It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force One Backup Rattles New York Nerves

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Apparently the photos are CLASSIFIED now!!!

www.nypost.com...

PHANTOM AIR FARCE PICTURES

The $328,835 snapshots of an Air Force One backup plane buzzing lower Manhattan last week will not be shown to the public, the White House said yesterday.

"We have no plans to release them," an aide to President Obama told The Post, refusing to comment further.

The sole purpose of the secret photo-op, which sent thousands of New Yorkers running for cover, was to take new publicity shots of the presidential jet over the city.

"The photos . . . are classified -- that's ridiculous," Councilman Peter Vallone Jr., said.

New Yorkers said they could not understand how a president who shares intimate snapshots from the White House could justify classifying these.

"So we're not gonna see the fruits of this cruel joke?" said Frank Antonelli, 39, one of the Wall Street traders spooked by last week's flyover.

"I'm not surprised. Obama . . . wouldn't further all the bad publicity by putting out those pictures."

How much you want to bet, there are no pictures!? Why would photos that were made to be handed out as souvenirs be classified now?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The reason they are not releasing the photos is because it puts a black eye on the administration and makes us look incompetent as a country....Oh wait nevermind that never stopped them from releasing photos in the past...*cough* CIA interogation tapes *cough*

There is probably a photo showing Obama on the plane...Which means he lied about not knowing about the fly over. This guy is worse than Bush and I thought I would never say that...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

Your not the only one doubting thew validity of that claim!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by inked up

I saw this in the NY Post and it really makes me angry. The photo op story was just a cover. The reason they are not releasing the photos is because there never was any photos taken. I mean think about it, these were supposed to be photos of Air Force 1 flying by the Statue of Liberty for public viewing. Why would they be classified now?

I have been talking to people in the NYC area about this and from what I am hearing this was no photo op. This was a test of something called the Domestic Event Network.

Domestic Event Network (DEN). A 24/7 FAA sponsored telephonic conference call network that includes all of the air route traffic control centers (ARTCC) in the U.S. It also includes various other governmental agencies that monitor the DEN. The purpose of the DEN is to provide timely notification to the appropriate authority that there is an emerging air-related problem or incident within the CONUS. The DEN is managed and facilitated by ATSCs under the direction of Tactical Operations Security.

www.faa.gov...

They they kept it from the public even though they knew it might cause panic. I guess that makes the test more realistic.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Do you have a source for the DEN test? I am having trouble linking the flyover with a DEN test....

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by habu71

Sorry I have no offical source. It is just what I heard from people that work in the area that might know what was going on. I can't say who they are.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
According to the MSM, the White House isn't even going to release the pictures.

www.nypost.com...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

(There is no such "plane" as a Air Force 1, or a backup Air Force 1. Air Force 1 is the call sign used for ANY aircraft while the POTUS is on board. Air Force 2 is the Vice Presidential call sign. I am sure the Air Force maintains at least two of these aircraft and probably more, so it could be a back up aircraft, but the nomeclature is wrong. That plane had it's own call sign (given earlier in this thread), and it should never have been referred to as AF1, backup or otherwise. )-->Sorry Habu, didn't see you already covered this.

Again this is mis-direction by TPTB and MSM, if it is AF1, it must be ok, but that is not the case. From the reports I have read, the plane violated several aviation rules, but if it was operating in a military capacity, the rules don't apply. Now they are refusing to release the photos, and refusing to classify them "Secret." They have been skirting the rules and playing fast and loose since the moment that plane was spotted. Someone knows the real deal here, and IMO it will eventually get out.

[edit on 5-5-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I think it was the fact that the plane sported the AF1 paint job. But it's interesting that all the news items referred to it as AF1 backup. It was emphasized.

I've been searching for something on Domestic Event Network in regard to this particular event. nothing. plenty of references to the network itself, and its function, but not in this regard. It seems that it would be an excellent excuse if it were true. why would they hide that? though there would have been no need to use the fully decorated AF1 for a drill. any plane would do.

i still don't buy the photo op though. it's just the only reason that justifies using that particular plane and disregarding laws about flying low. except that there was no legitimate military purpose for breaking the law. can they be charged with anything?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Apparently SAM 29000 (if it was the backup) was using the call sign VENUS01.....Normally, SAM aircraft transporting VIP's (excluding Pres and VP) use SAM followed by their tail number. The 89th Airlift wing (SAM) uses the VENUS call sign.

forgot to post this, it's a good explanation...and correct...

One note about callsigns. I think it's safe to say that this definitely wasn't some kind of super-secret passenger-carrying flight, where the truth is being obscured so as to prevent a politician from being embarassed.

