It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MPAA to start watermarking all videos/having all DVD Purchasers IDed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
newzpage.googlepages.com...

Not only will this technology help us figure out where movies are being pirated the most - we will also be able to track down the exact person who bought the DVD/Blueray disc that was illegally copied. This is possible because movie-resellers will be required to check ID on people buying movies, and enter this into a database with the unique watermark of the movie(s).

I don't see blatant piracy as a necessarily good thing, but this is well beyond what is needed, and well into rights infringement, in my opinion.

Edit: Fixed Link

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Vilkata]

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Vilkata]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vilkata

I don't see blatant piracy as a necessarily good thing, but this is well beyond what is needed, and well into rights infringement, in my opinion.

How is it well beyond what is needed?

What is needed (for them) is a way to stop piracy, and that way currently doesn't exist.

This seems like a fairly decent way, but it certainly isn't going to stop piracy.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Vilkata

Vilkata,

It will be difficult to argue that the measure infringes upon rights, or civil liberties, simply because US citizens are not mandated, or required to watch movies, or purchase them.

The idea is highly flawed regardless, people that are going to be, "pirating" DVD's aren't necessarily going to obtain, or buy them in a conventional manner. Plus no one in their right mind would show a valid ID to buy a movie, then mass distribute it on the internet. There are plenty of talented programming coders that will be able to remove any copy protections built in to the disk anyhow, proof it this lies in the rampant software piracy that has been taking place since the Commodore 64 computer made it's debut into the homes of millions in the 80's.

It is safe to say that there hasn't been one software application that has ever been released that hasn't been pirated; therefore, based on that knowledge, this DVD watermark scheme will be cracked, hacked, and removed from pirated movies within a week of it hitting the market.
I can't imagine that this system will come to fruition, it seems like it would end up being a big waste of money.

-CosmicClearance

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Or Gee just go to the red box and rent one there. Then you copy to your hearts content. Anything can be beaten.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
they are shooting themselves in the foot for sure

TV is so yesterday

WWW is where its at

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The pirates always have the upper hand in this. I bet that pirates already are working on beating that watermark.

We've been hearing the industry lamenting for the last 15 years because of internet. Even before that I taped audio cassettes and buyed cracked amiga computer games. Yet there is still movies and music being made. The fact that they want to ID me before buying them will only incite me to find other ways of watching my movies and listening to music. From Napsters to Pirate Bay, there are so many ways to watch movies, or get free software they won't be able to stop them all.

I'm now watching a US sci-fi TV-series from a chinese Youtube-like site ... there are all those series that I wanna watch and I can't because I don't have cable ... and no pause. I even sometimes find them subtitled in my native french, internet is so vast.

Internet as opened a pandora's box, the industry won't stop it ... ever.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by grandnic]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Redbox requires a credit card to purchase. Instant ID.

On another note, I think requiring an ID to rent a movie is blatantly unconstitutional. Proof of age is one thing, but being put into a database so your actions can be monitored and tracked? 1984 anyone?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I find it interesting that the movie and music industries are the only ones who will sue their consumers. Strange business model indeed.

"Let's see. Anyone who purchases our products are considered a fertile ground for lawsuits where we can make more money than the original money the consumers paid us in the first place."

This is right out of Monty Python. It would be funny if it wasn't for real.

If they roll out this new model of having their consumers show ID to purchase, I will make it so easy for them by not purchasing movies any more.

There are too many other options to view their products (satellite pay per view, netflix, HBO, Cinemax, Starz, etc). This could be a good thing for video rental chains unless you rent the same movie that a ripper rents and then the industry sues you in civil court.

I see this being very bad PR.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
And yet they still do not grasp the concept.

Too take my wife to the movies will cost me $100.00, at least. Then they proceed with 30 minutes of commercials before the movie . . .

Buy a DVD?

Yep . . . $20 for a piece of plastic that I can buy at Wal-Mart for $1.50 . . . that will be put into my DVD player . . . MAYBE once or twice a year.

Nevermind the fact that if/when the movie sucks, I just blew that hard earned money.

