It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Swine Flu" Is Missing Lab Samples from Fort Derick!!!Mosquito Spread!!! Stay indoors!!!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

www.fredericknewspost.com...

Fort Detrick disease samples may be missing Originally published April 22, 2009 Army criminal investigators are looking into the possibility that disease samples are missing from biolabs at Fort Detrick. As first reported in today's edition of The Frederick News-Post by columnist Katherine Heerbrandt, the investigators are from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division unit at Fort Meade. Chad Jones, spokesman for Fort Meade, said CID is investigating the possibility of missing virus samples from the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases. He said the only other detail he could provide is that the investigation is ongoing. Fort Detrick does not have its own CID office, Jones said, which is why Fort Meade's CID was brought in. Jones said he could not comment on when the investigation started. CID is responsible for investigating crimes where the Army is, or may be, a party of interest, according to the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command website. USAMRIID is the Army's top biodefense lab, where researchers study pathogens including Ebola, anthrax and plague. In February, USAMRIID halted all its research into these and other diseases, known as "select agents" following the discovery of virus samples that weren't listed in its inventory. The institute's commander, Col. John Skvorak, ordered research halted while workers conducted a complete inventory of the institute's select agents. That inventory is nearly completed, though the exact end date isn't known yet, said Caree Vander Linden, USAMRIID spokeswoman. Vander Linden said she didn't know about the CID investigation and referred questions to the CID's head public affairs office. There is no indication whether the CID investigation is connected to USAMRIID's re-inventorying of its select agent stocks.

www.google.com...

Samples of Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis were discovered missing last year in an inventory of a group of samples left by a departing researcher, said Caree Vander Linden, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick. VEE occurs naturally, typically in horses and mules, though it can also make humans ill, she said

en.wikipedia.org...

Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus is a mosquito-borne viral pathogen that causes Venezuelan equine encephalitis or encephalomyelitis (VEE). VEE can affect all equine species, such as horses, donkeys, and zebras. After infection, equines may suddenly die or show progressive central nervous system disorders. Humans also can contract this disease. Healthy adults who become infected by the virus may experience FLU-like symptoms, such as high fevers and HEADACHES. People with weakened immune systems and the young and the elderly can become severely ill or die from this disease. The virus that causes VEE is transmitted primarily by mosquitoes that bite an infected animal and then bite and feed on another animal or human. The speed with which the disease spreads depends on the subtype of the VEE virus and the density of mosquito populations. Enzootic subtypes of VEE are diseases endemic to certain areas. Generally these serotypes do not spread to other localities. Enzootic subtypes are associated with the rodent-mosquito transmission cycle. These forms of the virus can cause human illness but generally do not affect equine health. Epizootic subtypes, on the other hand, can spread rapidly through large populations. These forms of the virus are highly pathogenic to equines and can also affect human health. Equines, rather than rodents, are the primary animal species that carry and spread the disease. Infected equines develop an enormous quantity of virus in their circulatory system. When a blood-feeding insect feeds on such animals, it picks up this virus and transmits it to other animals or humans. Although other animals, such as cattle, SWINE, and dogs, can become infected, they generally do not show signs of the disease or contribute to its spread.

www.cbsnews.com...

"My chest just hurts and I have a shortness of breath," one senior said. "I have a few HEADACHES. My ears were hurting me earlier but they're OK now. My HEADACHES go in and out."

If you notice from the above news release the missing vials are
Venezuelan equine encephalitis,which have been missing since LAST YEAR.. Characteristics of Venezuelan equine encephalitis are flu like symptoms and HEADACHES..Also notice that it also infects SWINE and the primary transmission method are mosquitoes which infects all equine animals...It is now spring and the mosquito population is now growing in full swing...... April and May is the official beginning of Mosquito season... So watch out!!! stay indoors, and avoid eating pork or cattle .Also if you must go out stay away from indoor populated areas. Mosquito season officially starts this month and May in New york according to NYC health department, www.nyc.gov... Is this another Coincidence? with the now new outbreak in Queens????????? I strongly believe the primary transmission method is mosquito bites,nonetheless I would eliminate pork and beef from diet until the situation is back under control!

[edit on 26-4-2009 by thefreepatriot]

Mod Note: How to Quote– Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Apr 27 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
comment removed

Edit:please fix that quote

[edit on 4/26/2009 by Tentickles]

[edit on 4/26/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I read in the news that those horses died from a medicine mix up. They were poisoned accidently. That's so sad, huh?

As for the swine flu, I have no idea what to believe about it right now. I think they truth about it will come out, but not very soon.

Who knows?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by uplander
reply to post by Tentickles

I read in the news that those horses died from a medicine mix up. They were poisoned accidently. That's so sad, huh?

As for the swine flu, I have no idea what to believe about it right now. I think they truth about it will come out, but not very soon.

Who knows?

That is horrible! Poor horsies.
I dont know what to think of it either. If it gets worse then I will form an opinion on it. Spanish Flu 1918 anyone?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Very interesting!!! I live in south florida!!!!! I will investigate, from what I understand it is still a mystery as to why they died!!! A possible piece to this puzzle...... Mosquito season was also in full swing when those horses died(I know i already had multiple mosquito bites)

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The vials went missing, believed incinerated from now until sometime before 2004.

Please can we think a bit before we get all caught up in these things?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by thefreepatriot

Exactly where do you get the information to come to the conclusion you used in the title?

As far as the horses, it was reported that they died because of a supplement given to them that was not properly prepared. No virus there.

People are worked up enough about the swine (not equine) flu , without these sensationalized thread titles.

