It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monday is Confederate Memorial Holiday in Alabama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Monday is Confederate Memorial Holiday in Alabama

blog.al.com

MONTGOMERY, AL -- Many state offices are closed on Monday because it's an official state holiday for Confederate Memorial Day.

Confederate Memorial Day was actually on Sunday, but Alabama observes it on Monday. The Sons of Confederate Veterans are planning a memorial program at the State Capitol.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Not all state offices are closed because of the holiday. Alabama's two unemployment compensation call centers are staying open. State Industrial Relations Director Tom Surtees says that's because Monday is a peak day for filing unemployment claims.

Wow... we should celebrate every seditious action committed by the states of the confederacy....

I bet Texas would really like this...

I think I'm going to be sick...

blog.al.com

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

go ,alabama go, secede from USA . USA is the ultimate incarnation of evil and you oppressed and suppressed confederate enslaved nations must free themselves from fascist northern rule

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

So a group of people that stood up and told the Federal Government to stop makes you sick. One reason our nation has gone to piss. A lot of the people that are here at ATS feel that the Feds have reached to far into day to day life. A lot of people are also saying enough is enough now a days. Seems like that Confederate mind set is starting to come back.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Time For............

Woo Hooo SUCCESSION!

lol, ya this is disgusting
but then again so is columbus day and thanksgiving

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

You have the internet, please tell me what the real reason for the Civil War was. I am curious to see if you spew the brain washing.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Jesus Christ people. Its just a celebration of our heritage. Being Southern, and taking pride in who you are and where you came from has nothing to do with succession or even the ever present argument of racism. I am Southern, and I take pride in it. I take pride in those who died fighting to keep their rights (at the time they were fighting for their rights granted by our forefathers, remember that).

Its just the same as us taking heed of the new laws trying to silence Free Speach...Same story, different characters.

You morons only attach stigmas to that which you cannot relate or understand.

[edit on 4/27/2009 by frey51]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by frey51

Actually I was joking sarcastically in my post

As far as my understanding goes this day is actually anti-racism if I undertand correctly.

This day in Alabama marks the surrender of Confederate States Army to the Union General which later eventually led to slaves being free.

Am I correct?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

So only the South had slaves?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Good for Alabama...Go south for standing up against Federal control...let us all celebrate...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This day stands for the sons of the South that stood up to a tyrannical government levying unfair taxes, kind of like the Tea Party in Boston. But let's not forget that African Americans also fought under the Stars and Bars with the Southerners. It's cool if your not from the south then there is no reason for this day to concern you. We recognize the soldiers who fought for the rights given to everybody by our founding fathers.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Wow... we should celebrate every seditious action committed by the states of the confederacy....

Or perhaps we should celebrate the glorious precedent set by President Lincoln during the Civil War...

Perhaps the most hideous precedent established by Lincoln’s war, however, was the intentional targeting of defenseless civilians.* Human beings did not always engage in such barbaric acts as we have all watched in horror in recent days. Targeting civilians has been a common practice ever since World War II, but its roots lie in Lincoln’s war.*
*bold emphasis by me

www.lewrockwell.com...

African Americans' reactions to Union soldiers were even more complex. Their initial delight at the coming of the "army of emancipation" was often replaced with terror as Yankees plundered black homes and assaulted black women.
uncpress.unc.edu...

Jackson and Meridian, Mississippi, were also burned to the ground by Sherman’s troops even though there was no Confederate army there to oppose them. After the burnings his soldiers sacked the town, stealing anything of value and destroying the rest. As Sherman biographer John Marzalek writes, his soldiers "entered residences, appropriating whatever appeared to be of value . . . those articles which they could not carry they broke."

www.lewrockwell.com...

Don't get me wrong, I abhor the concept and practice of slavery but the continuing practice of MEMORIALIZING those Southerners who died in the Civil War is something that I have no problem with.

There are now(and have previously been) people of all colors in the South that have no problem whatsoever with this practice, H. K. Edgerton, is a prime example as is Holt Collier.

I find it disheartening that there are people who continually choose to reside in the position of being a federalist bootlicker.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
reply to post by frey51

Actually I was joking sarcastically in my post

As far as my understanding goes this day is actually anti-racism if I undertand correctly.

This day in Alabama marks the surrender of Confederate States Army to the Union General which later eventually led to slaves being free.

Am I correct?

No worries man, my post was more geared toward the OP, who doesnt seem to understand celebrating and honoring those souls who fought and died for what they believed in and for their freedoms. And yes, this celebration does mark the surrender of the Conferate Army to the Union.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snisha

African Americans' reactions to Union soldiers were even more complex. Their initial delight at the coming of the "army of emancipation" was often replaced with terror as Yankees plundered black homes and assaulted black women.

Yeah, the thing that most people dont understand is that not all of the Union Army were Saints. Just look at the douche's in our current US Military who take advantage of the Iraqi's, and who have been conviceted of Murder and Rape. Actually, there were many northerners who also kept slaves and probably just as many southerners who didn't. But, history tends to miss those elements and the fact that the Great Union Army had a hand in abolishing the ugly and disrespectful trade of slavery takes precident over their unsavory actions.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doom and Gloom

You have the internet, please tell me what the real reason for the Civil War was. I am curious to see if you spew the brain washing.

Since hunka hunka seems to be stumped by your question, let me answer to increase his knowledge.

The Civil War was actually fought over states rights and not slavery. The South held the viewpoint that states rights superseded the federal government - not unlike the growing movement in Texas and 20 + other states.

The revisionist PC version of history tells us that the war was over slavery. Here's another example of PC revisionist history in action. If you go to Charleston , SC and take a tour of the old parts of the city, you will visit the "slave market" and be told that they call it the slave market because slaves used to come there to shop for their masters. Right .........

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Just to add a little more about the Savior of the slaves, i mean Lincoln

Source: www.progressiveu.org...

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, not to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having that superior position assigned to the white race."

-Abraham Lincoln (Lincoln-Douglas debates, Sept 18, 1858)

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Not all state offices are closed because of the holiday. Alabama's two unemployment compensation call centers are staying open. State Industrial Relations Director Tom Surtees says that's because Monday is a peak day for filing unemployment claims.

I bet Texas would really like this...

I think I'm going to be sick...

blog.al.com

Hmmm . . . I am from Texas . . . and I really like this! Go figure!

The South tried to do the right thing, but was knocked down by the Fed.

I hope the South may live once again.

And to all the people that are going to cry racism . . . suck it. There is not a rascist bone in my body.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

We will no longer be considered racist, it will soon turn to Terrorist because we don't blindly follow the Fed. It's sad when the people who really care about the rights given to all are the bad guys. :shk: for shame for shame.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

Do you feel better now you got that off of your chest? What does this have to do with the OP. You just wanted to take a cheap shot at those of us who support this day.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join