It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US interpreter who witnessed torture in Iraq shot herself with service rifle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

US interpreter who witnessed torture in Iraq shot herself with service rifle

www .independent.co.uk

It is possible that one of the victims of the United States' torture policy is a young, devout Mormon woman from Arizona called Alyssa Peterson. She was a soldier who not only saw the rough interrogation methods that the US military used on Iraqi prisoners, but was deeply troubled by them. Some weeks after formally protesting about them to her superiors, and asking to be reassigned, she took her gun and killed herself. The cause of her death was kept secret for two years, and the mystery of what Peterson witnessed, and the content of the notes she made, still goes on.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
sigh...

What a sad story.

This paints a personal portrait that not all soldiers involved with the torture / abuse programs were apathetic towards what was being done.

And it sounds like this woman's stance and outspokenness on the issue has been covered up and swept under the carpet.

I'm also wondering whether she really shot herself, or whether she was 'silenced'?

Such a sad situation, all the way around. I hope we can one day evolve past all this garbage and barbarisms...

www .independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
i wish that depresion about past events wasnt so bad.... the innocent truly suffer...

She may have been silinced though, murder is a possibility.....

Semper fi... Stop the NWO

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This is kinda old. Search around a bit.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Considering the records of the interrogation was destroyed, special units called 'Cages' are used to punish prisoners and the Bush administration used secret sites and this principled soldier objected, the likely scenario of what really happened could be entirely different.

I see this way; the soldier was assigned to a torture squad because of her linguistic abilities. She could have objected to the assignment due to disgust or principles and asked to be reassigned. The authorities may have seen her as a potential whistleblower and suicided her.

Someone who is suicidal or depressed is more likely to go with the flow and not make objections to what she sees.

[edit on 013030p://pm3041 by masonwatcher]

new topics

top topics

join