It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Distant Detection Of Water In The Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

— Astronomers have found the most distant signs of water in the Universe to date. The water vapour is thought to be contained in a jet ejected from a supermassive black hole at the centre of a galaxy, named MG J0414+0534

The radiation from the water maser was emitted when the Universe was only about 2.5 billion years old, a fifth of its current age.

"The radiation that we detected has taken 11.1 billion years to reach the Earth. However, because the Universe has expanded like an inflating balloon in that time, stretching out the distances between points, the galaxy in which the water was detected is about 19.8 billion light years away," explained Dr McKean.

since life as we know it needs water i guess this just increases the chances of life elsewhere in the universe.

of course we all knew it would be everywhere but i just thought this would be something to share.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I think this is interesting
I mean Astronomers can detect water vapour coming out of a black hole 19.8 billion light years away but they couldnt detect any on Mars.... That is until they saw a water droplet on one of the rovers legs.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

What?Wow.......It might be true that black holes are the creators of life........Or I would just like to know how water vapor got ejected out a blackhole. It would either have to of swallowed a massive water planet or have broken down certain molecules to the simpler H2O. Good post

new topics

join