It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the Skeptics who say "where's your evidence?"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
reply to post by Xtrozero

"You see here is the problem. Is there life throughout the universe? Yes, and Earth is proof… "

One datum point does not constitute proof. The sample is one step about no data points at all.

My point is that earth is proof that there is life in the universe, how much life, and what kind who knows, but earth is undeniable proof that life exists. What earth doesn’t do is provide proof of space fairing alien life, or that intelligence is even a postitive trait, and in fact it has demonstarted that intelligent life is extremely rare.

If and when we do add simple life on Mars and maybe Venus that will provide more data points. I would be very surprised if we didn’t find at least proof of ancient life on those planets.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by XtrozeroMy point is that earth is proof that there is life in the universe, how much life, and what kind who knows, but earth is undeniable proof that life exists. What earth doesn’t do is provide proof of space fairing alien life, or that intelligence is even a postitive trait, and in fact it has demonstarted that intelligent life is extremely rare.

If and when we do add simple life on Mars and maybe Venus that will provide more data points. I would be very surprised if we didn’t find at least proof of ancient life on those planets.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by Xtrozero]

Okay, I agree with you that there is proof of some life in the Universe. And I really, really hope we're not just a fluke.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

Okay, I agree with you that there is proof of some life in the Universe. And I really, really hope we're not just a fluke.

I fear that unless there are other factors in play we are very alone. Even if by the odds there ends up a few alien races the shear distance involved between them still makes a rather insurmountable barrier. If by chance we add in some kind of dimensional travel and/or we and other planets were actually seeded by an ancient race then we could have interesting times ahead, but all that is fiction and something to ponder on over some good scotch.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by XtrozeroI fear that unless there are other factors in play I we are very alone. Even if by of odds there ends up a few alien races the shear distance involved between them still makes a rather insurmountable barrier. If by chance we add in some kind of dimensional travel and/or we and other planets were actually seeded by an ancient race then we could have interesting times ahead, but all that is fiction and something to ponder on over some good scotch.

The only thing that will allow us to meet somebody else is something we haven't conceived of yet. (Someone will be along shortly to tell us what that is, I'll bet.
)

[edit on 3-5-2009 by Gawdzilla]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stardust13

Uniqueness?? What is our uniqueness? War? Ignorance? Close mindedness? Greed?

Think bigger......6.5 Billion individuals with unique thoughts, actions, pasts, futures and perceptions for starters and so far, there's no proof of similar anywhere else.

Maybe the ET's are watching us to see how far we can go:

Or maybe not!

Humanity on the basis of self destruction. Well, I would like to get off this planet at the rate its going.

And go where...how long could you hold your breath?

And we could use a little bit of help from the unexpected.

Maybe you shouldn't hold your breath.

To expect any kind of answer to come from an outside source and make things here better is naive.

It's up to us to do the hard work isn't it? Are you doing your bit, or are you going to leave it to someone/something that doesn't even exist in any kind of everyday reality? There are only reports, stories and evidence....no ET handshakes, no instructions and certainly no intergalactic magic wand.

"This" is "It". Sorry if you feel dissappointed.

[edit on 3/5/2009 by nerbot]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by platosallegory
The op makes a great point.
Many so called skeptics and debunkers don't use reason.

And with all these reports and experiences that one missing link has never come to light...doesn't that bother you in the least?

There is also a missing link in Darwin's "Origin of the Species", according to him we evolved from apes, they have the before and after fossil evidence but no in between, which some have called the missing link and this is presented as fact in our schools, so the insurmountable eye witness reports on UFO's and ET's and fallible testimonies from military types and pilots who are 110% credible does not count just because there is a missing link? I am a rational man but there is an old saying, you cant have smoke with no fire...

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DARREN1976

There is also a missing link in Darwin's "Origin of the Species", according to him we evolved from apes, they have the before and after fossil evidence but no in between, which some have called the missing link and this is presented as fact in our schools, so the insurmountable eye witness reports on UFO's and ET's and fallible testimonies from military types and pilots who are 110% credible does not count just because there is a missing link? I am a rational man but there is an old saying, you cant have smoke with no fire...

And one of the reasons it is called the THEORY of evolution...
When you look at evolution there is a lot you can study and not just find bones of a missing link as empirical evidence. Even the term missing link is rather over played since there really is not a one link association since evolution is just a continuous slow process. When you go back 2 million years with Lucy she has a good mix of human and ape like characteristics, so a logical path is there, but it is still a theory.

When you look deeper at our chromosomes below compared to Chimps, Gorillas and orangutans, they are very close with the exception that apes have 24 chromosomes and we have 23. That is proof positive that we are related, but how/when was the split off "missing link" is what the theory is about.

And here once again you have only eye witnesses as your smoking gun for ET. I’m not debating that they didn’t see anything, and for many I do believe they saw something that cannot be explained at this point in time, but to jump from that to ET is what I find as a major error in yours’ and other’s logic.

There was a psychological test conducted awhile back. A group of like 25 students was setup to be transported in a bus for some made up reason, and they were driven past a scene of colored smoke with a few people standing around some sheet metal wearing military style uniforms. The bus slowed down so they all could get a good look and one of the military dressed persons loudly ordered the bus to drive away.

After a few months these people were interviewed and their stories were extremely different than the actual scene. Some thought they saw guns and were shot at, others saw a space craft with dead bodies and so on. Even after they were shown real photos some refused to believe and still saw their version as the real event.

My point is that the eye witness is the weakest form of evidence. I was kind when I said there was a missing link, the real truth is there is nothing but eye witness style proof and even though a credible picture shows lights and the witness says they danced around in the sky for two hours they are still at this point only dancing lights, so don’t let your imagination fill in the gaps.

So here my friend with all the empirical evidence in favor that we and apes are related it is still a theory, but a stack of eye witness reports and photos with really nothing else supporting it is enough proof to say that ET is real and out there.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Touche'! valid points all of them but the missing evolutionary link was an example as you was the first to mention a missing link so i thought i would just throw that in to the works as the thread seemed to be slowing down, and as its my first thread i want a few pages at least, thanx for your input guys, skeptics and believers alike, some really good stuff coming out, amaze me....

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join