It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Su-35 fighter jet prototype destroyed during testing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Russian Su-35 fighter jet prototype destroyed during testing

KHABAROVSK, April 27 (RIA Novosti) - A prototype of the advanced Su-35 Flanker multi-role fighter plane burst into flames during take-off procedures at a testing ground in Russia's Far East, a spokesman for the Komsomolsk-on-Amur aircraft plant said on Monday.

"The accident occurred at 09.55 Moscow time [05.55 GMT] on Sunday at the Dzemgi airfield during the Su-35 prototype's take-off," Vitaly Tyulkin said, adding that the pilot ejected safely.

"We will announce the details of the accident later in the day," he said.

Sources earlier said the accident could have been caused by a faulty fuel pump.

The aircraft was one of the three prototypes to test the new fighter, which has been billed as "4++ generation using fifth-generation technology."

en.rian.ru...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
At least the pilot ejected safely!

I wonder what went happened exactly, will be following this to see more

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Su-35 programme representatives told THE WEEKLY STANDARD that the crash was the fault of one of the NPO Saturn 117S engine’s PMC units and not a failure of a fuel pump, as had been previously reported. “One of the engine’s control systems failed and the engine was working at only 93 per cent power,” said the representative.

One of the many costly on-board systems lost in this explosion was only the second flying, operationa model of the NIIP Irbis-E radar set, the most advanced to date for any Sukhoi fighter aircraft

Source

That's not good for NPO Saturn. I was hoping to see some real progress in Russian engines, but this suggests issues in the process. Which is also a shame, because the company has been working on other sets of the engine for other BM prototypes. Hopefully the issue doesn't affect the other engines, and it would be a tragedy if the engines for the SSJ-100 use faulty PMC units and burst into flame.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
If the engine was working at 93% power, why did the pilot not simply shut it down?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
` i was hoping to see some real progress in russian engines`

a bit like the terrible and aweful F-22 which crashed in testing huh , lets see some progress with USA equipment , oh wait F-15`s and F-16`s are falling from the sky alot -

sadly when things go wrong its usually on the prototype - and usually not on line production aircraft.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Chomping at the chain, are we?
Try to not choke on your own nationalist vitriol.

Originally posted by Harlequin
a bit like the terrible and aweful F-22 which crashed in testing huh , lets see some progress with USA equipment , oh wait F-15`s and F-16`s are falling from the sky alot -

You mean F-22's which have been flying safely for a good long while?
Engine development =/= Fully-functional and in-production aircraft crashing during testing.

I won't even bother pointing out how badly his statement differs from your comparison of aircraft flying longer than you've likely been alive, failing. And not at a particularly surprising rate given the last half-decade of sorties.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I would suggest that you not try to conceal your feelings or hold things back.

Russian engines are fine. US engines are fine.

It's painfully obvious that this is not your area of expertise.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

On the 26th of April at “Dzyemgi” airfield in Komsomolsk-on-Amur the accident occurred with the third flying prototype of the Su-35 fighter while taxiing and rapid running due to the aircraft coming out of the runway.

Source

One thing I didn't know was that this recent loss was actually the third flying prototype of the Su-35BM. This, to me, suggests that the issue that caused the loss is likely isolated to a specific faulty unit rather than a persistent issue in the whole line of Saturn engines since the ones already made have yet to explode into flames.

Still no news on either Sukhoi or NPO Saturn's Russian web pages (the English ones are updated maybe once every four months) about the crash.

Edit: After a bit of digging, it turns out that the loss was the fourth prototype, the third being used only in static tests.

[edit on 4/28/2009 by Darkpr0]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Iblis

don`t let you lack of education show too much shall we.

its amazingly obvious that you fail to grasp the concept of sarcasm, as the very last line of my post shows the rest was pure and total sarcasm ;

sadly when things go wrong its usually on the prototype - and usually not on line production aircraft

The F-22 IS a fine aircraft , and whilst im not too happy with the F-35 and the entire ` with or without engine` pricing structure , the raptor is a known yet at times expensive to repair aircraft.

only 2 have ever crashed - the first was the prototype which had a control systems failure on take off , and the second was the result of an uneven load out during testing of that configuration and `A2A` type maneuvers (basically my read of the released info so far on flight and awst)

and as for anything else- there is a large thread about the in service crash rate of the F-16 on here , so please take a read some time.

[edit on 29/4/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It is very sad that a 35BM prototype has crashed but i am sure glad that the pilot was able to eject safe. (K-36, Thanks for providing this excelent capabillity.)

I hope that this prototype is getting replaced by another and that Sukhoi can learn from the crash.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
damn that must be a big step back for the russian aerospace industry.One thing i have learnt about the russians is they can make a fighter that can outmanouver and fly just as good as any plane in the world on a shoe string budget,lets just hope any other prototypes laying around will be thouroghly examined to prevent loss of live and loss of jet fighter

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by notorious_021

why is it a step back? the raptor prototype crashed , teh gripen crashed , there has been a few typhoon crashes , and yet the US , Swedish nor european industries have been `set back` - no they have figured out what went wrong , fixed it , and moved on.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

its a step back because well lets face it most of russia's weapons are old and unreliable and with there current defence budget it would be a bit difficult for them to keep building prototypes and such and also russia sells whatever it builds so it has to look good to potential buyers aswell

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by notorious_021

Im not sure how an aircraft suffering damage or being destroyed during flight test is a step backwards? Thats why its called TEST

It does not indicate a fundemental flaw in the airframe that would result in a scrapping of the whole concept.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Would t be prudent to note here that an IAF Su-30 MKI crashed last week (first Su-30 crash in the IAF fleet) killing one of the pilot?
The fleet has been grounded since then since the root cause of the accident has not been determined.

www.ndtv.com...
www.indianexpress.com...
www.indianexpress.com...

new topics

top topics

join