It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"North American Influenza"- "Swine flu" name is wrong?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
"Swine flu" name is wrong -world animal health body

PARIS/BRUSSELS, April 27 (Reuters) - The virus spreading around the world should not be called "swine flu" as it contains avian and human components and no pig has so far been found ill with the disease, the world animal health body said on Monday.

It would be more logical to call the virus "North American influenza", a name based on its geographic origin like the Spanish influenza, a human flu pandemic with animal origin that killed more than 50 million people in 1918-1919.

www.alertnet.org...

Expect a name change here soon along with the WHO raising the Pandemic Alert to an unprecedented level.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I said the same on another thread..... it's just what the media are calling it.

It's a mixture of human, avian and swine i believe.

The new strain is an apparent reassortment of several strains of influenza A virus subtype H1N1, including a strain endemic in humans and two strains endemic in pigs, as well as an avian influenza. Reassortment is common in influenza viruses, due to the structure of their genome. This particular reassortment is consistent with a transmission of swine influenza from pig to human (a zoonosis) combined with the mixing of two viral infections in the same person (superinfection).[citation needed]

Source

[edit on 27/4/09 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

If there is no pig/swine in it then it should absolutely be changed. I could imagine there being a lot of ignorant scared people not eating pig products now because of some unfounded fear. Not fair to pig product companies.

I on the other hand just at 6 strips of bacon with my ham egg and cheese croissant

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The best name for this flu should be "B2A51"

Bridge To Avian Five One

I am attempting to bring awareness of where this is headed..........

The best thing about our immune system is that our systems have a good chance to fight off these engineered strains because the immune system has never seen them before.

Stock up your supplies of medicine...........

There are many post here on these threads of what you need....

This one has not been mentioned: 7-Up is also a good source for when you do not have an IV for rehydration.
Just open the 7-Up and let it go flat.............and drink the hell out of it....

But do not take the upcoming Baxter flu vaccine!!!

God Speed to all!!

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

Even if it were the case that it was present in pork, proper cooking (which you should be doing anyway) kills the virus.

From the WHO:

Is it safe to eat pork meat and pork products?

Yes. Swine influenza has not been shown to be transmissible to people through eating properly handled and prepared pork (pig meat) or other products derived from pigs. The swine influenza virus is killed by cooking temperatures of 160°F/70°C, corresponding to the general guidance for the preparation of pork and other meat.

www.who.int...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Just call it the Baxter-virus...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by noroman
Just call it the Baxter-virus...

Baxter-Bacon flu!!

That fits quite nice actually! Sounds like a nice protein balanced breakfast.

*pass the maple syrup*

Mmmmmmmm.!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

Even if it were the case that it was present in pork, proper cooking (which you should be doing anyway) kills the virus.

From the WHO:

Is it safe to eat pork meat and pork products?

Yes. Swine influenza has not been shown to be transmissible to people through eating properly handled and prepared pork (pig meat) or other products derived from pigs. The swine influenza virus is killed by cooking temperatures of 160°F/70°C, corresponding to the general guidance for the preparation of pork and other meat.

www.who.int...

Yes I know that cooking pork properly is mandatory no matter what is going on in the world. But I fear that others who may be more impressionable or non-logical might associate one with the other and stop consuming pig products, unfairly.

new topics

top topics

join