When the movie and recording industries change their ways, I will stop pirating.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
Or Gee just go to the red box and rent one there. Then you copy to your hearts content. Anything can be beaten.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

Until Red Box's start showing up with Retinal and Thumbprint recognition scanners, then you might be in trouble. lol.
Seriously though, you want to get the message out to the MPAA about how we're sick of their greed and bullsh*t? It's easy. Everyone STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS! Go outside, and enjoy life. Stop paying them to slowly kill yourself wasting away in front of the TV watching the crap that they pay self-important actors to entertain us with. Movies have no life to them anymore. It's all about who can spend the most to make the prettiest, whether the acting or story are good or not.
When these a-holes are making absolutely no money, then maybe they'll back off and shut up.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
good luck, I'll just remove the watermark with watermark remove programs released a few months after they first come out, because we always find a way to get around it.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oreyeon
. . . Everyone STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS! . . .

I have

I am a pirate . . . Arrgh matey.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Screw'em. they are just wasting their money.

every time they change encryption tech within a few days there are ways around the new protection if not on the same day the first dvd with the new protection hits the shelves.

Its cheaper to download the movies off the net or rent them and copy them then it is to buy them. $1.50 for a blank dvd and red box charges $1 to rent the movie for 24 hours you tell me what you would rather pay $2.50 or $25 for a movie?

@ xxpigxx Arrgh matey your not the only pirate
If the game movie app is worth buying after i try it out first i go buy it. If its a load of crap well i only wasted some bandwith

[edit on 4/26/2009 by Mercenary2007]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I guess that they can do what they want with there movies. But I think we will see there sales drop to the bottom just like we saw the Music sales drop!

Anytime they do something like this it makes for a real mess on peoples players and playing them on a computer or Home system for media.

This will turn into a real loss for Movie company's.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
Too take my wife to the movies will cost me $100.00, at least. Then they proceed with 30 minutes of commercials before the movie . . .

Damn, dude, how much popcorn do you eat? let's see... these are just guesstimates:

$8x2 for the movie tickets
$5x2 for the drinks
$6 for the popcorn
and lets say $3x2 for candy.

That's less than forty.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Even less than forty bucks is more than the daily wages of how many countries ?

The movie bussiness has enough money as it is. Stop giving them money and find your entertainment where it does NOT cost money.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by grandnic]

[edit on 27-4-2009 by grandnic]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Marley and Me - cost to make $50M
Iron Man - cost to make $150M

When both movies are first released to DVD they both cost the same price.

So who is ripping off who?

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Flighty]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
There's a simple reason why downloading is so popular. The product that 'pirates' offer is superiour to the original in pretty much every way. These companies are living on the stone age of technology and it's their own fault if they lose revenue.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
There's a simple reason why downloading is so popular. The product that 'pirates' offer is superiour to the original in pretty much every way. These companies are living on the stone age of technology and it's their own fault if they lose revenue.

Oh, yeah, forget about the fact that they can get a fifteen dollar product, or even a product that hasn't been released yet to the public, for free...

The truth is, most pirated movies are of extremely poor quality. The only reason people download them is because they can't/won't go out and buy them.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidLight

The truth is, most pirated movies are of extremely poor quality. The only reason people download them is because they can't/won't go out and buy them.

No offense but, Do you really believe that or are you just coping and pasting from a site that supports the MPAA and their actions?

Most people download movies because they see trailers for them and they look like killer movies, then you pay to see them in the theater, or buy the DVD when they come out and the movie is pure trash! the "good" trailer was actually from deleted scenes or the scene that it was taken from was the only good part of the movie.

The movie studios need to learn that greed will be their downfall just like it was for the music industry.

The movie studios need to start making movies that are actually worth buying.

Next thing you know the MPAA is going to start going after all the movie rental places because they don't receive any extra money from the rental of the movie. they only get the initial money from when the rental chain bought the DVD

$50-$150 million to make a movie? please The makers of slumdog millionaire made an academy award winning movie with a shoestring budget i think it was less than $20 million dollars if they can do it so can the big movie studios. it just boils down to how greedy they want to be!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join