It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is swine flu 'the big one'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

ATLANTA – As reports of a unique form of swine flu erupt around the world, the inevitable question arises: Is this the big one?

Is this the next big global flu epidemic that public health experts have long anticipated and worried about? Is this the novel virus that will kill millions around the world, as pandemics did in 1918, 1957 and 1968?

"What makes this so difficult is we may be somewhere between an important but yet still uneventful public health occurrence here — with something that could literally die out over the next couple of weeks and never show up again — or this could be the opening act of a full-fledged influenza pandemic," said Michael Osterholm, a prominent expert on global flu outbreaks with the University of Minnesota.
SOURCE

Could this virus be the next plague?
Many people, here on this site, believe population control is something soon to come, so why not now? why not in this way?

While I believe its too soon to tell, and that it's unlikely, it would do us good to be prepared by watching for signs.

What unnerves me is that we are already seeing headlines like this in our news. Are they trying to cause a panic?

A few months back there was a thread on ATS on how flu vaccines were actually known to carry the avian flu and how only those people who received the vaccine got sick. SOURCE
This, to me, is something to look out for. Who are the people getting sick? Have they received these shots?

While I don't believe this is the next big killer, it certainly is in the scope of possibilities. Why this is already making headline, I don't know, but we can do ourselves a favor and be prepared just in case.
All I know is that I will not volunteer to receive any flu vaccine they are handing out.

Read more here:
news.yahoo.com... _check

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Odessy]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I don' t think so, at least not yet. It has a 10% mortality rate in the impoverished areas of Mexico and seems to be pretty mild everywhere else. Unless it mutates into something worse, I don't see this as the "big one".

It is interesting to watch though. We'll see what happens.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Yeah, I agree with you.
It's news articles like this, that suggest that this could be the big one, that crawls under my skin.
It seems people will write anything to make a buck, and this is one way to get someone's attention.

Still, I would like to know if the people who have been diagnosed in the US were given a vaccine.
They say it is a different strand than the one in Mexico, and I wonder if that could have been been deliberately engineered.

Again, its something that sparked my interest after reading that article on the avian flu and how that was administered to the public.
It's actually really sick that these thoughts even pop into our minds, but thats the world we live in today I suppose.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
at first I sort of panicked,and started thinkin "population reduction is on" . but Im probably being worried for nothing,it'll probably settle down in a few days, its either will or wont.
we'll just have to wait and see

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I have a hard time believing that this particular mix of the flu in Mexico arose naturally. It has an Asian avian component and an European swine component and a human component ... I simply can't imagine that arising on its own. I imagine some will call it an "act of God" or "the work of the devil" ... but I think it is probably the devils in the world elite who want to play God with all our lives.

If this is not the big one, it reads like a limited release of a milder strain so as to judge containment responsiveness as well as judging the level of panic and hysteria that goes along with the news reports that have a bit in common with Orson Welles and the War of the Worlds...

Wherever you live, be wise and purchase at least an N95 face mask for yourself and those you love. I'm in Texas right now visiting one of my grandchildren and we went to the pharmacy/chemist to buy N95 face masks and found they only had two boxes left. We went to another drugstore (Walgreen's) and found they were sold out of the N95 masks. So if you are not already prepared, this is a good time to get the masks whether this is the big one or not.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
No.

But it might be "The Pig One".

Sorry, couldn't resist!

It may be the big one, maybe not, but we know that just like earthquakes, it's only a matter of time before the big one hits.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by harrytuttle]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Once the virus spreads to other poor regions, remote parts of Asia and Africa then the mortality rate will rapidly increase.

