It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US declares public health emergency for swine flu

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
So far I havn't heard of any negro people getting the virus? Nor any asians or whites getting any serious symptoms like the hispanics. This does look very suspicious indeed :-/

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
bbc report:

I work as a resident doctor in one of the biggest hospitals in Mexico City and sadly, the situation is far from "under control". As a doctor, I realise that the media does not report the truth. Authorities distributed vaccines among all the medical personnel with no results, because two of my partners who worked in this hospital (interns) were killed by this new virus in less than six days even though they were vaccinated as all of us were. The official number of deaths is 20, nevertheless, the true number of victims are more than 200. I understand that we must avoid to panic, but telling the truth it might be better now to prevent and avoid more deaths.
Yeny Gregorio Dávila, Mexico City

news.bbc.co.uk...

Nice to know the truth is out there!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by candide
Possible explanation for the age group 20-50 being reported.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm
It is believed that cytokine storms were responsible for many of the deaths during the 1918 influenza pandemic, which killed a disproportionate number of young adults.[1] In this case, a healthy immune system may have been a liability rather than an asset. Preliminary research results from Hong Kong also indicated this as the probable reason for many deaths during the SARS epidemic in 2003.[citation needed] Human deaths from the bird flu H5N1 usually involve cytokine storms as well.[citation needed] Recent reports of high mortality among healthy young adults in the 2009 swine flu outbreak point to cytokine storms as being responsible for these deaths[4]

If it's the immune system that's doing the damage then maybe the Mexican cases are resulting in more fatalities due to some difference in the immune response of the populations. Is there any credible reason why the Mexicans would have a stronger immune response than US citizens and would it be applicable over a large cross section of society?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by humilisunus
bbc report:

I work as a resident doctor in one of the biggest hospitals in Mexico City and sadly, the situation is far from "under control". As a doctor, I realise that the media does not report the truth. Authorities distributed vaccines among all the medical personnel with no results, because two of my partners who worked in this hospital (interns) were killed by this new virus in less than six days even though they were vaccinated as all of us were. The official number of deaths is 20, nevertheless, the true number of victims are more than 200. I understand that we must avoid to panic, but telling the truth it might be better now to prevent and avoid more deaths.

news.bbc.co.uk...

In less than six days? That's some Ebola s--- going on there... I'm not sure - I mean, I've done reports and abstracts on all sorts of viruses - but I was pretty sure that 6 days is an exceedingly fast rate of mortality. Someone with more knowledge care to provide input? I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the entire cycle of the virus being six days (as in Ebola), or the time symptoms appear to the death of the host.

link   
OMFG - 200 deaths in Mexico alone? INCLUDING 2 INTERNS?

This is serious and is spreading like wildfire. A lot of people are going to die.

Does anyone here know whats best to do in these situations? Would you advise I leave London or is it safer to just stay indoors etc?

link   
reply to post by FredT

Hi FredT
I am extremely worried about this swine flu issue. For some reason I’m more concerned about watching the live press release on TV.

The wording seems manipulated. Homeland Security said to expect different actions in parts of the country.

This “public health emergency” is a “national state of emergency” I expect to see chaos and martial law. They were too vague in their comments.

They’ve been looking for a reason to send troops in to the streets and declare martial law. The global economy is in shambles, We have Obama bank stress tests disclosures coming out, too much to list.

Most here on ATS have been waiting for SHTF, for them to find ANY reason to deploy martial law.

Maybe all the banks will be closed with military tanks parked outside. I just see more to it than the flu.

We cant even control the borders, they havent cancelled any flights yet, so why the national state of emergency?? Mexicans cross the border daily to go to work here.

I dont always look for a sinister motive it's just very odd timing with other current events.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Highground

Originally posted by humilisunus
bbc report:

news.bbc.co.uk...

In less than six days? That's some Ebola s--- going on there... I'm not sure - I mean, I've done reports and abstracts on all sorts of viruses - but I was pretty sure that 6 days is an exceedingly fast rate of mortality. Someone with more knowledge care to provide input? I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the entire cycle of the virus being six days (as in Ebola), or the time symptoms appear to the death of the host.

Well I know that when I've had flu before, onset is generally around 2 days. After 2 days I feel the worst, then seem to gradually get better for maybe a week after that.

So I don't see it as being particularly odd for flu to kill in 6 days. Also, bear in mind that it's 6 days since symptoms were identified - i.e. an immune response started to be noticed.

