It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

threatened by the elderly

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I was out yesterday at the mall with a friend and had the craziest experience yet. I was looking at a spinning rack with jewelry on it and I was on one side and this elderly lady of about 70 was next to me looking at another side. She kept trying to spin it while I was still looking. I said to her "I'm sorry but I'm still looking." I was nice as can be and she went insane! She looked at me and said "I was here first" and then spun the thing around! I looked at her and said "what are you 12?" She then said "You dont want to mess with me, you better watch it." I was like OMG!!!! I had NEVER seen anyone let alone and elderly person act like this. My friend stood there dumb founded as well as other people. They all said I cant believe she was so rude to you and you just politely told her you were looking at the jewelry.
Now normally I agree with the whole respect your elders thing but NOT when they act like a darn teenager ESP when I was nice to her! After she threatened me I looked at her and said "what are you going to do hit me with your cane?" I normally would have just said nothing but I will not be bullied by anyone when I was polite. There was no need for it! I mean this lady must have some major issues to just attack random people like that! The funny thing was she was still running her mouth as I walked around the store. I just ignored her at that point and went about my business.

Anyone else have any thing like this ever happen?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Wow. That was extremely rude!

I was had an elderly woman cut in front of me in the deli line. The deli lady apologized to me, having seen what happened, and I let it go under the "respect your elders" rule. But then the damn woman kept changing her order! What should have taken a minute took ten. The second time she changed her order, after the deli lady brought the first order to her, I said. "Look, you cut in front me and I didn't say anything. But your rudeness just keeps getting worse and it is pissing me off. Wrap it up!"

She looked at me as though she had been slapped and then hurriedly walked away.

I'll be polite and show respect, but crossing the line is crossing the line. It sounds like we both had that happen.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

Wow that's nuts! I would have been mad too esp since she was taking so long AND being rude. You being nice to her and she turned out to not be so nice!
I too will be nice and polite until you get to a certain point then I will say something. Im pretty tolerant of things but I dont like rudeness!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

There are some people who have been mean and nasty all there lives. No one tells them about it, and they grow into bitter elderly people. It isn't because they are old, they have always been mean and rude.

Just imagine how they treat their families.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
In a situation like this I would probably get myself into trouble (again) by saying something to her like:

Go ahead madam, you need something to take the focus off your face.

or

Yes, you were here first, but I'll be around long after you're gone.

outright laughter also works a treat because it make the offender feel dumb for over-reacting....mwaaaahaahaahaa!

It's comlpetely up to you wether someone gets to you or not isn't it?

Be the rock........one that laughs...

[edit on 26/4/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I don't recall anything like that ever happening to me involving an older person but I have delt with my fair share of rude morons.

I feel for you, I don't know what posseses people to behave the way they do sometimes. The way the respond to a situation is just so outlandish and uncalled for that it catches you off guard.

It sounds like you handled that situation about the same as I would have. In the end the lady only made a fool of herself.

kidflash is right too. There are people who are just mean and nasty there whole lives. I don't know why, but they just are. perhaps they have been spolied there whole lives and have never had any one really stand up to them when they throw a fit after not getting there way...

My grandfather is one of those people. Just be glad you are not a member of that ladies family. It is NEVER fun to be around a person like that.

If she is anything at all like my grandfather, then she is miserable all the time. Nothing at all pleases her, and nothing is ever good enough for her, and she will not hesitate to say exactly what she thinks of you. no matter how inappropriate it might me.

It is a constant barrage of insults and put downs, and the few times you stand up to them they react as if the way you are responding is completley uncalled for and they dont seem to understand why you would feel the need to stand up to them.

People like that are the most ignorant , arrogant people I know of on this earth.It is a wonder people like that didnt get beat up more often as kids.

Sorry for the rant within your rant. This just gave me a good excuse to vent!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
It is a wonder people like that didnt get beat up more often as kids.

Maybe that's what made them who they are now??

You're right, it's never fun being around those kind of people, especially family and most people say "it's just the way they are, don't let them get to you".

Easier said than done sometimes but in the rare situations I find myself in when a person who should know better decides to take a lifetime of misery out on me...one thing makes it bearable and can sometimes act as a mirror for the purpotrator....

Never let anyone steal your energy, it is your gift not their right and first they must deserve it. And forgiveness can be pointless unless aknowledged with understanding.