The two potential UK cases - their condition has not improved, like those in America.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
You guys are missing the big picture. Its not this virus thats going to kill you. Its what it combines into thats going to kill a lot of people. It will eventually adapt the lethality of the h5n1 strain and then youre going to see a 90% mortality rate. How does this work? Well Id say a nice little poke with the live h5n1 strain like baxter sent out would give a high enough probability if it was distributed to enough people. So a difference of 10% to 90%? Yeah you have every right to be worried, h1n1 isnt the big one, its the delivery method. In biowarfare or chemwarfare the hardest part is the delivery system. Always has been always will be. Once everyone has this virus they wont bother restricting travel and they will vaccinate some. If this is their plan you wont even see it coming, people will just start dropping dead. H1n1 can infect animals, it can be spread by humans, it can go human to animal animal to human. Do you not see how this can be the perfect storm? Consider these the good times my friends.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

A 90% mortality rate would see the disease wipe itself out. A 10% rate is far, fare more dangerous.

I know it's counterintuitive... but think about it twice. If a disease kills all the hosts its in, it cannot then spread around. That's why you'll never hear of an ebola outbreak.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

That is a great point. It is counter intuitive but it makes sense. Your post made me look up the mortality rate of the Spanish Flu.

virus.stanford.edu...

The influenza virus had a profound virulence, with a mortality rate at 2.5% compared to the previous influenza epidemics, which were less than 0.1%.

So, it makes me wonder what the real mortality rate of this swine flu is. If it is really 10%, then we could be in a lot of trouble.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
AFAIK nobody in the US has died from this and virtually all cases have been mild with even few hospitalizations.

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe the only reason it was much worse in Mexico then here is because Mexico is a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY with a third world healthcare system? Do you really think the people in some slum of Mexico City are going to be as healthy as the average American?

And the other thing is why do all these people have to go to Mexico and pick up these things? They are in the middle of a freaking civil war and now this virus. If you must see what Mexico is like then just go to Washington Heights or Spanish Harlem.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by ChrisF231]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

The world is a lot larger than the US. There are plenty of people who live in 3rd world conditions throughout the world. If this spreads through other third world countries, it could wipe out a lot of people. While it probably won't be as catastrophic for countries like the US, it could be catastrophic for countries with little to no health care.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Whether it becomes a pandemic or not, i think like some here there are those who are looking for to cause panic, and make people sh1t themslves.

If it was that bad, why not quantine north america. I doubt it is, but why not, do what would be sensible.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

A 90% mortality rate would see the disease wipe itself out. A 10% rate is far, fare more dangerous.

I know it's counterintuitive... but think about it twice. If a disease kills all the hosts its in, it cannot then spread around. That's why you'll never hear of an ebola outbreak.

You become immune to the flu strain after youve had it so I cannot agree with you. The difference is the incubation period. If ebola was airborne and didnt kill you so fast it could be a pandemic. Just like if this flu had a shorter incubation period it would burn itself out. But with a long incubation period it doesnt really matter if its 90% fatal. You arent going to get the same strain twice anyhow unless it mutates.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Once contingency measures come into place, it will be stopped in its tracks.

The fatality aspect is more important from a carrier PoV. If a person gets over the illness, they are still a carrier for it under most circumstances, and can still pass it on.

Ebola burns itself out because if its fatality rate, not its short incubation period.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
No.

But it might be "The Pig One".

[edit on 27-4-2009 by harrytuttle]

Wow in the meme based pun universe(punniverse?), you just hit a home run !

If this is The Pig One and the PSHTF I for one will welcome it with a glass of swine,...I sausage that we just relax an bacon the sun.

This is not just spam,The flu has many elements of human and animal variants
so its more of a scrapple

please forgive me

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Personally i'll start thinking it's the big one when other people all over the world start dropping like flies.

NWRHINO.....Your post made me LOL

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
This engineered swine/avian/human hybrid flu could be a practice run for when the NWO releases 'the big one'. Or it could be a military weapon that our enemies let go on our boarder knowing that the illegals would bring it in the USA and disperse it everywhere .... Either one of those thoughts makes sense to me.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWRHINO
If this is The Pig One and the PSHTF I for one will welcome it with a glass of swine,...I sausage that we just relax an bacon the sun.

This is not just spam,The flu has many elements of human and animal variants
so its more of a scrapple

You had me squealing with laughter. More please. I'm a pig like that.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Panic not everyone...

I have a cure - I've developed an "oinkment"...

I'll get my coat then?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join