It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to parents. Remove child from school because of Swine Flu?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Well, the local paper says two suspected cases are in my county.

He said the majority of the people who are suspected of having the virus in North Carolina had traveled to Mexico recently. None of them have been hospitalized and all have been asked to stay home, Engel said. Testing confirming the suspect cases could come as early as Wednesday, he said.

Wednesday is too late. I know know how other states are, but they need to get results of this waaayyy faster. I will talk with her dad later tonight about what to do about school.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I have read a few of the comments posted til now and I am feeling alot better about my decision to keep my children home today and likely for the rest of the week. I live in Orangevale, Ca. We are the city bordering Fair Oaks which is where the school is located (2 miles from my home) with the 3 confirmed cases as of today. These kids were sent to school with a fever and sent home. Our local little league has cancelled all practices and games until further notice. This should tell you something. Let me get to the point I want to make. My 7 year old is STAR testing this week and I didnt want to take her to school. She was so upset with me because they have been gearing them up for this for weeks and she could not stand the thought of not testing. So, I took her to school this morning and told her teacher that she would be picked up this morning as soon as they were done testing. Her teacher said she would feel the same and she understood. Then, I stopped off at the office and talked for a minute with one of the staff members, she tore me up and down about how we are too paranoid and freaking out and so much more. I walked out feeling like a horrible parent because she also informed me that she thought we were damaging our children by putting fear in them. I really felt bad. But, now that i have read some of these comments, like I said earlier, I feel better and feel like I am going to follow through with my first instincts. Thank You for making this clear to me. I didnt want to think it was about the money but in Californias current state with the schools I cant help but think that that is exactly what it is about. Oh, by the way, she did mention that the schools would be losing money. I am going back to get my baby in a few minutes and going to stand my ground as a concerned (not paranoid) parent. God Bless.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NATIVO

I haven't read the thread to see all the postings, but personally if I was in an area where there was a large group with the flu right now, I would not allow my child to go to school at all.

This morning here, they said there are 2 cases just a few miles from me.
I am not going to over react and take my child out of school right now.

BUT I will be paying close attention and if many more cases pop up around here, well - lets just say - to some it may be an over reaction - but I would take my child out of school. As I perfer an "over reaction" compared to a "no action" and a possible sick child. If quite a few cases pop up.

The Red Cross asked me to do something this weekend for a event. My daugther and I would have been doing fun kids activities, but the certain activity (putting kids tatoos on them) would involve constant touching of the skin of other people. I declined to do it, and I told her exactly why.

Why, put ourselves in a situation right now, especially a skin to skin contact, if we don't have to?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Link to story

"Many hundreds" of schoolchildren are sick with suspected cases of swine flu, said New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden.

I just saw this and wanted to share.

I don't think parents' fears are irrational at this point. But, if it's not in your area yet, you might watch and wait.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by Pamie]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I sent my son back in to school today, he was running a slight fever, stomache ache and headache yesterday so I kept him home. He got lot's of rest, chicken soup and gingerale, and was back at school this morning.

I'm keeping an eye out for our local area due to the fact that we are within 2 hrs of NYC and 1 1/2 of Philly, 3 hrs of Wash. DC, and lot's of our neighbors commute to these Cities. Our local Dept. of Health is waiting for the calls, and they have already started screening in our area for this Flu. The local hospitals said they would even put up temporary testing facilities if it was warranted.

It's not something I'm panicking over, I'm just keepin my "MOM EYES" on all right now.

A_L

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by janon
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

Scared much?? Are you serious? Since you don't have children of your own, you have no idea what it is like to be a parent. I would literally die for my children. I would do whatever is possible to ensure their safety.

Yeah that's great and all, I would do the same, but don't you think you're being paranoid?? I am sending my kids to school, I live all the way up in Maine, I have a job and need to go to work. My husband would question my sanity if my kids stayed home because of the swine flu. As far as I know, no one in Maine has it. i would also be visited from the Police here if i kept them out because of this. They would probably question my sanity and social services may be called. The only way i would keep them home is if the state insisted we keep them home, otherwise I would be a paranoid nutcase. By the way I do keep my kids home if they have fevers, and I take them to the dr's at the drop of the hat, my old doctors knew me very well. Just in case you point the bad Mother finger. Besides they only have 2.5 months left of school.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I little off topic, but this Reminds me of what happened a few days PRIOR to KATRINA. Do ya'll remember when the weather News told people to Leave New Orleans because a Major Hurricane was about to hit?

and, many people REFUSED to leave because they didnt take it seriously enough until it was too late?

