It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monday is Confederate Memorial Holiday in Alabama

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Lots of stars going out to Ant and frey. In my home state of SC Confederate Memorial day is a state holiday as well. Needless to say I support wholeheartedly the observance of this holiday and the remembrance of those who died fighting for the right to be left alone to live their lives on their own terms.

Like the Confederate monument in my hometown says,

"Though conquered, we adore it; love the cold, dead hands that bore it."

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

Star for you my friend. Victors of any war write the history. So the history of the War of Northern Aggression is written that it is all about slavery.

I noticed the OP never came back I guess his view wasn’t shared by as many as he had hoped so he decided it was best to leave.

MBF

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Another thing that most people don't know is that freed blacks owned slaves too, in fact, a higher percentage of the black population owned slaves than whites.

Black Slave Owners

By the way, my Great grandfather fought in that war and he never owned a slave.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Didnt the north continue to have slaves during the civil war? Im from Alabama and my family has a long heritage that starts in SC all the way to Mississippi. If i remember my history correct the Feds imposed tax after tax to an already stretched thin group of peeps. The slavery angle is the same as wmd in iraq crap. different circumstances i understand but some BS. Im not racist nor do I condone what my ancestors did but that was the way it was. Remember that our fore fathers owned slaves as well and no one did anything about it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join