It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did you decide which religion is correct?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

that's alright....

hit quote.....

put your cursor AFTER [QUOTE]

and type away....

see OT's thread under profile for more info....

urdaman!!! prayin for ya....on this battleground!

sweet thanks bro!! you too dude! you rock!!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Perhaps a different approach to this question could expand the level of thought on this subject.

As it stands the books and the collection of words that make up those books are just a representation of the deeper esoteric teachings that are the foundation of the beliefs expressed in the books, words and sermons.

What I'm saying is.. we aren't necessarily picking or choosing the "correct" religion because I think that is an erroneous way of approaching the "religion" problem.

The problem being "is this or that the correct religion" ?

Much like the rest of the objects and things around us, the names and labels we give those objects and things do not make the labels true or correct.
Language is not experience.
A Cat doesn't become more of a cat because someone calls it a cat, nor does it become more dog like if someone were to call it a dog.

Much in the same way that the books, words and sermons don't make people buddhist, christian or muslim, even imitating the advice and language inside those books don't make you a buddhist or a christian or a muslim because those are themselves just words.

I think religion can be a great tool in it's current state because it shows us that no-matter how precise we think we are with our language it is just a trivial label, a cloud in the sky, something that changes with time.

Perhaps when we move away from the solidity, certainty and faith that we have in words we can recognize the truth behind many of those words, sermons and books, realizing that the words, ideas, concepts do not exist as christian, muslim or buddhist ideas but are flesh and blood people, without that the words are unheard, unread and dead.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777
reply to post by Brocky34

Here is where most people go wrong: all religions are not the same. There are two religions in the world. 1)Those in which man does something to get to "heaven." 2)The one in which Jesus has already done everything needed to make us right with God. This is Christianity. Every other religion in the world requires us to do something. Except Christianity. Everything is already done for you, the only thing is to believe.

Hi Brocky, thanks for your comment. However, unlike yourself I find it impossible to give credence to any religion that preaches one thing and then commits atrocities within the same breath.
Your Christian religion is so flawed, both historically/ spiritually, that, trying to pedantically follow it is impossible.
But alas, when all else fails your ilk will sit there and pontificate the concept of faith; when you have no tangible evidence to support you feable arguments.
Tell me, if someone gave you a lump of faeces, told you it was gold- it looked like s--t, smelt like s--t- but then you have faith, so its not!

i dont get why sooo many people think...if i say im a christian that means im a christian...if i say im a hamburger that means im a hamburger. its like we have lost all sense of discernment. Many many many terrible and disgusting things where done in the name of Christ....that doesnt make someone a christian...i dont understand why people dont see this. "Judge a tree by its fruit". All the atrocities of the "church" that have been done u can be sure were against what Christ has called people who have put their faith in him to do. Lets not be so gullible to go "ahhhh look at you christians!! doing so and so!!, when in actual fact we are pointing at a non-Christ follower trying to parade under the name of Christ for their own selfish disgusting personal gain". Alot of those "heathens" burnt at the stake back in the day were Christians full of love for people and for God being killed because they were exposing the sin of the "church". Fake religious leaders who used the Name of Christ as a means of gain and way to power.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
There is no one correct religion.
They are all capable of manipulation.
Therefore cannot be totally believed.
Religion is only one way for mans feeble mind to grasp the concepts of God.
IMO and my 2cents, coming from many years of study & observation.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Great thread... I've had the privilege of studying all known religions, faiths and philosophies, sciences both typical and paranormal for 23 years. I personally never wanted "religion" as per say, only truth (Who am I? Where am I? Where did I come from? Where am I going?). So, I do understand the original question and have enjoyed many of the responses on this thread (that have been posted out of love and respect) but I would like to encourage the original poster and everyone to consider a search for truth as a primary M.O. I read an ancient text that was written as a quote from the creator of all things which said, "If you seek for Me with your whole heart (mind) I will reveal myself to you.") I took this concept to an experiment type scenario and low and behold, I met the being that created me, face to face. My path since then has been like the stories I read of those who have had the same experience all through the centuries. It seemed too simple but considering it should be simple enough for a child, it really made sense to take the challenge and I can say with all excitement, this is the greatest secret that no organization wants you to know (unless they want to know the real truth).

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I'm one of those nasty people who haven't read the whole thread. . .although I wish I had time to.

I can't answer how I decided which religion is correct, because I went in the other direction.

I can answer how people I saw 'convert' to a religion decided.

Need and Timing.

Need is why people search for greater meaning. The whole 'no athiests in foxholes' thing. They need an answer to why their life sucks or decide that they need answers to big life question(s). Mostly the former.

