It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Golden Girls' star Bea Arthur dies at the age 86

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Beatrice Arthur, best known for her biting humour and roles as Maude Findlay on "Maude" and Dorothy Zbornak on "The Golden Girls," died Saturday at the age of 86. Despite her fame as a television actress, Arthur first established herself on Broadway. In 1966, she won a Tony award for her performance in the musical "Mame."

www.ctv.ca...

This was truly talented and funny woman. I thought Golden Girls was a great show, very funny. They don't make shows like that anymore. RIP Bea Arthur.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
May she rest in peace.

I always enjoyed her appearances on the Comedy Central Roast's! She was hilarious and had a terrific sense of humor about herself.

She will be missed.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

To me, I will always remember her as Maude. I had a great aunt who was just like Maude, and she was great fun when she visited us.

Bea Arthur never let how she looked or sounded get in the way of her success, and played larger than life characters who were real. Rest in peace, Ms Arthur.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Same here. She was Archie Bunker's cousin Maude, right? And then the spinoff show resulted.. Right on Maude!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Yes, Maude began on Archie Bunker. Another great show for the ages. Classics in the true sense of the word.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Maude was a spin-off of All In the Family. Others included:

The Jeffersons
Checking In (Florence spin-off)
Maude
Good Times
Gloria
Archie Bunkers Place

Bea Arthur had a 25 year career on Broadway before starring in Maude. The show would never be on the air today, as broadcast TV caters to the young and teens. Maude and Golden Girls were one of a kind shows.

top topics

join