eye protection..Now I'm speaking as to being exposed to something far worse than a flu,but if you know the proper steps to take,it doesnt matter if its the flu.. or antrax..

cleanliness in the real key to ward off the flu..but if the other shoe drops I have my old trusty m17 and mopp suit..

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Useless Mask List here:

www.approvedgasmasks.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

Very good points. I was just addressing the respirator filtration density.

At work, I dress in full PPE with full face mask, full coverage bunny suit, rubber boot covers over my suit feet, and gloved up.

Even though I may be protected from microbials getting in, I dare not enter a structure where anything on me is still viable and dangerous.

I would be forced to biowash myself, rinsing thoroughly, carefully disposing of my booties and suit, and cleaning my mask with a biocide. Wash hands multiple times, and I have UV lights that I can soak under for a few moments, right after spraying myself with Titanium Dioxide.

This, if there was a bio-organism such as a virus.

Clean, rinse, isolate and clean yourself in different chambers, and only then could one enter the habitation which would be under positive air pressure.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

very true about filter densitys and whatnot..I have been out of the game for a lil wile now,but reading that a pharmacy doesnt recomend using a mask or other breathing protection is assinine..Probably due to being ignorant of how viruses are spread..

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by digitalwarrior

I recall reading once . . . that studies of the atmosphere had convinced scientists that:

people breathed in some molecules of air that had been breathed by every other person that had ever lived on the face of the earth.

I have long forgotten the source.

I'm been curious ever since how many knew about that research.

I think it's highly likely to be true.

Assuming it's true . . . folks who want to pollute the atmosphere with deadly stuff are suicidal . . . probably arrogantly suicidal.

Oh, right . . . that fits the leaders of the NWO . . . what a surprise . . .NOT.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

How about one of those respirators that you use for spray painting? Would those work? They are more like $50.00.

Guz

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Go here they'll have everything you might need, with there online catalog, I've been using them for years.

BePrepared.com

Always best to be prepared than left out the cold.

good luck

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Guzzeppi

It depends on the filter system. I would recommend people getting an N100 level mask with HEPA filtration, which is rated by the CDC and WHO for use around SARS and Avian Flu.

These can come in all types. The 3M model is a fairly affordable disposable model but there are more elaborate models, that only need the filters replaced.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Being cautious is fine and good hygiene is vital, something simple as washing your hands thouroghly can save lives.
www.handhygiene.net...

A good product is alcohol rub for example. 85% gel.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

[edit on 2009/4/27 by reugen]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by digitalwarrior

The masks are useless for one the virus is small enough to get thru them. And flu spreads up to 80% by touch. Masks arent going to save anyone they are more designed to keep infection IN not OUT.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Yeah I have to agree about the only good thing they're for is to use when push mowing your lawn.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
the masks are useless..they just make silly people feel better

if you told them that wrapping themselves in duct tape would prevent catching it, well that would sell out pretty quick

in other news, medical mask supply stocks are up in

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I personally know an infectious disease physician that is well respected in the community. He gives lectures all the time, and works part of the time in a hospital. He told me even with the best mask available, the kind they use when encountering TB patients, if the mask doesn't fit properly you will end up sucking more air in from the outside than from the part of the mask that is the filter. Any crack in the fit of the mask will be an easier way for air to get in that thru the "hard" way of the filtered part. Also, you have to change these masks often, using the same one all day, or for a number of days, doesn't work, they lose their effectiveness. So, you need a box of them. Kinda scary stuff!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
the masks are useless..they just make silly people feel better

Yes I agree! N95 masks are useless and for silly people!

So I'm planning to buy one of those full masks, like the one that you have on that avatar-photo of yourself!

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
You wear it when YOU have or have been exposed to the virus, so that you don't give it to others.

[edit on 2009/4/27 by Aeons]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join