My two cents.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

chadwuckus... the the key word in your statement is "believed to be" and if you noticed the virus does meet the characteristics of the current epidemic... Also if you notice mosquito season is now in full swing ...I believe the primary transmission method is via mosquitos... Do yo have any other theories you would like to add based on the current information thats out there? as they say its better to be safe then sorry ...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SaveTheDrama

read the characteristics of the missing virus and compare to the current epidemic, you need to do more then just read the title

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I read both, and the title of the thread is not what is presented in the opening post you provided.

So this is a hunch of yours, that's fine, carry on with your research

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SaveTheDrama

Ya call it a hunch......... too many coincidences here... the only way too know for sure is for you or me to our hands on a sample from a patient... and have it tested... which off coarse is never going to happen....

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
The vials went missing, believed incinerated from now until sometime before 2004.

Please can we think a bit before we get all caught up in these things?

Chadickis according to this news article they have been missing since last year... ??

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Swine flu isn't mosquito borne, the only similarities are the flu like symptoms.

You need more to connect the two.

Also, I doubt we would have even heard of the lost vials if it was known they created an outbreak.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I just posted more connections to the virus that went missing from Fort Derick.(headaches). As a matter of fact Swine Flu is spread via respiratory system(correct me if wrong)...From pigs to humans... do you think it is likely that the virus jumped from pigs to humans in an industrialized area...??? or more from mosquitoes? Pork is also always well cooked.... the chances of infection from consumption is low(never documented)..again please give me any theories you may have..if you have something... So far the media has failed to give us the primary transmission method... What are your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thefreepatriot
Chadickis according to this news article they have been missing since last year... ??

All it says is that the vials were recently discovered as missing, no dates.

Some more information:

The vials contained samples of Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis, a virus that sickens horses and can be spread to humans by mosquitoes. In 97 percent of cases, humans with the virus suffer flu-like symptoms, but it can be deadly in about 1 out of 100 cases, according to Caree Vander Linden, a spokeswoman for the Army's Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases. There is an effective vaccine for the disease and there hasn't been an outbreak in the United States since 1971.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Swine Influenza (Flu)

Source CDC
Swine Influenza (swine flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza that regularly cause outbreaks of influenza among pigs. Swine flu viruses do not normally infect humans, however, human infections with swine flu do occur, and cases of human-to-human spread of swine flu viruses has been documented. See General Information about Swine Flu.

From December 2005 through February 2009, a total of 12 human infections with swine influenza were reported from 10 states in the United States. Since March 2009, a number of confirmed human cases of a new strain of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in the U.S. and internationally have been identified. An investigation into these cases is ongoing. For more information see Human Swine Flu Investigation.

Swine influenza virus (referred to as Swine influenza viruses or SIV) refers to influenza cases that are caused by Orthomyxoviruses endemic to pig populations. SIV strains isolated to date have been classified either as Influenzavirus C or one of the various subtypes of the genus Influenzavirus A.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

Swine flu infects people every year and is found typically in people who have been in CONTACT with PIGS, although there have been cases of person-to-person transmission.[2] Symptoms include fever, disorientation, stiffness of the joints, vomiting, and loss of consciousness ending in death.[3] Swine influenza is known to be caused by influenza A subtypes H1N1,[4] H1N2,[4] H3N1,[5] H3N2,[4] and H2N3.[6]

In swine, three influenza A virus subtypes (H1N1, H3N2, and H1N2) are circulating throughout the world.[citation needed] In the United States, the H1N1 subtype was exclusively prevalent among swine populations before 1998; however, since late August 1998, H3N2 subtypes have been isolated from pigs. Most H3N2 virus isolates are triple reassortants, meaning that it contains genes from human (HA, NA, and PB1), swine (NS, NP, and M), and avian (PB2 and PA) lineages.[citation needed]

In order to get infected from the "swine flu"t he virus would have to jump from pig to human... this is unlikely even in a rural area, imagine an industrialized area such as New York City??? Very unlikely that it came from consumption... Pork is usually well cooked (everyone knows this).. All the cases happened nearly simultaneously from very different regions,... From Mexico , To New York and happen to coincide with the start of mosquito season.. Swine flu is not spread via mosquitoes but between close contact with infected swine... again highly unlikely in NYC...

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Apr 27 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Swine flu has been transmitted to humans many times before.

The most recent was 2007:

2007 Philippine outbreak
On August 20, 2007 Department of Agriculture officers investigated the outbreak of swine flu in Nueva Ecija and Central Luzon, Philippines. The mortality rate is less than 10% for swine flu, if there are no complications like hog cholera. On July 27, 2007, the Philippine National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS) raised a hog cholera "red alert" warning over Metro Manila and 5 regions of Luzon after the disease spread to backyard pig farms in Bulacan and Pampanga, even if these tested negative for the swine flu virus.

en.wikipedia.org...

So it's not new, we don't fully know how resilient the strain is yet.

But I'd hazard a guess, like most flu viruses it has adapted to get around our immune system.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Greetings from south florida!

Our polo horses were killed because either the vet or the company they used to create the non-FDA approved horse vitamins messed up the dosage of certain ingridients, probably selenium. Apparently the died quite quickly after ingesting them.

www.palmbeachpost.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I agree... it has happened before, however for it to happen in industrialized areas where contact with pigs are low is very improbable, Notice alll cases have happened nearly at the same time? and if in fact it was transported there would be a lag time between cases due to incubation period.... I say its more likely the people where infected from there region... and in order for that to happen in NYC chances are none it was from direct pig to human contact.......so that leaves us with an alternative transmission method... and the best one I think that fits the bill are mosquitos as we are now officially in mosquito season... and the missing vials contain a virus that not only affects swine, horses and humans.... but is spread via Mosquitoes............... the only way for sure is to get our hands on a sample and test it..

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_awoke

very sad!!
I can't believe the vets would mess up like that! I love horses... too me they are amazing animals... and for them to end like that really saddens my soul

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join