I know flu generally infects you well before you show symptoms. The frightening thing being that I you are also infectious well before you show symptoms - so there may be 1000's more out there who have been infected and have no idea yet that they are in mortal danger.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee

Originally posted by candide
Possible explanation for the age group 20-50 being reported.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm
It is believed that cytokine storms were responsible for many of the deaths during the 1918 influenza pandemic, which killed a disproportionate number of young adults.[1] In this case, a healthy immune system may have been a liability rather than an asset. Preliminary research results from Hong Kong also indicated this as the probable reason for many deaths during the SARS epidemic in 2003.[citation needed] Human deaths from the bird flu H5N1 usually involve cytokine storms as well.[citation needed] Recent reports of high mortality among healthy young adults in the 2009 swine flu outbreak point to cytokine storms as being responsible for these deaths[4]

If it's the immune system that's doing the damage then maybe the Mexican cases are resulting in more fatalities due to some difference in the immune response of the populations. Is there any credible reason why the Mexicans would have a stronger immune response than US citizens and would it be applicable over a large cross section of society?

Oh, yes there would. The Mexicans in particular would have a stronger immune system because of several reasons. Their drinking water is infected with tons of disease, their immune systems would have had to build up and adapt to fight off the pathogens that could exist there. Also, I'm pretty sure vaccinations and such are not as widespread over there as they are in America, for instance. This would mean that the immune systems would, yet again, have to be stronger, to fight off the viruses that we are normally immune to (ie Flu). Their standards of living may very well be responsible for them having a stronger immune system.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chris McGee

The ages of those that are infected in the US have mainly been that of school children with a few exceptions... That is why... Once the virus saturates the population in the US there should be a sudden spike in fatalities... ie. once exposure has reached enough of the population things probably will change... As of now the WHO states there are more confirmed cases of h1n1 in the US than in Mexico so... www.who.int...

~ LeAto

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Dutty_Rag

Dont go to the doctor's office. You will catch it there. Go to a hospital and wear a mask.

Dont touch the magazines at the doctors office if you do go. Dont let your children play with toys at the office.

Ive learned from personal experience. I only get sick after going to the doctor over a broken toe or something.

Use those hand sanitizers after touching shopping carts , public bathrooms , phones and door knobs.., Especially in Hotels.

Eat dinner at home not at a Restaurant .

That's a few tips.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
I would suggest a full quarantine of the Mexican nation, however brutal that may be. No one leaves Mexico until it is lifted, no exports, nothing can leave.

Things can go in and regular communications can be made to and from there, just that no one leaves or any material goods under any circumstances.

I would expect that things here in the US can more easily be contained with following proper procedures. While we move to contain things leaving Mexico, we can send in needed personnel, supplies, money, etc. until they can get this thing under control down there.

Right on man! Nuke dem sons a -- (sarcasm)

Wow, that idea almost seems logical, I mean, so far DOZENS have died, clearly now is the time to ignore state sovereignty (ultra sarcasm)

link   
Some more technical discussions going on over in this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Fewer conspiracies more virus facts...

Though on the conspiracy note anyone know anything about multiplex-automated genomic engineering(MAGE) and its potential uses with RNA?

~ LeAto

link   
Not to make light of this situation, but everyone please try to STAY CALM and THINK POSITIVELY.
The mind has a great influence on the immune system and you don't want to weaken your immune system now. When the "fight and flight" response kicks in, less energy and nutrients are supplied to the immune system. Read Biology of Belief by B. Lipton to get more insight. Also, see this thread, about the benefits of taking high doses of vitamin C to combat the Avian flu: vitamin C and avian flu

Also, try to laugh and have fun as much as you can. This is great for the immune system too. Don't read too much information on the swine flu, although do try to keep informed (just don't overdo it).

Here's a bit of humor by Brian Regan, a clean-cut comedian, to help lighten things up a bit:
Brian Regan on intelligent life on other planets and moon stuff

Be happy, stay calm, and don't panic or worry (I'm convincing myself here too, I tend to get in a frazzle about these things as well!).

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Highground

Oh, yes there would. The Mexicans in particular would have a stronger immune system because of several reasons. Their drinking water is infected with tons of disease, their immune systems would have had to build up and adapt to fight off the pathogens that could exist there. Also, I'm pretty sure vaccinations and such are not as widespread over there as they are in America, for instance. This would mean that the immune systems would, yet again, have to be stronger, to fight off the viruses that we are normally immune to (ie Flu). Their standards of living may very well be responsible for them having a stronger immune system.

Hmmm not sure about that. I've been to lots of places in Mexico, some good, some bad - but the water was always fine and not 'full of diseases' they just advise you not to drink it if your coming from the US/Europe etc because of the different mineral composition etc - which can cause stomach upset.

Trust me - their water is pretty fine - if they didn't treat it it would carry cholera and diphtheria in no time - and no matter how good your immune system, you wouldn't last long drinking that.