Timing is what religion or other belief system is lucky enough to find and snag them when they are searching for greater meaning.

Personal history plays a role in the decision if more than one religion or belief system finds them at the same time.

[edit on 6/13/2009 by zefiro]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RubberBaron

I did choose my own. I did my own research, I did my own digging, and I came to my own conclusions. I have noticed that most religious people that I speak with seem to be parroting what they have been told, and don't seem to have thought about it critically whatsoever.

My religion would probably be considered "heathen" by most, but I am fine with that. It is mine, and it, to me, is beautiful.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RubberBaron

for me it wasn't the one that was correct. it was the one that made the
most sense. The Bible just absolutly calls the shots.yesterday, today, tommorrow.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
imo i dont beileve there is a correct religon i think all religons are the same i dont follow a religon i have my own and think it shud be the same fo everybody else

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
I am a Christian Mystic. When I reached rock bottom in my life I cried out and asked if God was real and to let me know. Next day an old friend I hadn't talked to in years called me to see if I want to do Bible studies. If that wasn't a sign then I can't tell you.

I'm not going to argue or defend any positions here. I just simply want to say that what-ever path you choose, make sure it is the "mystical branch" of that path.

Mystical refers to directly experiencing Spiritual realities and God. Yes they are beyond comprehension and beyond the mind. Don't listen to the one poster who said he doesn't believe in the concept "beyond comprehension." I wouldn't have believed it either about 5 years ago until it happened to me. Plus the Mind thinks it is "I" but its not. You can be aware of the mind and its thinking, deciding, judgments, and emotions. None of those are you and "you" can be aware of those things.

Just like the thought of a rock isn't a rock, so who you "think" you are, isn't "you" But now Im going into self inquiry and many don't get this aspect.

So yeah I highly recommend that you make sure its a mystical branch and also that you look into self inquiry and knowing yourself, who you are. Many aspects you think are you, aren't. The part of you that "thinks," which is the mind, also isn't you but it is a tool for the real you to use. Plus meditation is extremely important. To unlearn and unprogram all the crap that society, friends, parents, TV and school has instilled.

Everything else you look into on the surface will be a bunch of B.S. arguing that "we're right and everyone else is wrong." Its important to get past that, to transcend it, and just Love and accept everyone for who and where they are in life.

My 2 cents

Great post, worth a lot more than 2 cents. Not because I necessarily believe every word you said, but because you started at the top looking for your answers.

If God is there and if He is real, it would not be madness to assume that one could go to Him directly and ask Him to reveal himself to us would it?

I once heard it said that pain is Gods megaphone to a lost a dieing world. Often we need to hit rock bottom and get to the end of our own self sufficiency in order to cry out to God with a genuine heart.

I personally had to jump up to reach bottom. God is there, he is ever so close and he loves you so very much.

May you find him now.

John: 6: 28 - 29

What shall we do, that we may work the works of God? And Jesus said to them; "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him who He sent"

[edit on 16-6-2009 by Imago Dei]

[edit on 16-6-2009 by Imago Dei]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I try to practice customs of many religions that don't conflict with my current religion.

I follow some Christian laws, some parts of Jainism, some Judaism, some Islam while incorporating parts of Zoroastrianism , Baha'i, and Hinduism.

There are some parts of each religion I like so i tend to practice a mix of all of them.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
RubberBaron here is my answer: my grandfather is a Pentacostal preacher and my mom his daughter got saved or so she says when i was 8 yrs old. I admit I did feel something when I took it seriously. But like most souls I walked away from it all when I left home. That was 18 yrs ago and since then there have been numerous occasions that were proof enough for me theres a higher power which I refer to as God. Some things just cannot be ignored. Still do not go to church but read the bible when I get the notion and am seeing things in the bible that confirm lots of present day happenings such as UFOs and corrupt government and senseless wars and the end of this age. Am I a fool? If so I am a fool with insight and without ignorance. The bible proves history repeats itself. To not be able to see that means you do not WANT to see that. People only read it one way and thats with an unopen mind unopen heart unopen eyes. Religion has nothing to do with God but EVERYTHING to do with politics and mans power. GBYA

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Forgot to say thanks RubberBaron and I hope everyone who posts in here will take the time to LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN because He still speaks to us all even if you no longer or never have believed. The signs are everywhere no matter what you think. Next time you are alone ask Him to reveal Himself in a manner that you will understand and be patient. No matter who you are or what you have done He will never turn his back on you. No one wants to change but everyone wants a freeride. Dont follow the blind because thats just ridiculous and pointless and will get you nowhere fast. PEACE LOVE AND PATIENCE BRINGS HAPPINESS

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join