When the VC-25 is carrying the President, its callsign—as we all know—is Air Force One. When they are carrying VIPs (Cabinet officers, senators and the like) their callsigns are SAM [for Special Air Mission] 28000 and SAM 29000, depending on the tail code of the aircraft being flown. When they are carrying relatives of VIPs, the callsign will be Executive [tail code]. And finally, when they are just doing the day-to-day proficiency and currency flights, the front-office callsign will be Venus 1 (for aircraft 28000) and Venus 2 (for aircraft 29000).

Venus, incidentally, is the "house" callsign for 89th Airlift Wing. Plenty of other aircraft types also use that callsign: the C-20s use Venus 2x, the C-37As use Venus 4x, the (now retired) C-9A used Venus 8x, and the C-32As use Venus 9x.

Finally, because the VC-25's gross take-off weight is over 255,000 lbs, they will have the "Heavy" suffix appended to the callsigns. And because the front office that day was using "Venus 1" (as opposed to "SAM 28000"), we can assume there were no VIPs or relatives of VIPs aboard.

[edit on 5-5-2009 by habu71]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Here's the audio between VENUS 01 and NY Approach (TRACON)

NY TRACON Audio

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by habu71

it's amazing how helpful a bit of translation work can be! so basically this was the president's plane without the president or anybody un-military doing standard proficiency/currency flight. is this automatically classified just because of the gear on that plane? the paint job?

we now know it was not a joyride but without the actual details of the mission, we don't know why goldman sachs building was circled. that was an observation from people who worked in the building. it's weird that they refuse to release the photos taken.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I don't buy the proficiency flight excuse......Proficiency flights are emergency procedures, instrument proficiency, etc......Something still smells with this.........

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I know that michelle malkin filed a FOI request for more information on the mission, right after it happened. I just heard that Fox News has filed an FOI request for the pictures taken on that flight. There are a bunch of articles out today (most say the same thing) that people are very unhappy that these pictures won't be released, that how can you say they are secret when they were supposed to be for publicity and the whole point of the op. It is thought that there will be many FOI filings for the pix and that the white house will be hard pressed to come up with legitimate excuse for refusing to honor these requests.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by habu71

Great find, habu!!! Star!!!

I recommend that everyone pay attention to habu, this member knows what they are talking about!!

(my typing skills seem to be lacking, in terms of relaying these concepts...but, when I see truth, I can recognize it!!!).

That utube linky is a goody!!! It would help non-aviation ATS members if they can get familiar with ATC communications.

It is obvious that there was no 'evil' intent here. It was to take photos. It was not a training mission, nor anything that has been suggested OTHER than a fun time for the pilots of SAM29000....and I'll wager they thought that everything was taken care of before hand.

It WAS a PR disaster, because of mis-handling by idiot officials who, it seems, thought that it was 'safer' to keep it "secret". I guess their copncern was that advance knowledge of the flyover would somehow jeopardize the airplane. Like, someone could smuggle a ground-to-air missile into the area just-in-time to take out the jet?!?!?

Paranoia, at its finest!!!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Thank you, Weedwhacker.....Although something is still wrong here, I did want to educate our fellow ATS'rs, so as things get more and more interesting, more folks will seek the truth, not simply a wanton need for conspiracy. NOTE TO ALL: I am not saying there are no conspiracies, let's just focus on the important ones...

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Well my thinking is that it was for some kind of test of an early warning system to PREVENT another 911. I mean please people, they are not that stupid.

But it does shock me that they think we all are falling for this bogus photo op story.

And now Obaba wont release the photos...yeah right.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I don't think there are any photos - it was a complete "scare the people" event!

Even the Press Secretary says "they don't know where the photos are"

WTF? you don't know where the photos are?

So, by not releasing any photos (which I don't think - any were taken now) they are causing a lot more conversation about it.

CNN - just ran a story on how they are not releasing the photos and don't even know where any of them are. (I don't normally watch MSM - just for minutes in the morning - to see what spin and news they are focusing on for the day)

To me - no photos says: it was the U.S. govts own little "terror attack" on N.Y!

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

and the funny thing is that having called it a photo op but not releasing the photos is generating many times the talk generated by the original episode. I've got a google alert running on this and I'm getting many times the stories, and every one is very unhappy. especially interesting to me is that the financial area who seemed to have been singled out on this flight are very outspoken, unhappy by this turn of events when most of them voted for obama. there's a sense of betrayal. many people who were willing to buy the original dumb mistake story aren't buying it this time.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Am I imagining thing or didn't the press releases about the flyover describe the VC25 as the "backup" for AF1?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join