It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to parents. Remove child from school because of Swine Flu?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Thank goodness I talked to my daughter's teacher and my daughter was clearly confused. Her friend is going to New Mexico next week. The teacher is keeping an eye on this, definitly as she knows the kid's family is going there. My daughter's teacher had some sort of immune disorder a few years ago, so she is really careful about sickies. Good. We do have a high population of hispanics here so it does concern me. I'm not trying to play the race card, but they are known to travel from place to place and now it's planting season, so it is time for the migrant workers to start coming in.

Anyway, since the incubation period is supposedly around 2-5 days and there is no signs of it around here so far, I'll keep her in school. Now when the first case is diagnosed in this area, it's over, she's home.

And a word of warning, I don't remember if it was last year or the year before last, the warning about kids and Tamiflu - it can change their behavior in a very negative way.

The school so far has said nothing, although after today, I'm sure we'll either get a note sent home or a recorded phone call this evening.

In the meantime, I'll be watching and listening and waiting.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I am a mother of 5 and if mine were school aged now I would have cause for concern. Once a case is discovered in our area, that would have been it for school.

One thing that did concern me is the local county Health Director made reference to his certainty that we would have cases of it here in Rochester. Gee, does he know something that he is not sharing.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strype
So Timmy misses school because mommy is scared. Timmy brags to Johnny, so Johnny tells his mommy causing her to become paranoid as well. Johnny tells Jenny, Jenny tells Tammy, etc etc. Eventually nobody is showing up to school, and we're denying EVEN MORE education to these poor children. 10,000+ children miss 1+ week(s) of school over something that won't even efftect 99% of them.

- Strype

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Strype]

I'm not denying my child an education at all! I am a far better educator to my child than the crappy school system!

Today's math lesson is let's count the number of swine flu cases in the US + the number in Mexico = Let's not expose ourselves!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Strype

This is no laughing matter, I always admired those that take matters into their own hands when it comes to the well being of their children, as a mother of two, I take into hands my children well being also.

I do not condone or laugh about the decisions of parents as that is a personal choice unless is obvious that it will harm the child.

I imagine that your mother had at hart the best interest when it came to you as a child.

Parents usually knows best.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Schools across America starting to close -

Story Here

Some schools in Texas, California, Ohio and South Carolina also were closing after students were found or suspected to have the flu.

Wonder if we'll be finishing the week out?
This is frightening.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NATIVO

I live in Texas. Guadalupe county which is right next to us closed at least one school today and that was enough for me. I went to the school this morning and told them that my son would not be there until this was cleared up to my satisfaction. they asked if it was Dr's orders and I told them no I was exercising my rights as a parent (which we no longer really have) to keep my child safe. I went to his teachers and got all the work he would need for the week and went home. I got a call later on telling me that it would be an unexcused absence with the threat that if he missed this whole week he would be held back a grade.(due to the warm bodies in a seat for money program-ever wonder why there are so many "half-days") I sincerely hope that they try to do that to my son so I can be the first to go to court to regain my rights as a parent. My child is near the top of his class and is certainly not going to be left behind education wise because of missing a week, they just want to count him as there so they get their funds. I am sick to death of this s**t. My son's school is full of kids whose parents don't speak English. He has come home with lice, twice, with a note explaining how this is not the fault of the parents and has nothing to do with hygiene which is complete B.S. I am tired of his education suffering because the kids around him are filthy and can't read. We as parents need to assert our rights instead of abrogating responsibility for5 their health and education to the schools. If we want our rights back, we will have to take them back because they are not going to give them up willingly. Be brave enough to stand up for them! They can't fight us all.
I think it is also very important to note that our government officials are talking about being on alert and in a health emergency but they are not doing anything except trying to push some more poison on us.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by neves49]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I am just as perplexed as many in this thread, this just hit me this weekend and that is when I saw the impact that could have in the nation.

Is like something a tsunami hitting the coast over night, no warnings just like that.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NATIVO

You are not crazy! You are not too paranoid! You are a parent and are thinking and doing exactly what a parent is supposed to do and what they tell us we are not allowed to do because we are not qualified. We need to take our rights back by standing up for ourselves and our children. There are many who have voluntarily abrogated their rights and responsibilities regarding their children to the state. I am not one of them. As I wrote in my other post, I really hope they try to give me a problem about this because I will take them to court. I am not the only parent who wants their children back and I hope you all will join me. It will be a lot easier if I am not alone.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Homeschooling is just a good idea anyway, flu or no flu. You get your kids out of the way of pandemics, but more commonly indoctrination and dumbing down by the federal curriculum.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by CapsFan8]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Guys, I never said it was a laughing matter. If you laughed at my post you should be ashamed of yourselves. I was offering my opinion where I think too much control becomes unncesessary. That's all.

Originally posted by chise61
reply to post by Strype

Timmy's mom has good reason to be scared, this could kill Timmy, and the rest of the family. She needs not worry what other parents may or may not do.

As for Johnny, Jenny, Tammy,etc well their parents must decide for theirselves what's best for their children.

Most moms also tell their children, just because your friend jumps off of a bridge doesn't mean you should do it.

Define good reason. Things like this happen all the time. If there were any evidence that we should be scared of this, I'd most likely agree with you wholeheartedly. Problem is, there isn't. You can't pull your kids out of school every time somebody gets bad gas in another country. I appreciate you looking out for your children though. There's nothing wrong with that, but there is a point where it becomes too much. I guess we've set those points in different places. No hard feelings to any of you, obviously.

Btw, my mother never told me anything about jumping off of a bridge, because she knew I was smart enough to figure that out on my own.