I know my above post may seem a little harsh to some, but part of the surprise in it is part of the mirror, and how many people truly see what's reflected without taking a step back once in a while.

Boo!

Vice-versa...It is also our own reactions to people that can provide our own mirrors.....I know when I have upset people and it feels bad, maybe because I have had energy stolen before and understand how it feels.

We are all thieves at sometime or other. Regret for those moments is not easy to share for all though and not everyone learns lessons.

Is this all just part of a viscious circle. The unloved taking the love and the lovers taking the pain?

Got me thinking now.....thanks.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
It is a wonder people like that didnt get beat up more often as kids.

Maybe that's what made them who they are now??

You're right, it's never fun being around those kind of people, especially family and most people say "it's just the way they are, don't let them get to you".

Easier said than done sometimes but in the rare situations I find myself in when a person who should know better decides to take a lifetime of misery out on me...one thing makes it bearable and can sometimes act as a mirror for the purpotrator....

Never let anyone steal your energy, it is your gift not their right and first they must deserve it. And forgiveness can be pointless unless aknowledged with understanding.

I know my above post may seem a little harsh to some, but part of the surprise in it is part of the mirror, and how many people truly see what's reflected without taking a step back once in a while.

Boo!

Vice-versa...It is also our own reactions to people that can provide our own mirrors.....I know when I have upset people and it feels bad, maybe because I have had energy stolen before and understand how it feels.

We are all thieves at sometime or other. Regret for those moments is not easy to share for all though and not everyone learns lessons.

Is this all just part of a viscious circle. The unloved taking the love and the lovers taking the pain?

Got me thinking now.....thanks.

Well said. VERY well said. I just don't know what else to say at this point other than I agree with what you just said completley.

Thank YOU

[edit on 26-4-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Was the woman looking at the display before you were? If so the polite thing to do would be to wait until she had finished looking.

If she was not there first it would have been an act of kindness if you allowed her to look first.

I meet a lot of young people that are as rude and crude as can be. But I also meet elderly folks that are very hateful and mean.

Both types of people are acting poorly.

I must give you a word to the wise: All my elderly female friends carry a firearm in their purses and they know how to use it.

And what makes you think you are going to outlive the older people you meet? We all have the moment we are in. We are not guarneteed another second of life.

Be kind to the old people. If you are lucky you will live long enough to be elderly.

The only alternative to growing old is death. I prefer growing older.

Oh, watch the canes too. Mine is really cool. With a quick twist I have a very sharp double sided blade that cuts deep and wide.

That type of cane is very popular among the elderly.

Please, be nice to us old folks....you will be us in a few years. It will happen so quick you will wonder where the years went.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
lol..............Very well said, dizziedame!!

I always - unless something is reall wrong with me - try to put myself in the other person's shoes. Especially older folks! Maybe they have no one....all their family & friends have passed.....maybe they have often been taken advantage of by others and feel it is because of their age.....could be numerous things. But I try to speak friendly with them....offer some conversation. Maybe a chance for them to unload what is bothering them & let them know everyone are not ass hole. Because a large majority of the public are ass hole, you know??

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Haaa yeah that would be funny! I was laughing when I said what I said to her. It was just so out of left field! The fact she carried on after I walked away was even funnier. My friend and I were just laughing.
I would hate to see how she treats people she knows and loves. Those poor people!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Was the woman looking at the display before you were? If so the polite thing to do would be to wait until she had finished looking.

If she was not there first it would have been an act of kindness if you allowed her to look first.

I meet a lot of young people that are as rude and crude as can be. But I also meet elderly folks that are very hateful and mean.

I must give you a word to the wise: All my elderly female friends carry a firearm in their purses and they know how to use it.

And what makes you think you are going to outlive the older people you meet? We all have the moment we are in. We are not guarneteed another second of life.

Be kind to the old people. If you are lucky you will live long enough to be elderly.

Oh, watch the canes too. Mine is really cool. With a quick twist I have a very sharp double sided blade that cuts deep and wide.

Please, be nice to us old folks....you will be us in a few years. It will happen so quick you will wonder where the years went.

