It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hand held laser gun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
hi
this is just a theory but to make a hand held laser you could get a cut diamond put it in a gun instead of ammunition and reflect sunlight of it. it would help because if you had a good laser gun that is used the same way as cannons twice the ammount of energy would go into youre hand as heat.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well if the gun shot out energy from the sun's rays, I think calling a ray gun would be more suitable

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Hypothetically saying that works.

You know in your heart the first time you would need to use it would be at night time

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I"m not sure why you think reflecting the sun off a diamond is going to do anything useful in a 'hand-held laser'. Sunlight reflecting off diamonds happens fairly frequently (particularly in places like Scottsdale), and it doesn't leave a trail of incinerated, or even mildly irradiated, people in its wake.

The only thing you'll get adding cut diamonds to a pistol (laser or otherwise) is a really flashy Beretta 92fs .

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The problem is one of basic physics. Only so much energy at at time comes from the sun to any one point. This amount of energy is what you have to play with when focusing it into a laser. The reason a magnifying glass can make a beam so well is the large surface area it has to collect from relative to the size of the beam. A cut diamond can only take in as much energy to focus as it can with the surface area, so it would have to be quite prohibitively large to make it work. This is also assuming that a diamond can be cut so as to focus a laser beam better than a standard lens can, which is another thing I have doubts about. However I don't know enough about diamonds to say or not.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

You know in your heart the first time you would need to use it would be at night time

Well, that would be just my luck anyway

Interesting little pet theory you have there breakout.

I don't understand just how much energy a diamond could produce by reflecting sunlight off of it. I mean, I have seen women walking around with diamond rings and earrings on and they are not exactly walking around shooting laserbeams from their fingers and ears....

Although that would be one interesting sight.

Could you explain a little more about your theory and you think it might work?

What do you think the mechanics of such a gun would look like?

join