It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police taser driver of moving vehicle driven by 'crook'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Police taser driver of moving vehicle driven by 'crook'

au.news.yahoo.com

Footage has emerged of police officers apparently firing a stun gun at a driver who they thought was a local crook.

The vehicle crashed into a building following the police action.

Investigations are reportedly underway into the pursuit in Geraldton, north of Perth.

Officers say they spotted the car about 12.30am, and believed the male juvenile behind the wheel had committed a range of offences in the town.

The taser was fired as police pulled alongside the vehicle, thought to be travelling at about 15km/h.

Inspector George Macintosh said police will be holding an internal inqui
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
This is getting ridiculous!! Aussie Police have fired a taser at the driver of a MOVING VEHICLE causing him to crash into a building. What the hell were the police thinking? It was found out later apparently that they had tasered the wrong person too!

Seriously, if this isn't enough for people to question the use of tasers by overly-testosterone-filled police then I don't know what will. While the damage in the video provided looks not that bad, it could have been much worse and a pedestrian or another driver could have been killed. This is insanely irresposible on the part of the police and definately one to add to the the case against use of tasers by authorities.

There is a video in the link above, I would suggest watching it as seeing it is believing it.

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

They didn't arrest the wrong person, they were after this kid for several robberies that night.

It seems a bit excessive to taser him whilst driving, even if it was 15km/h, but in the end it stopped him pretty quick.

It did appear he wasn't planning on stopping, he already hit two cars during the chase and he had a flat tyre as well.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Fair enough, the way the article I linked is written it gives the impression of them arresting the wrong person.

But as to the tasering, even a vehicle driven at 15 km/h can cause damage or death - and what would have happened if the driver, when he was tasered, had involuntarily flattened the accelerator to the floor?

Bloody disgraceful conduct by the police if you ask me.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Do we have the PIT Maneuver over here or do I watch too much COPS?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

Ive never heard of, nor seen an Aussie cop using the PIT Maneuver. When done on a road free of other traffic, I guess it is relatively effective but still dangerous. When done on a road with other traffic on it I believe it is just plain stupid.

This incident with the taser though tops them all off in the "completely stupid, idiotic and irresponsible" category.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Ive never heard of, nor seen an Aussie cop using the PIT Maneuver. When done on a road free of other traffic, I guess it is relatively effective but still dangerous. When done on a road with other traffic on it I believe it is just plain stupid.

When reading this I was going to say but surely less dangerous than tasering a driver.

This incident with the taser though tops them all off in the "completely stupid, idiotic and irresponsible" category.

But you said it for me.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I know that in NY the NYPD can't shoot or taze a driver in motion, because that car could cause alot of damage afterwards.

It's not illegal, but the NYPD's manual that each cop gets states not to do this. But there's no law as such behind it.

15KM/H is not much, but it's a car not a bicycle, it can still cause damage

I'd assume that it's common sense for even aussies to have this manual as well.

Remember that Sean Bell case in NY?
same thing happened but with 51 shots

[edit on 27-4-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

What do you suggest they do then to stop someone who they are in pursuit of?

Granted tasering was a strange way of stopping him. But it sounds like you think anything the cops had done would have been to dangerous unless the roads were completely clear.

After he had hit two other cars (on his own) and had a flat tire, what would you have done?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Here's a bit from another article on what this 17 year old was arrested for and the "chase".

Probe as police Taser driver of moving car in Geraldton

Police say a 17-year-old Port Hedland youth led them on a wild chase, crashing into other vehicles and buildings before heading towards the busy Vibe Nightclub in Geraldton at 12.30am.

The car was travelling at 20km/h when police pulled up next to the driver, firing their stungun through the window, officers said.
******SKIP******
Police spokesman Sgt Graham Clifford said the teenager had allegedly stolen a forklift earlier in the night to try and break into a liquor warehouse.

He then allegedly stole another car, which was driven the wrong way around a roundabout, crashing into police and civilian cars.

“At that time the back tyres were shredded, so sparks were flying off the back of the vehicle. The vehicle struck then struck the Lemongrass Thai restaurant before heading towards a busy nightclub
,” Sgt Clifford said.

“It was then that officers drew level with the vehicle and deployed the Taser,” he said.
******SKIP******
The youth has been charged with stealing a motor vehicle, burglary with intent, reckless driving, no drivers licence, failing to stop, and alcohol level in excess of 0.08.

Apparently the cops were at their wits end on how to stop this guy when he started heading towards a "busy nightclub" when they decided to tase him.

Still, tasing a driver in a moving vehicle sure doesn't seem like a very "bright" thing to do.

[edit on 4/27/2009 by Keyhole]

new topics

top topics

join