It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban deride 'worthless' truce with Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Taliban deride 'worthless' truce with Pakistan

www.google.com

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Taliban militants declared their peace deal with the Pakistani government "worthless" on Monday after authorities deployed helicopters and artillery against hide-outs of Islamist guerrillas seeking to extend their grip along the Afghan border.

The regions that straddle that frontier form a "crucible of terrorism," British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said during a visit to Afghanistan, where his country and the U.S. have thousands of troops. In Pakistan later Monday, Brown said Britain wanted to work more closely with Islamabad to eliminate the terror threat.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pakistan bid to stop Taleban push
Nuclear fears prompt Pakistan to prepare attack on Taleban
Pakistan urges Taliban to lay down arms

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well Here we go again. Now If this isn't proof that if you give them an inch they'll take a mile I dont know what is. Pakistan is now asking for assistance to prevent it's nuclear weapons from falling into the hands of the Taliban. So I guess the fears that Pakistan is crumbling are proving real. I have been saying this now for some time. I have provided some links to some earlier stories I have posted to get those of you up to speed who may have missed this developing story. Stay tuned the article goes on to talk about Al-Quida and OBL.

President Asif Ali Zardari called for more foreign support for cash-strapped Pakistan to prevent any danger of its nuclear arsenal falling into the hands of al-Qaida and its allies.

Zardari also said Pakistani intelligence thought Osama bin Laden — recently offered sanctuary by militants in the area covered by the peace pact — might be dead, but said there was no evidence of the al-Qaida chief's demise.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Clever... pretend that your nukes are in danger to get foreign cash, then use that money for weapons against India rather than the Taliban.

An old Pakistani trick, but I bet Hilary and Miliband get suckered into it yet again.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Did you notice how Brown got snubbed?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yeah haha. You would think that they would be more friendly to the UK after Miliband basically supported the Pakistani stance on Kashmir being the cause of terrorism (the bastard said that the Mumbai attacks occurred because of Kashmir... almost as a justification!).

Zardari does make me laugh though! eg:

"He may be dead. But that's been said before," Zardari told a group of reporters. "It's still between fiction and fact."

I mean why even bother saying something like that... it's almost like he's playing Schrodinger's cat with Osama

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Does this sound like the President of Pakistan is saying that the SWAT area doesn't belong to the Taliban?

Zardari said the government possessed the will to fight the militancy, but there were some areas where the capability needed to be strengthened and in this connection the international community could play a significant role.
Referring to the Swat peace deal, the president said it was signed by the Frontier government with the local religious leaders in Swat and thus needed to be placed in correct perspective before the international community.

www.thepakistaninewspaper.com...

And what capabilities needed to be strengthened is he talking about? Maybe allowing the US military in his country in a limited role

top topics

join