Cheers.

- Strype

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Strype]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Unfortunately, there is an excuse, like having to pay one's bills or in the case of school, the threat of having your child held back regardless of their actual progress at school and the threat of CPS intervention which entails legalized kidnapping.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by neves49

Take to the school board they are the ones with the real power no the individual schools and if they are not very friendly to you and your child's need, you can tell them that you will be getting a lawyer and that the news media will be interested on your cause also.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Claiming to care for your kids and then sending them to public schools is somewhat hypocritcal. Public schooling serves 2 purposes these days, and they're both beneficial to the parent.

1) You pretend you care, when you don't, and allow your children to attend the biggest festival of sex & drugs on the entire planet, just to say that your child is "educated."

or

2) You don't want them at home. It's free and it's nice to enjoy the additional privacy.

Either way, most of them aren't learning what is shown in the "cirriculum" at the beginning of every year. For the most part (there are some good schools), they're competing over who sleeps with the most people, who can do the longest keg stand, and who rolls the fattest joint. Anything educational is put aside to those things. That is why our high-school graduate rate has dropped DRASTICALLY down to under 50%. People just don't care anymore. Kids OR Adults.

So with that said, I think they should remove EVERY child from school, but I don't think it should be because of "Swine Flu." I think it should be because the system is compltely corrupted and no longer does what it was intended to do. Educate people.

Cheers.

- Strype

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
UPDATE. I just received a call from the district health nurse!

She told me that she received a call from the principle and was concerned about my decision to keep my child home and that she was concerned my child would fall seriously behind if I continued this.

Remember this is day 1

She told me that she wanted to assure me that there is “no threat to my child” because it’s all hype. She said I should not listen to what the television was telling me because “it’s not true”. She told me if I was considering home schooling it would be a huge process and my child would not receive what was needed at home!!!!!!!! I let her do most of the talking and found it amazing how “stupid” she thinks I am.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…. Anger toward school building

My reply: First I informed her that my feelings were not based on the media I told her how I appreciated her concern for my decision but home schooling was very positive and educational and I wasn’t going to budge on my decision. Then I through her the big one.
I told her that I have a family member involved in an organization that works very closely with the epidemic situation. She immedialtly started asking me if this is where my recommendation came from. I told her no, it is still just my desire to protect my child…

Well it looks like we’re gonna end up fighting this one too..

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I think that this thread should be about keeping kids home from school during the epidemic, not why public schools suck.

I mean, that might just be my opinion. But I was interested in the original topic, not people claiming that my education is a joke.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Okay, so I took my daughter to the Drs (remember she had flu-like symptoms), and the dr was very nice. She said it is upper respiratory but that there are a few other spring bugs going around. I got my letter for the school. And then, I went to the school (after hours) to pick up her missed work. One of her teachers is being a #!$@# JERK.

When I got back home, I told my daughter what he said and how she cannot miss anymore school, and she said, "Why does he hate me?"

My Parent Philosophy; I think what parents and non-parents need to understand is that parents make mistakes. Hopefully, we learn from our mistakes (often feeling horribly guilty, like we've totally messed our kids up). One thing many parents learn is to error on the side of caution. I don't care if people think I'm nuts when it involves my kids physical and mental health.

So, I think it is a wait and see situation with pulling kids out of school. But, if you think that is best for your child, them I support you 100%.

You don't mess with other people's kids. Their kids--their choice.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

This thread is about keeping your children home during a pandemic and the resistance we are meeting while trying to do so. We are sharing ideas and experiences.
Some of us are trying to make legit. cases to the schools and the schools are telling us a health emergency is nothing to worry about.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NATIVO

There's a difference between that and saying "I would never send my child to public school at all for these unrelated reasons."

From here, my school has a limit of number of days that a child can be out. If they are out longer, they have to appeal. If their appeal is rejected, they lose the credits from their classes, and as a Senior they may not graduate. If the flu gets bad and the school is shut down, I'm not sure what the state will do about the graduation requirements in terms of number of days.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Mommy of 2 school aged boys here and while I am concerned I will continue to allow my sons to attend school "UNTIL" there is a confirmed case in our state, currently there is none, and I have tried to educate my sons about swine flu and how it's transmitted, I've replenished their germX and will be sending clorox wipes and larger germx to the class. It's almost the end of the school year, my youngest is graduating from elementary school, they have lots of fun things planned for the remainder of the year and I want them to both have their last weeks with their friends and not have them be disappointed because of my fears and paranoia.

However once there is a confirmed case in Florida, they will be wearing the masks, and once it's confirmed to our county, they are staying home.

Practice good hygiene, clean, clean and clean some more, eat healthy and beware of sick people. I refuse to live in fear, until we have a more widespread scenario, life goes on as usual and no we won't taking any vaccines either.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well I just read that NC now has suspected cases, but they won't say where.

One thing that I worry about is that I can keep my daughter home from school, but if I am still working and being around the public, then I am exposed and then I bring it home. I have no choice but to work right now. Well, what good does keeping her home do? It's not like we can just hide in the house and not go out. Honestly, won't we have to go out at some time? I really don't mean to sound like I don't care because I most certainly do, I am just wondering out loud more than anything.

I guess the best we can do is make a decision on what we think is best for our children and there is not much else we can do otherwise than wash wash wash and sanitize, sanitize, sanitize and take every precaution we can to avoid this.

One thing that did concern me is the local county Health Director made reference to his certainty that we would have cases of it here in Rochester. Gee, does he know something that he is not sharing.

Same thing here. And now they say they have suspected cases in my state but not where.

[edit on 4/27/09 by opal13]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join