Why take a chance?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by debehall

Don't let them make you feel like a horrible parent for being a concerned parent. You are a good parent because you are worried about the health and well being of your child

School officials don't and never will care about your child the way that you do, all they care about is their funding.

Any parent that does what they believe is in the best interest of their child is a good parent, whether it be keeping them home, or sending them to school. Every parent must make their own judgement about their own child, they must trust their instincts, we have instincts for a reason.. Don't let school officials make you second guess and doubt yourself. Your children are blessings that were bestowed upon and entrusted to you, not the state.

You continue to do what you feel is best for them as a loving parent and trust your heart and that's the best you can ever do for them

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Schools walk delicate line in swine flu response Classrooms a key player monitoring virus, but first responsibility is safetyext
Link to MSNBC

Here is an article addressing when schools should close and how to handle the flu.

Fear of a potential swine flu pandemic poses a conundrum for school officials, who must balance schools’ critical role in monitoring the spread of the virus by staying open with their responsibility to keep children safe.

Isolated schools have been shut down so far in California, Kansas, New York, Ohio, South Carolina and Texas. In many more, after-school activities and field trips have been canceled.

Has your school taken any preventive measures? I remember a few years ago when my daughter was in elementary school, and she told me that they never washed their hands before lunch. The just lined up and went to the cafeteria. I started to send her to school with travel sized hand sanitizer.

Do you think the schools are doing enough?

I think this is a good thread and hope we can keep a watchful eye together.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Pamie]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by debehall

Sounds like you were doing the right thing...letting her test and then taking her home, esp if the flu is in your area.
Don't let them get to you!

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Just dropped off my son at middle school...we were a few minutes late. The school was completely locked and the teacher parking lot was at about half the norm. School was in session. The principal was at the front door to let late kids in. She blankly waved.
I think that what we have here in my rural area of VA is precipitous fear.
Therefore, I will not jeopardize the health and well being of my son....physically nor
psychologically. We have been discussing this flu episode nightly. He is relatively calm about it. Hopefully, he shall remain so.
If the local situation escalates, No, he will not go to school. He can go to work with me
whenever necessary. My responsibility is his welfare.....during and most assuredly, outside of school. I am his parent...not the public school system !!!!

Peace...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by another_lurker

University of Delaware has 4 suspected cases.
I'm sure that's close to you as well.

When i dropped my daughter off at school this morning I went into the office and asked what their Swine Flu plans were. They looked at me with a blank look and didn't know what to say. Obviously they have no plans. I informed them of what was going on at the University of Delaware (which is only 15 minutes away from the school) and that I wanted immediate notification if ANY child at that school had flu symptoms. I also informed them I'd be pulling my child out if anyone showed symptoms.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
We have our first suspected case here in Chicago, a child in elementary school. The school has closed down for at least two day because of the suspected case and an usual rise in absences. They need to follow up on the students that have been absent and see if they are also sick. And now they decide to tell us that there are other suspected cases in Illinois. There is a confirmed case in Indiana, which is right next to us.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

My son called me this morning and told me that he had heard the news on his way to work, and to keep my grandkids home as the school is not that far from us. We'd rather be safe than sorry, so until we find out more my grandkids won't be going to school.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Thanks for your words of encouragement, I appreciate it. I think this is an individual case situation at this point. I am an extremely lucky person in the sense that I dont have to worry about chosing between my children and my employment at this point. The alert level has been raised to 5 but I am still encouraged that this will pass soon and with little devastation. Poor baby in Texas. I pray there are no more. Poor Mommy and Daddy. That would be the worst thing ever. It just seems so hard to let someone else protect your children. I truly think that the school would not let us know if there were a suspected case, just to keep from causing a panic. Would they really let us know quick enough? Just waitin it out and hopeful.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join