I can see the standard of living being an issue in some parts of mexico - but this was in Mexico City, where most people live pretty well (on the grand scale of things) - it's pretty civilised with good healthcare, sanitation etc - better than some US cities in fact.

I've also travelled extensively in the US, and know that there are a lot of inner city environments where living conditions are practically 3rd world. For example - consider what would happen if the virus were to get into Compton, East LA or parts of the South East?

I'm not having a go at you or in any way suggesting any bias in your comments, I just don't think this is the right explanation here. I think something else is at work.

Maybe something to do with the virus, but also maybe a lifestyle thing too - what else do we know about the people who have been infected?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
And, conveniently this company:

Baxter International Inc, based in Illinois says

He says Baxter has patented technology that allows the company to develop vaccines in a half the time it usually takes -- about 13 weeks instead of 26.

Businessweek Source

*Hand over mouth* .... how could it be possible...

AB1

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegagefather

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
I would suggest a full quarantine of the Mexican nation, however brutal that may be. No one leaves Mexico until it is lifted, no exports, nothing can leave.

Things can go in and regular communications can be made to and from there, just that no one leaves or any material goods under any circumstances.

I would expect that things here in the US can more easily be contained with following proper procedures. While we move to contain things leaving Mexico, we can send in needed personnel, supplies, money, etc. until they can get this thing under control down there.

Right on man! Nuke dem sons a -- (sarcasm)

When a country is sending it's diseased population across your border and risking the lives of potentially thousands of your citizens, you do what you have to and f""k their soverignty.

They have an obligation to control their own populus and keep this shizzle under wraps. They have failed, blockade them I say.

Seriously - if it turned out this thing was so bad it was a threat to all humanity, we really should nuke them before it gets out of control, and I'm being serious here too.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Dutty_Rag]

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Dutty_Rag]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dutty_Rag
Hmmm not sure about that. I've been to lots of places in Mexico, some good, some bad - but the water was always fine and not 'full of diseases' they just advise you not to drink it if your coming from the US/Europe etc because of the different mineral composition etc - which can cause stomach upset.

Trust me - their water is pretty fine - if they didn't treat it it would carry cholera and diphtheria in no time - and no matter how good your immune system, you wouldn't last long drinking that.

I can see the standard of living being an issue in some parts of mexico - but this was in Mexico City, where most people live pretty well (on the grand scale of things) - it's pretty civilised with good healthcare, sanitation etc - better than some US cities in fact.

I've also travelled extensively in the US, and know that there are a lot of inner city environments where living conditions are practically 3rd world. For example - consider what would happen if the virus were to get into Compton, East LA or parts of the South East?

I'm not having a go at you or in any way suggesting any bias in your comments, I just don't think this is the right explanation here. I think something else is at work.

Maybe something to do with the virus, but also maybe a lifestyle thing too - what else do we know about the people who have been infected?

And I may be wrong. I was just speculating, I've never been to Mexico, personally. I just remember some things I've heard from friends that have been there. Thanks for the insight. As I say, I like to be proven wrong, it's a learning experience. Now - I think there's a reason their immune systems would be stronger. I just can't put my finger on it.

The Spanish Flu... Was it from Spain, and was the death toll there considerably larger or smaller than anywhere else? Perhaps they are just more succeptable to certain strains than anyone else because of genetic characteristics.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
"JUST IN -- Local authorities say that 6 more people have died from suspected swine flu in Mexico, which would raise the death toll to 92"

From Twitter...it would appear that for whatever reason,the mortality rate is increasing?

I'm officially worried now.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
As awful as this might sound, these quick and sudden deaths actually have a tinge of optimism. If the virus is killing a large % of those that it infects so very quickly, it's going to be a very short-lived virus. Viruses need live bodies to infect, and these live infected bodies need to be not-on-death's-doorstep to then spread the virus to other live bodies and so forth. The reason the typical influenza season lasts so long is that for the most part, people get infected, feel crappy but still go to work, church, malls, etc. while they are contagious, pass it on to 4-5 other people, they pass it on to 4-5 more people, etc. - and only a very small % of the total population dies. If a virus was smart, it would infect but not kill. The reason ebola, SARS, even avian flu hasn't become a pandemic comes from the fact that people die before they can pass on the virus in mass quantities to other people.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

www.replikins.com...

Predicted a possible h1n1 outbreak last year... They can also manufacture a vaccine for it in shorter than normal times due to methodologies...

:: shrug :: Baxter Pharmaceuticals does not concern me all that greatly because of this... :: shrug ::

my 2 cents on the Baxter issue...

~ LeAto

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join