I am always kind to old people. Just because she is old it doesnt give her the right to threaten me and be a rude horrible person. We were both looking at it at the same time. She obviously has some anger issues. I asked her POLITELY and told her POLITELY that I was still looking and she flipped out. It doesnt matter how nice someone is to another there is always going to be someone who is miserable and they will take it out on anyone they want to.
I am the type of person who will help the elderly with their groceries, or pump their gas or what have you, but this lady was just mean plain and simple. It showed esp after I walked away and she was still going on. I mean come on!! She acted like I pushed her out of the way for God's sake. Some people just dont know how to be nice.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
When dealing with the elderly always remember that growing old is painful.
The body is wearing out. Also the mind is usually not working as well as it once did, with dementia and senility coming into play. Some old folks are completely unaware of their rudeness and probably not very aware of the criticisms leveled against them.

In these situations I try to look at the event as an opportunity for my own personal growth in exercising grace and style and acceptance.

Truth be known, sometimes I get so aggravated, I scream at them and call them names.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame

Sounds to me that the OP WAS nice, and after the old lady went nuts they became the bigger person and walked away, as she ranted and raved the whole time....

Look, yes it would have been polit for them to wait and let the old person look first, but that didnt happen. They asked the lady not to spin it because they were not through and she spun it anyway.

He/she made a more than warranted response with "what are you 12" Because an old lady should be more mature than than. Then she threatened them and proceeded to rant and rave while they walked around shopping....

Why do you think that is ok? You say that all the old ladies you know carry guns, Is that supposed to give them the right to react the way the lady in this story did? I don't think so.

You say you have a cane with a sword in it, is your ability to stab some one to death supposed to give you the right to do what you want when you want no matter what? I don't think so.

Bottom line, the ladies actiosn were unwarranted and rude and selfish.

The person walked away and left her to make a fool of herself.

Just because you think all old people carry weapons that does not give them the right to do what they want when they want....

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Well, look at it this way, if she was really old, maybe she was in a hurry to check out all the jewelry before she dropped dead! She probably figured you had a few more years to look at it, than she had!

When you asked her if she was 12, think about it - a lot of people revert to being childlike when they get old.

I hope somebody takes me out back and shoots me before I end up like that!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I had a bit of a funny incident with an elderly woman who I think was abusing the I am elderly so respect me factor.
She hurled alot of mean words and I kept putting up with it and I took a passive approach to it all...then she says she should just punch me in the mouth.I drew the line there and told her if she does that then she can expect one right back.She shut up and calmed down.Her homecare worker had a look on her face that said sorry you have to put up with this crap look on her face.
Respecting the elderly doesn't include putting up with abuse because they are old.
I was actually there to help her.She wanted a light fixture changed.The work order came in and I was there the same day.Apparently I wasn't fast enough.
After that we became good friends and I used to go there xmas mornings to give her a hug and spend a bit of time with her.She was 93 and out lived everyone she knew and was alone.
I think she appreciated that I put her in her place and didn't take her crap.
I miss that feisty old gal.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Ain't that the truth dizziedame!
It seems like I was 20 years old yesterday. Another reason for her bad attitude could be the meds she's on. The doctors sure push a lot of pills. I don't trust them. I don't take anything. For me, Mind over Matter works best. I like to look at stuff in the stores, but material things don't mean anything. You can go ahead of me OP anytime. You can even have the object I'm holding in my hand.
Enjoy life while you can.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I've taken care of a lot of elderly people in my capacity as a nurse and I have a theory. The masks people wear their whole lives may begin to drop off as one gets older.

Think of all the times you've held your tongue and been polite or civil when you wanted to slap the sass out of somebody that desperately deserved it. I think as you get older it just becomes harder to do that (or you just get tired of it).

I've nearly had the crap kicked out of me (literally) by elderly patients who are unhappy with their lives, angry to an unbelievable degree and feel that nurses are a safe outlet for their unhappiness and anger. Their family and friends say that they were never like that before, even the ones who have had a lifetime of pain and or disease.

I think they just get tired of the charade of civility and let their true natures come through.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I think they just get tired of the charade of civility and let their true natures come through

I believe your absolutely correct whitewave. I too was a nurse and worked with the elderly. I've been spit on, punched, and yanked into a bathtub. Our highways are filled with these senior citizens who let their true natures come through. Just about everyday they cause an auto accident here. Some are either over medicated or on some new medications. One old fellow I seen at the post office could barely walk and I believe had Alzheimer's disease. He drove there by himself! :shk:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join