It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your state owe you money? They owe me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
As you may or may not be aware of, if you are owed money by a business and they can not find you, often they send that money to the state. That money goes into a pool of unclaimed property. Each state has a website that allows you to search the states database and see if any of that money belongs to you.

If any amount of the pool of unclaimed property belongs to you, you can claim it online and they will mail you a form to fill out so they can send you your money. Some people have large amounts coming some have none.

I am from Texas. I searched myself and apparently I am owed $56.56 It isn’t much but It is a nice amount of pocket change. I filed a claim and according the website it will be processed and sent to me in 90 days (that’s bureaucracy for you).

Of course you do not have to look, but I am sure we can all agree that with as tough as times are, any little bit is nice to have. If you do want to check out your states website and see if you are owed any money, Just click the link below.

All you have to do is click on your state and it takes you to your states unclaimed property search website. If you are owed money the site will instruct you on how to claim it. (there is also a link for British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec)

I want to explain that this thread was inspired by an NBC special that was on tonight about people who had large amounts of money coming to them via their states unclaimed property. I figured that although chances are no one will have a million bucks owed to them, every little bit can help especially now days.

All that said, here is the website:

www.unclaimed.org...

I wish you all luck and hope that you all have money coming your way!

[edit on 27-4-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Oh man, I was hoping but the state doesn't owe me a dime. Maybe I'll go check my mothers maiden name.

That was fun. I hope other members have more fun than I did.

wupy

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Oh man, I was hoping but the state doesn't owe me a dime. Maybe I'll go check my mothers maiden name.

That was fun. I hope other members have more fun than I did.

wupy

Ha, yeah it is fun. I looked and both of my grandfathers are owed money. Each about $30.00. Not much but every little bit helps these days huh?

One of them is dead now though, I wonder what happens to the money, does the next of kin have the right to it? Obviously the state hasnt claimed it for them selves yet...

I will have to call my mom and tell her as well as my one living grandfather.

I hope a few of you do have money owed to you, as I said, every little bit helps.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I just forgot to mention that for a while your states website might be very slow. As I said this thread was inspired by an NBC special that ended not too long ago and they ended it by encouragin everyone in the country to check and see if they are owed.

So if you can't get on your states website, be patient and try again in a little while!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

it's all imaginary money... and in any event...it could be used to pay off the $56k+ each citizen owes to the glorious national debt...

*some figures may be outdated

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

it's all imaginary money... and in any event...it could be used to pay off the $56k+ each citizen owes to the glorious national debt...

*some figures may be outdated

It is NOT imaginary money I can assure you of that from my own personal experience. About two years ago my back sent my money to the state due to lack of activity.

I went to the unclaimed property site filed my claimd and I DID get my money.

I assure you the money is VERY REAL.

I know other people as well who have had money end up in the pool and they to got the money they were owed.

Also, as I said in the OP, this thread was inspired by an NBC special that was on tonight where people with large amounts of money owed to them had that actual money hand delivered to them.

The money is far from imaginary my friend but thank you for posting.

The money enters the pool in scenarios like I have explained above. For example when a bank account becomes dorment, that money does not belong to the bank so they send it to the state where it hangs untill it is claimed.

The money that I am set to recieve this time comes from my former employer. Apparently after I moved the realized that they owed me a bit of money but they could not find me so it went to the state where it hung untill I found it tonight.

The money in that pool does not belong to the state and they can not sped it. That $56.56 is mine and if they spend it then they stole it.

Once the money is sent to the state the owner retains the right to claim it and that right is NEVER lost.

click here for more info on thatand FAQ's on the subject, this will set you straight.www.nh.gov...

The money is real and is there waiting for its rightful owner to claim it!

When the money comes (last timefor me it took 90 days to process and a few more weeks to recieve the money) I will be more than happy to post a picture of the check I recieve, of course I will black out my personal info.

peace and love.

By the way, have you searched to see if you are owed money? If anyone reading this is under 18 keep in mind the money has to be claimed by a parent or legal guardian.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

it's all imaginary money...

It's not imaginary when I have it in my hand and I'm buying something I really want, Like that Bluetooth wireless mic I want for my Camcorder.

Money only becomes imaginary when it stops getting me the things I want. When it stops doing that, I'll become cynical about it as well.

.\/.. Peace my friend,

wupy

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I found $40-50 for my grandfather but no cash for me

And a side note about the money. the state will only keep it for so long and if it is not claimed after a set amount of time then the state seizes it and puts it in the states general fund for their use.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007
I found $40-50 for my grandfather but no cash for me

And a side note about the money. the state will only keep it for so long and if it is not claimed after a set amount of time then the state seizes it and puts it in the states general fund for their use.

I am sorry that you did not find any cash for yourself.

As for how long the state will hold your cash, I though what you posted here as well, but I looked it up and as it says in the link I provided in my last post, once the money is transferred to the state it is your right to claim it and you NEVER lose that right.

Just click the link in my last post for further details. Like I said, I too assumed there would be a deadline but apparently not.

Thanks for posting, by the way.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The friggin Dept of Education owes me income tax back from last year!! I did my taxes last year and when I went to pick up my check almost 1000 bucks was gone. They handed me a letter stating the DoE took it for payment that they said I owed from 2003. Now I had an accident in 03 which caused me to withdrawl my classes since I had no vehicle and commuted an hour to and from school. I filed all the proper paper work with the DoE and my school so I wouldnt have to have a repayment on my financial aide and to the school. ALL of my stuff was approved. I have the paper work to prove it. Since I traveled to school and was in a bad accident they withdrew my classes and it was fine. Well 5 years later they take "their" money back! I was furious! I was told if I showed the paper work they would give it back..What a crock of
.... I have sent them everything, the entire file showing it was approved and have I got my money back? NO! They made a mistake and I had suffer for it. They took my hard earned money and I want it back. I even spoke to one of the higher ups at the DOE and she said quite a few people were calling in with the same type of problem. So did they do it on purpose or what? She told me it was not normal and I even sent her my paper work and she even said there is no reason for them to have taken my money but again have I seen it?! NO! I want my 978 bucks back! So yeah the govt owes me money they STOLE from me for no darn reason!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
The friggin Dept of Education owes me income tax back from last year!! I did my taxes last year and when I went to pick up my check almost 1000 bucks was gone. They handed me a letter stating the DoE took it for payment that they said I owed from 2003. Now I had an accident in 03 which caused me to withdrawl my classes since I had no vehicle and commuted an hour to and from school. I filed all the proper paper work with the DoE and my school so I wouldnt have to have a repayment on my financial aide and to the school. ALL of my stuff was approved. I have the paper work to prove it. Since I traveled to school and was in a bad accident they withdrew my classes and it was fine. Well 5 years later they take "their" money back! I was furious! I was told if I showed the paper work they would give it back..What a crock of
.... I have sent them everything, the entire file showing it was approved and have I got my money back? NO! They made a mistake and I had suffer for it. They took my hard earned money and I want it back. I even spoke to one of the higher ups at the DOE and she said quite a few people were calling in with the same type of problem. So did they do it on purpose or what? She told me it was not normal and I even sent her my paper work and she even said there is no reason for them to have taken my money but again have I seen it?! NO! I want my 978 bucks back! So yeah the govt owes me money they STOLE from me for no darn reason!

Wow that sounds incredibly frustrating and infuriating! That is one of those things where it would cost more to sue than the amount youare suing for. Crazy crazy.

So, did you do a search of your states site to see if any money is coming your way? I saw on one of the states websites where it said that 1 in 5( may have been 7) people have money in the state unclaimed property and dont even know it.

I guess I was one of those people!

Thanks for posting

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Thanks for the info. My Dad died in 1972 and he has a bunch of stock I just found out about from this info from Metife insurance. My mother can realy use it now too! Didn't know anything about this issue till I read it here!
Zindo

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Oh very good for you and your Mother!

It seems that alot of people actually don't know about the unclaimed property pool that each state has, and often the ones who do, don't know that they are owed any money. Of course not everybody has money due to them.

I knew about it because I had money in the pool before, but I was surprised to see I had some in there again!

I'm happy for you!

top topics

join